Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,258,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
More even than Fresno, Bako or Merced? lol
Yep, a lot more than Bako and Merced, and more than.....LA, Riverside, Fresno, and Stockton

A study of the top 100 Metros for STEM Professionals using 17 different Metrics

1. Seattle
2. Boston
3. Pittsburgh
4. Austin
5. Minneapolis

12. San Francisco

15. San Diego
16. Sacramento

35. Los Angeles

62. Bakersfield

83. Riverside

87. Fresno

91. Stockton

Source: Wallethub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Sacramento's cost of living has really jumped over the past few years. It may soon become unattainable like the Bay Area and L.A. are.
I think not:

Median Home Values:

San Francisco - $1,275,000
Costa Mesa (Orange County) - $757,900
Oakland - $712,700

Los Angeles - $650,200 (Average Income $62,000)
San Diego - $600,000

Sacramento - $312,900 (Average Income $55,000)

Fresno - $221,600 (Average Income $44,000)
Bakersfield - 219,600 (Average Income $45,000)

Old 01-11-2018, 06:24 PM

2,889 posts, read 1,993,966 times
Please Take what chimerique(heck, any fanboy) says with grains of salt. Chim loves posting outdated and inaccurate lists. Those lists are mostly pointless. Ignore.

Fresno is improving
Bakersfield is improving
Sac is improving
Even Stockton is fixing itself
The central valley as a whole is becoming more livable.

Sac is the nicest big city, but it will cost you. Just visit them all and go with your gut. Good luck

Old 01-11-2018, 09:13 PM

Unlike "dontbelievehim" I'm posting factual measurable information with these lists. These lists are from legitimate sources. Zillow.com and Wallenthub

The Income levels I posted are the least likely to change over the next year.
The median home value levels are the most likely to change over the next year.(These prices are from over the last 6 months).

Old 01-13-2018, 09:43 AM

I would easily live in any of the Below: All connected by Freeways or Light Rail Train, All within 30minutes of Downtown Sacramento

WEST OF DOWNTOWN SAC - Highway 50, I-80
West Sacramento - Middle Class City, directly across the Sacramento River from downtown
Davis - College Town-University of California, Middle/Upper Class, self-contained City, connected to Sacramento(12 miles) and Bay Area by Capitol Corridor Trains (12 a/day)
Woodland - Middle class town

NORTHEAST of DOWNTOWN SAC - I-80-Business and I-80 are 2 different Frwys; Highway 160, Highway 50
Arden-Arcade - Lower/Middle/Upper class suburb of Sacramento - Borders American River
Carmiachel - Middle/Upper Class suburb of Sacramento - Borders American River
Citrus Heights - Lower/Middle/Upper Class City - some Hills
Roseville - Middle/Upper Class City - Connected to Sacramento and Bay Area by Capitol Corridor Train - Hills
Granite Bay - Upper Class, borders Folsom Lake - Hills
Rocklin - Middle/Upper Class City - Hills
Lincoln - Middle Class City - Hills
Auburn - Cool mountain town - Mountains, borders upper American River

EAST OF DOWNTOWN SAC - Highway 50, and Highway 16
Rancho Cordova - Middle class and Lower class neighborhoods, Job Center - Borders American River
Rancho Murrieta - Upper End
Jackson - Cool Mountain Town - Hills and Mountains
Folsom - Middle/Upper Class, very nice self-contained City, borders Folsom Lake and American River - Hills
Cameron Park - Upper Class/High End/McMansions - Hills
El Dorado Hills- Upper Class/High End/McMansions - Hills
Shingle Springs - Upper Class/High End/McMansions - Hills/Mountains
Placerville - Cool Mountain town - Mountains

SOUTH OF DOWNTOWN SAC - I-5 and Highway 99
The Pocket - City of Sac, Middle/Upper Class, borders Sacramento River
South Land Park - City of Sac, Middle/Upper Class
Laguna - Middle/Upper Class, City of Sac, borders Sacramento River
Elk Grove - Middle Class/Upper Class city
Galt - Middle Class town

Older Nice Neighborhoods in the City of Sacramento surrounding downtown
Midtown, McKinley Park, Tahoe Park, Curtis Park, Land Park

Old 01-13-2018, 10:25 AM

665 posts, read 612,763 times
Chimérique thanks for the info about Sactown. For all of the years I lived in CA, I've never been to Sacramento. I plan on going later this year hopefully before the summertime when it really gets hot.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:58 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,871,801 times
I like your "Positive Outlook" on the Central Valley,especially since their are some people who hate the Central Valley and try to make it out to be some Third World-Redneck/Hillbilly-Ghetto,when in fact the Central Valley has a lot of Nice Livable Communities and yup many communities are improving.

Yup...Sacramento might possibly be the priciest city in the entire Valley,but still more affordable compared to the Bay Area,The Coast and Southern CA.

I really like living in the Central Valley and seeing all the Mountains and rows of Agriculture Fields when I go biking or walking,and the beautiful sunny skies of summer and snowcapped winter peaks,and also an interesting wildlife as well with so many variety of birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Fresno is improving
Bakersfield is improving
Sac is improving
Even Stockton is fixing itself
The central valley as a whole is becoming more livable.

Sac is the nicest big city, but it will cost you. Just visit them all and go with your gut. Good luck

Old 01-13-2018, 07:52 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,685,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
[b]I would easily live in any of the Below: All connected by Freeways or Light Rail Train, All within 30minutes of Downtown Sacramento

NORTHEAST of DOWNTOWN SAC - I-80-Business and I-80 are 2 different Frwys; Highway 160, Highway 50
Arden-Arcade - Lower/Middle/Upper class suburb of Sacramento - Borders American River
Carmiachel - Middle/Upper Class suburb of Sacramento - Borders American River
Citrus Heights - Lower/Middle/Upper Class City - some Hills
Roseville - Middle/Upper Class City - Connected to Sacramento and Bay Area by Capitol Corridor Train - Hills
Granite Bay - Upper Class, borders Folsom Lake - Hills
Rocklin - Middle/Upper Class City - Hills
Lincoln - Middle Class City - Hills
Auburn - Cool mountain town - Mountains, borders upper American River
Chimérique, although we love the Monterey area and are heavily biased toward it, I have considered moving to Auburn and surrounding areas. Why would I do that and am crazy thinking of moving from Monterey? Well, I ask myself that question as well. But the answer is similar to others like theCity who are looking for more affordability. In our case, we hate the idea of leaving Monterey but know financially it is probably in our best interest. At our current life stage with three kids getting ready to enter college we have other financial obligations to consider. So I've recently been checking out some of the properties in this NE area of Sac near the foothills.

My wife's two greatest concerns are traffic into Sac if our kids go to Sac State. Its 37 miles from Auburn and during rush hour that could be a crazy long commute.

Second, the air quality has always been a concern of ours. I know there are many threads discussing this topic already. And I don't want to beat a dead horse, really. But the air is a concern, nonetheless. I've heard the inversion layer can trap in smog from the Bay and farming chemicals causing days when it is recommended not to exercise outdoors. We are very much an outdoor family. So staying indoors when smoggy would be tough.

That being said we have several friends who have lived there and enjoyed it. So I know it can be a good quality of life. There are definitely enough positives aspects for us making it something worth considering at this stage of our lives.

And yes, that would mean leaving this. I just went paddleboarding today in Carmel:

Derek

Old 01-14-2018, 11:08 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,180 times
Derek, Auburn is up in elevation from Sacramento proper, so the air quality shouldn't be so bad. I went there in August when the air quality in Sac isn't so great and the sky was pretty darn blue up in Auburn. Also, the El Dorado Hills area is quite nice and it's closer to Sac for your kids. My brother lives in Sacramento, and one time when I was driving back home from visiting him, I took a road called Latrobe that runs south from El Dorado Hills, and boy was that pretty country. I saw a lot of deer and wild turkeys on that drive, plus two bald eagles.

I can certainly understand not wanting to leave Monterey, but if you have to, you've sure picked out a good alternative.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:18 PM

Derek,
There are very few places that can match the air quality of the Monterey Coast, so just about anywhere you move to will have "bad air", lol.

Seriously, I know how nice Monterey is as I used to live there in 1967 as toddler! I often forget that Seaside, Ca was our very first California residence before we settled in San Diego. We lived in Seaside for 1 year while my dad attended the Defense Language Institute (aka Army Language School) in Monterey to learn Vietnamese and Chinese during the Vietnam War. That was so long ago, I often forgot that my earliest memories of Monterey is when I actually lived there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California