Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 04:27 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
It seems like that’s the real agenda.
AB 60 has reduced hit-and-run accidents.

Report: Driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants reduced hit-and-runs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 10:42 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Hmm

Quote:
Hit-and-run accidents in California decreased by an estimated 4,000 in 2015 alone, saving drivers who were not at fault in crashes an estimated $3.5 million in out-of-pocket repair costs, according to the report.
But...

Quote:
The cost to reach and process the new applicants is estimated at $141 million over three years.
Maybe just deport them?

In program’s first year, nearly half of California’s driver’s licenses went to undocumented – Orange County Register

Old 12-04-2017, 11:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Interesting as CA already has one of the highest taxes on fuel and otherwise and have so many drivers paying through the nose for it. Yet they still have such crappy roads. And they don't have nearly as much rain, snow, ice or other precipitation to contend with as most other places in the country.
It's due to more traffic, roads in states like Nevada hold up much better because not as many people are driving on them.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Another benefit and tax payers get to pay for:
Drivers licenses for illegal aliens. And they automatically register you to vote when you apply for one. What could go wrong.
Nevada issues undocumented people driver's licenses too, and the fees in both states cover their issuance. You are not automatically registered to vote if you get an AB60 license so please don't make stuff up

"If you’re a non-citizen and try to register to vote with a California ID card or drivers license, the system will kick you out because the DMV database shows you’re a non-citizen."
How voter fraud could have happened in California – but probably didn’t – Orange County Register

Old 12-04-2017, 11:35 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's due to more traffic, roads in states like Nevada hold up much better because not as many people are driving on them.
I am sure i15 between California/Nevada border and Las Vegas, NV has just as much traffic on them as the average major freeway in California yet they are paved much better, in fact the pavement is significantly better than the same stretch of i15 just on the other side of the border which carries pretty much the same amount of traffic mostly those travelers to Las Vegas from SoCal as well as truck traffic.

i80 between Lake Tahoe and Reno is also a similar situation. Hey its not like all the traffic on i80 east magically disappear once across the Nevada border. But we know where each state begins by the look and feel of the quality of the pavement or concrete.

Also regarding roads on the east coast, one would notice the roads around Boston MA are super busy all the time with lots of traffic yet compared to California they are pretty well maintained and so are roads in neighboring states such as Connecticut. These places gets lots of rain on all seasons and lots of snow and ice in the winter mention road salt coupled with freeze and thaw cycles.

Though interestingly one fact that many people including officers, judges, and government personnel might not be aware of is that a non resident could indefinitely drive with whichever drivers license that they hold as long as it is legit and belong to them, they are subject to the same liability proof requirements, and liability insurance carriers cover foreign licensed drivers all the time. Based on the state's definition of domiciled residency some illegal immigrants may never actually become bona fide California residents.
Also driving licenses officially shouldn't be tied with voter elgibility, at least as what the small prints on all licenses issued in California says. I personally believe state's should set their on criteria independent of federal immigration laws as they technically are separate entities and states usually arn't allowed to touch immigration. So they should issue licenses based on whether a person meets the definition of a domiciled resident of California same as with school or other benefits.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 12-04-2017 at 11:46 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 10:07 AM

There are also three major legislation I left out.

Various measures of speed traps i.e photo radar and unmarked cars are forbidden for traffic enforcement. And the state has cracked down and eliminated local violators. The much "freeier" neighboring state of Arizona seems to be much looser in this regard. Unmarked vehicles for routine stops leads to dangerous situations for the driving public as impersonators may take advantage of this and Rob or mug people and we then have issues of unmarked cars going through red lights where they are poorly visible to oncoming traffic.

The option of trail by written declaration. And trail de novo if necessary.

School districts do not have to make up days if cancelled due to force majeure unlike most other states in the country. This is a good thing as many districts had to cancel school for many days due to the wildfires and smoke. Thanks to legislation back in 1990 that allows days to be credited if the district under good faith decides its too dangerous to hold school. I am surprised this legislation isn't copied by other states around the country.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:39 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nevada issues undocumented people driver's licenses too, and the fees in both states cover their issuance. You are not automatically registered to vote if you get an AB60 license so please don't make stuff up

"If you’re a non-citizen and try to register to vote with a California ID card or drivers license, the system will kick you out because the DMV database shows you’re a non-citizen."
How voter fraud could have happened in California – but probably didn’t – Orange County Register
I don't know what Nevada has to do with anything in this conversation.

There is a cost for the drivers licenses coming out of tax payer money. Please don't make stuff up.

The cost to process the expected 1.4 million new licensees over three years: $141 million.

On Thursday, Gov. Jerry Brown proposed allocating nearly $65 million from his state budget plan to pay for new hires and five facilities that will remain open for two to three years in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, South Central Coast and Santa Clara/San Jose. The money would pay for 1,000 employees, among other things, DMV spokesman Armando Botello said.

The cost of the program was initially projected to be $140 to $220 million for the first three years. The new licenses would raise about $50 million. AB60 did not allocate any additional money, but Alejo’s staff indicated at the time that the fee for undocumented immigrants could increase to make up the shortfall.

https://www.ocregister.com/2014/01/1...vers-licenses/

In regards to voter fraud, I we have an actual audit. I don't trust their system or DMV employees alone to do the right thing.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:51 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,389 times
California's a land for dreamers. Aldous Huxley wrote a book called After Many A Summer Dies the Swan about a dying hollywood millionaire an the unattainability of the true "California dream".

Everyone wants to be a billionaire tech tycoon or a movie star. It happens to less than .01% of californians but theres always hope. If you move to Missouri and get married and have five kids and get a job as an accountant you know your chance is 0%. So while people in other states have large families and nice homes, people here forego children and cramp in with roommates for a chance of extreme rewards.

Legally one thing that stands out are non-compete agreements not standing in court. This has led to a healthy startup culture, and is at least partially attributable to Silicon Valley's success.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:21 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
I am sure i15 between California/Nevada border and Las Vegas, NV has just as much traffic on them as the average major freeway in California yet they are paved much better, in fact the pavement is significantly better than the same stretch of i15 just on the other side of the border which carries pretty much the same amount of traffic mostly those travelers to Las Vegas from SoCal as well as truck traffic.

i80 between Lake Tahoe and Reno is also a similar situation. Hey its not like all the traffic on i80 east magically disappear once across the Nevada border. But we know where each state begins by the look and feel of the quality of the pavement or concrete.
I think those interstates depends on the counties they are located. am not sure but judging on OC versus LA, the I5 in OC is better and wider than in LA.

so im guessing, the I15 before Nevada is the responsibility of San Bernardino?

Old 02-06-2019, 11:43 PM

True OC seems better quality in terms of roads than LA regardless of the width of the freeway.
Though it appears i5 between DTLA and Anaheim for some reason is really narrower and in worse condition than most other freeways in the LA metro area and Orange county including i5 north of DTLA for some reason .

Though back to the topic, a major benefit in California
In addition to not having to worry about school makeup days, or being able to enjoy pot without fear or being arrested, Another major reason I believe is the state level ban on Civil asset forfeiture, this practice is when the government or state is permitted to hold private property or people's assets(cash, money, bank accounts) in ransom even in the absence of a criminal conviction, while this practice has bipartian disapproval due to its point blank belligerent violations of the Fifth Amendment, eighth amendment, and 14th amendment. Yet the corrupt court system at both federal and state levels continues to upheld this unconstitutional practice. California is among the 5 states that bars this practice. Hard to believe how its still allowed to happen in 45 states today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California