U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 03:29 AM

5,022 posts, read 5,277,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
if we are talking city vs city population fresno is in fact bigger than sacramento. Fresno is the 5th biggest city in CA while sac is 6th. But metro area sac is bigger
Fresno city limits is 114 sq. miles.
Sacramento city limits is 97 sq. miles (land)

If Sac incorporated its adjacent non-incorporated urban areas to match Fresno's 114 sq. miles, Sacramento City would have a population of 586,460 making it more populous than Fresno.

Sacramento Metro Area - 2,567,451
Fresno Metro Area - 1,134,612
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 01:47 PM

542 posts, read 207,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Ah, I understand. Thanks for the correction. So where does it start getting so hot in the Central Valley.....Lodi, Modesto, Merced? How far south from Sac do you go before you hit all the 100 degree day summers?

I live snuggled up in the Sierra foothills in Porterville and I've noticed that we're about 2 degrees cooler here than in Bakersfield. Some summers are gawd awful and some are not bad at all. Just depends on the year. I'm pretty sick of the summers here and I could never afford the coast, so I've been checking out Sierra Vista, Arizona. Summers in the mid 80's and winters might have a light snow once in awhile, but it's usually gone in a day or two. High elevation bordering a national forest. Pretty area with decent amenities, low crime.
Look into Merced . you can have: short trips for wine(Lodi/Madera), 2hrs to Yosemite/Monterey, cooler nights than porterville
And short trips to the foothills(mariposa/Sonora). I think its a solid upgrade over porterville
Ive seen lots of buyers remoarse over the years with people leaving CA for the mountains. Checkout all your options before you take such a dive. Good luck.

Edit:
Oh, I thought you were younger. There's nothing wrong with the move then.
Go enjoy your mountain. Cheers.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 01-16-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 01:50 PM

1,293 posts, read 805,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
There is nowhere in the Central Valley that is cool. It's actually the hottest in Redding, which is way up north. The heat gets stuck in the valley surrounded by mountains.

As far as finding areas in CA better than other states - that's easy. Just do your research. There are many reasons to stay in CA instead of moving to other states.

Just remember that any state that has any resources, must pay for them somehow. So, maybe they don't have an income tax or sales tax, but you can be sure there's a tax in there somewhere to pay for any amenities. And if there really aren't any taxes - then there won't be any amenities. You'll have to decide what you can live without.

There are a lot of other options within CA besides those that have been discussed so far.
Yes, that's all true Snow, but I'm not looking around to find a place that's cheaper particularly. I'm not wanting to move just to save money as I have a decent income. I'm not unhappy with California and if I could find what I'm looking for instate, that would be ok too. I own 15 acres and as a widowed 70year old, it's getting to be a little much to take care of. Plus, I don't live in the best of neighborhoods to put it mildly. It can get scary around here at night. I do need some acreage because I have livestock and several dogs....all walk-on dogs (meaning they just walked on to the property and decided to stay,lol), but I could easily get by with just 2 acres instead of 15. I am not a big city person and never will be.

I like Arizona and Sierra Vista is particularly nice. I have to have mountains around me - check, small town but with decent amenities - check, good medical - check, little crime - check, lots of senior activities - check. What could go wrong?

Here's a neat video of Sierra Vista. Yeah, it's chamber of commerce quality, but it does show the scenery around the town. It seems nice.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:38 PM

18,596 posts, read 24,269,411 times
Quote:
Yes, that's all true Snow, but I'm not looking around to find a place that's cheaper particularly. I'm not wanting to move just to save money as I have a decent income. I'm not unhappy with California and if I could find what I'm looking for instate, that would be ok too. I own 15 acres and as a widowed 70year old, it's getting to be a little much to take care of. Plus, I don't live in the best of neighborhoods to put it mildly. It can get scary around here at night. I do need some acreage because I have livestock and several dogs....all walk-on dogs (meaning they just walked on to the property and decided to stay,lol), but I could easily get by with just 2 acres instead of 15. I am not a big city person and never will be.

I like Arizona and Sierra Vista is particularly nice. I have to have mountains around me - check, small town but with decent amenities - check, good medical - check, little crime - check, lots of senior activities - check. What could go wrong?

Here's a neat video of Sierra Vista. Yeah, it's chamber of commerce quality, but it does show the scenery around the town. It seems nice.

Seems like you could find something similar in CA and keep your Prop 13 protections. What struck me in the video was the lack of diversity in the population shown. Especially, I don't think I saw any Mexicans and yet, it's almost on the Mexican border. So, something is off with that.

I guess you should post some questions in the AZ forum and ask about the area, in particular if there is any drug/gang/trafficking border issues in the area. I saw a PBS show about ranchers in AZ who never used to have any problems being on the border, but they now regularly have problems with the drug traffickers.

Just find out as much as you can, read the papers, especially the editorials. My experience with living in small towns that were mainly white, is that they were also very Republican and very into religion. That might make you happy. It made me want to come back to the SF Bay Area, where I regularly hear different languages in one day, and I rarely am approached by anyone trying to convert me. I just prefer that. And although I can roll with pretty much anyone, I do prefer to live around at least a decent percentage of neighbors who agree with my way of thinking lol.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you love it.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:43 PM

1,293 posts, read 805,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Seems like you could find something similar in CA and keep your Prop 13 protections. What struck me in the video was the lack of diversity in the population shown. Especially, I don't think I saw any Mexicans and yet, it's almost on the Mexican border. So, something is off with that.

I guess you should post some questions in the AZ forum and ask about the area, in particular if there is any drug/gang/trafficking border issues in the area. I saw a PBS show about ranchers in AZ who never used to have any problems being on the border, but they now regularly have problems with the drug traffickers.

Just find out as much as you can, read the papers, especially the editorials. My experience with living in small towns that were mainly white, is that they were also very Republican and very into religion. That might make you happy. It made me want to come back to the SF Bay Area, where I regularly hear different languages in one day, and I rarely am approached by anyone trying to convert me. I just prefer that. And although I can roll with pretty much anyone, I do prefer to live around at least a decent percentage of neighbors who agree with my way of thinking lol.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you love it.
I've been looking in California too. I like the Kernville/Lake Isabella area so am keeping an eye of the real estate there.

As far as drugs/gangs/trafficking, Sierra Vista is far behind Tulare County in that regard. We have the cartel guys big time around here. Crime is considered to be a viable job in Tulare County, although it has been going down somewhat in recent years. Sierra Vista's crime is well below the national average. I hear the traffickers skirt around Sierra Vista, probably because of the boys over at the big military base in Fort Huachaca.

Sierra Vista is about 50%white, 27% hispanic, but I don't care about demographics much. I just care if they're good people. I don't care what their ethnicity is, I just want to see a lot of OLD people I can relate to. Sierra Vista is home to a lot of retirees. I don't care about political demographics either. I have good friends belonging to both parties. We just don't discuss politics or religion and we get along fine. I've been to Sierra Vista a couple of times so I'm somewhat familiar with it. I like Bisbee too, but it's a little too small.

If I wind up having to stay put, it will be ok. I do have a good support system here and I love my doctor and surgeon, so there's that. Plus all these dang animals (but I love them). I envy how you've just up and moved when you were unhappy with an area. It takes guts to do that, especially as a senior single lady. You go girl!

Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 PM

18,596 posts, read 24,269,411 times
Quote:
I envy how you've just up and moved when you were unhappy with an area. It takes guts to do that, especially as a senior single lady. You go girl!
Thanks. Honestly, though, I was really happy in Santa Clara, CA. I only moved in the last several years or so because it was the only way I could afford housing. Prior to that, I was young and moving was easier.

But, these last few years, I made my decisions based on what I would need in my old age. I have learned what I need to be happy from now until the great beyond, at least minimally.

I'd love to have more space for more animals and a garden. But, I sacrifice those things in order to live where I have lots of classes to take, senior bus trips I can sign up for, good healthcare within a short driving distance, etc.

But, everyone is different. Once you figure out what it is that is important to you - stick to it without shame or any second-guessing. There will always be someone who will question what you really need, etc. Only you know what that really is.

I wish you all the future happiness possible.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:50 PM

501 posts, read 701,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Derek, You are not going to find a place with the kind of air quality you get in Monterey. Most moderate to large Metros have air quality issues, some worse than Sac. For example, Denver and SLC have pretty bad inversions both in the summer and winter. Phoenix has major dust storms and major allergy problems.

The air quality in LA and Inland Empire is by far worse than Sacramento.
The air quality in Fresno and Bakersfield is by far worse than Sacramento.

The Sacramento Metro is more than twice the size of the Fresno Metro and and near 3 times the size of Bakersfield, yet Sacramento’s air quality is twice as good.

So if the Fresno Metro was the same size as the Sacramento Metro, their air quality would be 4 times as bad. They would have 4 times the amount of bad air days.
Bad air quality in the Valley has to do not just with the size of cities/is not directly proportional....
big factors:
1) amount and type of agriculture that is around and especially upwind (to the East and North)

2) location inside the Valley. It is known that due to land layout even the Bay Area pollution from East Bay factories not just gets blown towards Sacramento -- from there, it gets pushed South a lot and gets trapped/concentrated at the Southern end of the Valley, which forms a basin closed from 3 sides. They had traced certain pollutants around Bakersfield to Bay Area origin. In general, Southern end tends to act a s a trap for the rest of the Valley pollution, including agricultural. If you look at prevalent winds map, from Sacramento latitude, they blow towards South-East in the Valley

3) wood burning practices, which are heavily affected by the number of homes connected to natural gas

Last edited by xani; 01-21-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 10:06 PM

5,022 posts, read 5,277,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
Bad air quality in the Valley has to do not just with the size of cities/is not directly proportional....
big factors:
1) amount and type of agriculture that is around and especially upwind (to the East and North)

2) location inside the Valley. It is known that due to land layout even the Bay Area pollution from East Bay factories not just gets blown towards Sacramento -- from there, it gets pushed South a lot and gets trapped/concentrated at the Southern end of the Valley, which forms a basin closed from 3 sides. They had traced certain pollutants around Bakersfield to Bay Area origin. In general, Southern end tends to act a s a trap for the rest of the Valley pollution, including agricultural. If you look at prevalent winds map, from Sacramento latitude, they blow towards South-East in the Valley

3) wood burning practices, which are heavily affected by the number of homes connected to natural gas
You are just adding to my point and missing the point at the same time.

A) Fresno and Bakersfield are much much smaller in population than Sacramento yet their air pollution is TWICE as bad. Why, Because of Agri-business. Sacramento does not have a lot big agri-business. Agri-business is the backbone of Fresno and Bakersfield.

B) They Bay Area doesn't produce a lot of pollution that affects Sacramento. In fact, the winds that blow towards Sacramento through the Bay and the Delta are a good thing as they help to clean out Sacramento's air and Cool it down significantly in the Summer.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM

501 posts, read 701,409 times
Quote:

A) Fresno and Bakersfield are much much smaller in population than Sacramento yet their air pollution is TWICE as bad. Why, Because of Agri-business. Sacramento does not have a lot big agri-business. Agri-business is the backbone of Fresno and Bakersfield.

B) They Bay Area doesn't produce a lot of pollution that affects Sacramento. In fact, the winds that blow towards Sacramento through the Bay and the Delta are a good thing as they help to clean out Sacramento's air and Cool it down significantly in the Summer.
No, I'm not missing the point.
I'm specifically addressing what you said:

"So if the Fresno Metro was the same size as the Sacramento Metro, their air quality would be 4 times as bad. They would have 4 times the amount of bad air days."

Above statement implied that pollution is proportional to city/metro size in this case, but it's not true. Agribusiness is not the business of the metro, it's rural area activity. And location/wind direction are also unrelated variables, to metro size.

Winds from Bay area blowing into Central Valley can not be a good thing.
They blow in horrible pollution from refineries, plants like Dow Chemical in East Bay, plus vehicle pollution that is through the roof in recent years; and some of this chemical soup gets propped against Foothills having nowhere to go further. (I had spent quite a bit of time researching this subject in detail; I rest my case).

Anyway--air quality overall is so bad in Fresno/Visalia/Bakersfield and Sacramento regions, no one in the right mind should want to live in these. Air quality is horrible in all of these, though is is a lot worse South, anyone who lived in areas with clean air would not be able to tolerate this. This is not just "quality of life" thing, this is also a health risk. It does not matter that Visalia is worse than Sacramento; it's a choice between horrible and "more horrible"; choice should be for the "better", not "the lesser evil", as luckily, people are still free to pack up their bags and move somewhere.

Last edited by xani; 01-22-2018 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 04:43 PM

542 posts, read 207,804 times
Quote:

Agribusiness is now taking steps to improve air quality. It's going to take a few years before the benefits are noticable, but its coming.
The state isnt letting anyone off the hook, when it comes to pollution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or