Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 01:24 PM

626 posts, read 626,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdoggo View Post
That's exactly what I said... In the end, it comes down to money and unfortunately you do not make enough to buy property in the area so you are making the choice to move somewhere else where it is cheaper. And we aren't even talking about private schools yet. You can add on another 15-30k a year for that. I am glad that you have enjoyed this fine city and have taken advantage of the many things it has to offer while you were here, but it sounds like you have made the correct financial decision to leave.

How are you getting the shaft from the county? What exactly has it done to make your life worse off?

Moderator cut: orphaned
Well it came off rather bad so that's why I responded like I did. But I get what you are saying now and your right. My neighbors who both work and clear about what I do are struggling as well even though they own their own home. He pays the mortgage and she pays for private school for their daughter at St. Andrews, and complain about not having money. I told them "Hey our kids go to Hamilton which is a pretty decent school why don't you send her there"? They end up doing nothing everytime and still complain.

The only issue I have with the county is how hard it is for a normal person to get a CCW in Los Angeles County compared to the counties all around us. It is next to impossible for an everyday person to get a concealed permit in this county.

Last edited by Count David; 12-14-2017 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 07:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
I too am curious about "your share" as you put it as a low income senior... I wasn't going to call you out, until you decided to call everyone else "whiners". There are basically two types of people in California. Tax takers and taxpayers. I'm guessing you'd be the former. You've said as much. If you are low income then "your share" is much smaller than many others. This is the problem. You are not wrong in the California does a VERY good job of taking care of the poor. They have great amenities if you are in this group. If you aren't earning very much then they have plenty of services for you, so why wouldn't you love it? The people that are unhappy here are likely those that are earning more and do not feel that they are getting their money's worth.

Well in many parts of Sourthern California they're paid very well, and you definitely DON'T get what you're paying for... San Diego is one example, where the response time was very, very slow.

As for amenities, I recently moved to Orlando and I'm not missing out on amenities, yet I have way more money left over every month, smooth roads, and fewer homeless to look at. Ok crime might be a little worse, otherwise, it's mostly good. People and menial jobs seem friendlier too, because maybe they can afford to live ok on minimum wage here. I've actually been able to pay down student debt since I've lived here, a LOT.
Okay, what I see you trying to do here, is say that anyone who has no problem paying additional taxes in CA, must have some kind of weird agenda, which, by your twisted logic, means that any and all taxes in CA must be wrong, and anyone who benefits from them must be scamming the state somehow, and anyone willing to pay them must also be some kind of weirdo who is a scammer or on welfare or something.

I just have to disagree with you. It is just not logical.

Everyone who lives in CA, who drives on roads, who calls cops or firemen, who sends their kids to school, who uses water, electricity, who can rely on safe food being sold in stores, just on and on.....benefits from taxes paid. And, all Californians have to pay sales taxes on everything they buy here, other than food. Where I live, it's nearly 10%. So, every time I buy toilet paper or soap or paper towels or underwear or potting soil, on and on - I'm paying nearly 10% taxes.

And, everyone in CA benefits from taxes. So, per your definition, everyone in CA is a tax-taker.

So, nice try, trying to blame all taxes in CA on disabled old people who live in the state. Your argument is laughably weak.

And, just curious - if you love TN so much, why are you haunting the CA forum? Move on already.

I can remember vacationing in FL when I lived in TN and being really surprised at how redneck it was. It was not the rich FL I'd always imagined when watching Miami Vice on TV. Of course, this may be why you are haunting the CA forums. Any time a place is cheaper, there is a reason. Enjoy your life in FL!

Old 12-12-2017, 10:27 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
I always hear people say that roads are better in this state or that state. But how does one actually know for sure? I mean how do you quantify that? Do Californian's expect to not have a single pot hole in their road? Now that would be a waste of tax dollars wouldn't it? Fixing roads that don't need to be fixed.

I'm not saying this state doesn't have issues. But the argument that roads are better in other states or the argument that we don't use the money we do have for roads in a wise manner, well both arguments seem very hard to prove one way or the other to say the least.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:36 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Okay, what I see you trying to do here, is say that anyone who has no problem paying additional taxes in CA, must have some kind of weird agenda, which, by your twisted logic, means that any and all taxes in CA must be wrong, and anyone who benefits from them must be scamming the state somehow, and anyone willing to pay them must also be some kind of weirdo who is a scammer or on welfare or something.

I just have to disagree with you. It is just not logical.

Everyone who lives in CA, who drives on roads, who calls cops or firemen, who sends their kids to school, who uses water, electricity, who can rely on safe food being sold in stores, just on and on.....benefits from taxes paid. And, all Californians have to pay sales taxes on everything they buy here, other than food. Where I live, it's nearly 10%. So, every time I buy toilet paper or soap or paper towels or underwear or potting soil, on and on - I'm paying nearly 10% taxes.

And, everyone in CA benefits from taxes. So, per your definition, everyone in CA is a tax-taker.

So, nice try, trying to blame all taxes in CA on disabled old people who live in the state. Your argument is laughably weak.

And, just curious - if you love TN so much, why are you haunting the CA forum? Move on already.

I can remember vacationing in FL when I lived in TN and being really surprised at how redneck it was. It was not the rich FL I'd always imagined when watching Miami Vice on TV. Of course, this may be why you are haunting the CA forums. Any time a place is cheaper, there is a reason. Enjoy your life in FL!
Nice strawman. We know that CA.gov is horrible at running a budget and are heavily manipulated by unions and special interest groups. Nobody seems to ask why the government is can't balance a budget and are handing out pay and benefits that does not match it's private sector norms.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:56 PM

626 posts, read 626,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I always hear people say that roads are better in this state or that state. But how does one actually know for sure? I mean how do you quantify that? Do Californian's expect to not have a single pot hole in their road? Now that would be a waste of tax dollars wouldn't it? Fixing roads that don't need to be fixed.

I'm not saying this state doesn't have issues. But the argument that roads are better in other states or the argument that we don't use the money we do have for roads in a wise manner, well both arguments seem very hard to prove one way or the other to say the least.
I know this because with my job I drive from Visalia down to El Centro and Blythe to Santa Maria for my job helping the people of this state. I can attest that a large amount of the roads need a fair number of repairs to actually being some sort of satisfactory state at all.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:06 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
I know this because with my job I drive from Visalia down to El Centro and Blythe to Santa Maria for my job helping the people of this state. I can attest that a large amount of the roads need a fair number of repairs to actually being some sort of satisfactory state at all.
road maintenance depends on whose jurisdiction whether state, county or city.

OC has better roads/highways than LA even if our sales tax and property tax are lower

Old 12-13-2017, 05:02 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
One of the things I love about California, is the benefits we enjoy here. They are not free. So, I'm happy to pay my part, in higher gas taxes or sales taxes, etc., even as a low income senior - because I personally reap benefits from the increased taxes.

I've lived in other states and countries, and there is little to show for taxes you pay there.

But, in my experience, CA does a good job of managing the taxes the state receives. So, I'm happy to pay my fair share, because I also benefit.

Roads don't fix themselves.

And, I was talking with a young woman today about how when I was a kid in CA, in the 1960's to 1970's, you couldn't see the hills around the bay area, because of how bad the smog was. And today, even though there's WAY more traffic, the air is so much cleaner, that you can see the hills. That was our more stringent air quality control laws, and smog controls, etc., that accomplished that. And it worked.

So, nope. I have no problem paying higher taxes. It's my fair share. And if the taxes aren't collected, then things don't get fixed. If you want things fixed, you have to help pay to fix them.

It's simple, really. And, when you see how well the funds are used, it's a no-brainer. Like I said, if you've lived anywhere where funds are not used wisely, or there is corruption, etc., you'd know the difference, and that the benefits in CA reaped from the taxes collected here are really worth it.
More fiction than a Danielle Steele novel.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:11 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Cops and firefighters are public employees who cost taxpayers the most. So not hiring more of them actually saves a lot of money. Or maybe not because they often work overtime which cost even more money. But you are right.
Whatever names CA taxes are hidden under -- save the kids; save the schools, save the roads, save the environment -- the main beneficiary are public employee unions.

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/oakland/

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/san-jose/
That is unbelievable. The public employees are fleecing the tax payers. ALOT of those salaries should be criminal. Also I don't support the gas tax & high registration increase. Years ago the registration decreased annually but now it is the opposite. My tags for my 33 yr old car are 93.00 & next year they will jump 25.00 to 118.00. That hurts me.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Not true because where I am from and where I am moving back to I have 3 bedroom house on 3 acres. The property tax for that house is roughly $1200 a year. The roads are in good shape and the gas price is less.
But, do they reassess your property values and then up your taxes if your property value goes up? What about the sales tax? Any special bonds you're paying for? If you have good roads and other amenities, you're paying for them somehow.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep here in TN they did raise the gas tax a total of ......................... $0.05 and the roads are far better than CA. Some States spend money wisely and others throw it away.

CA is not doing that well. Frustrating, but the voters seem to like more and more taxes and fees, and less and less service from them.
But, again, can your property taxes be reassessed unregulated? What is the sales tax? Are there separate bonds? Driver license fees? Registration fees? Again, if you have services, you are paying for them. So, where are they charging you? Sales, property reassessments, bonds, what? Because they are getting the money to pay for your amenities from somewhere.

No state just magically has money to provide amenities for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California