Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 08:55 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times

Advertisements

So I was listening to the Radio the other day here in San Diego and the talk show host (an ex-politician) made a remark that made me think.

He said that Earthquake Insurance is a complete waste of money because in the event of a catastrophic disaster, FEMA will help everyone rebuild ... therefore rendering all the premiums paid in insurance useless.

This talk show host is somewhat highly regarded in the community ... but I want to know from anyone that really knows (first hand or second) whether his insights are true. Is it really not worth buying earthquake insurance because FEMA will take care of everyone?

I looked through FEMA's website and it does show it gives out grants to those in need, but with very little detail in what is actually covered, and what the criteria is. Basically it's on a case by case basis. But no where does it really state they will help cover a complete rebuilding of one's home.

So, again, if anyone with first hand or second hand experience can pipe in, that would be appreciated. Folks who have an opinion not based on personal experience working with FEMA need not reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 09:37 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
The max was $33,00 in 2016:

How much money can you expect from FEMA? Disaster grants sure to disappoint, analysis finds | Louisiana Flood 2016 | theadvocate.com

Old 11-17-2017, 06:14 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
He said that Earthquake Insurance is a complete waste of money because in the event of a catastrophic disaster, FEMA will help everyone rebuild ... therefore rendering all the premiums paid in insurance useless.
"Some homeowners, according to experts, have apparently decided that should the high-impact event really occur, they don’t need insurance because they have a sugar daddy. They think they’ll be covered by the federal government.

They’re wrong."

While the president would likely declare a federal emergency after a major earthquake, assistance to individuals and households is only...

-Why Do So Few California Homeowners Have Earthquake Insurance?
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/investi...urance-n227711

Rethinking Your Stance on Earthquake Coverage - LA Times

Old 11-17-2017, 10:33 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
So I was listening to the Radio the other day here in San Diego and the talk show host (an ex-politician) made a remark that made me think.

This talk show host is somewhat highly regarded in the community ... but I want to know from anyone that really knows (first hand or second) whether his insights are true. Is it really not worth buying earthquake insurance because FEMA will take care of everyone?

I looked through FEMA's website and it does show it gives out grants to those in need, but with very little detail in what is actually covered, and what the criteria is. Basically it's on a case by case basis. But no where does it really state they will help cover a complete rebuilding of one's home.

So, again, if anyone with first hand or second hand experience can pipe in, that would be appreciated. Folks who have an opinion not based on personal experience working with FEMA need not reply.
A friend in FL had an interesting take on this. He (and not his wife) got $1000.00 in aid for a nearly completely destroyed home. The illegals with a home saw each family member got $15,000.00

Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 AM

130,329 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
A friend in FL had an interesting take on this. He (and not his wife) got $1000.00 in aid for a nearly completely destroyed home. The illegals with a home saw each family member got $15,000.00

How do we know they were illegal & how do we know they got the money? I don't believe everything I hear or read.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:40 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
This may have been posted elsewhere. The wildfire and earthquake exclusion is obviously aimed at Californians.

GOP tax bill would end deduction for wildfire and earthquake victims — but not recent hurricane victims
GOP tax bill would end deduction for wildfire and earthquake victims

Old 11-17-2017, 11:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
How do we know they were illegal & how do we know they got the money? I don't believe everything I hear or read.
He was at the FEMA center when they were.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:26 AM

130,329 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
He was at the FEMA center when they were.
So they told your friend they were illegal, while in line at the FEMA center?

Not everyone who speaks a foreign language is illegal.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:34 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
I pay $125 a year for earthquake insurance with a major company.

The price of one dinner out at a nice restaurant for Mrs5150 and me. That would include a bottle of wine. Speaking of which, a case of $10 bottles of wine would be $120+tax.

So paying for earthquake insurance is nothing.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:36 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:

My sister in law and brother in law thought this same way -- no need for earthquake insurance because they thought that in the unlikely event of a major earthquake, FEMA/the government would cover everything.

Then, the Northridge Earthquake hit and their home sustained major damage. It was declared uninhabitable by local officials.

They got some help from FEMA and "the government" but it didn't even come close to what it cost to reptheir house back to a habitable state. The process dragged on for years, much longer than what it would have taken with private insurance, and they never fully recovered financially.

Things *may* have improved with FEMA since then, but after watching our relatives' experience, we have never had a problem paying the extra for earthquake insurance.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

I'd also take into consideration that the local radio personality I think you are referring to is quite well off, so his ability to recover after losing his home and yours may be two very different things.

Last edited by RosieSD; 11-17-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: