Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:46 PM

334 posts, read 1,368,143 times

Advertisements

First of all I'm not trying to insult these places, I'm just curious. This month I visited CA for my first time ever. And had the time of my life! But while in Santa cruz I noticed a lot of "street people". Young kids with their duffelbags, skateboards, just laying on the sidewalk. About a half dozen healthy middle aged men with canned food, standing on the sidewalk, holding up signs for money. All were really in good moods, and made humerous signs to get money. And then the weird people, one guy with a pink umbrella that acts really fruity. Towards night time a homeless man yelled out "where is god?!, god is in hell!". Everyone looked at him and someone told him to shut up or he'd kick his ***. Is it the climate, the economy? I've never seen this type of thing except in Santa cruz and San francisco. I've been to many other big cities but the homeless were always calm, and didn't seem like hippies, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
First of all I'm not trying to insult these places, I'm just curious. This month I visited CA for my first time ever. And had the time of my life! But while in Santa cruz I noticed a lot of "street people". Young kids with their duffelbags, skateboards, just laying on the sidewalk. About a half dozen healthy middle aged men with canned food, standing on the sidewalk, holding up signs for money. All were really in good moods, and made humerous signs to get money. And then the weird people, one guy with a pink umbrella that acts really fruity. Towards night time a homeless man yelled out "where is god?!, god is in hell!". Everyone looked at him and someone told him to shut up or he'd kick his ***. Is it the climate, the economy? I've never seen this type of thing except in Santa cruz and San francisco. I've been to many other big cities but the homeless were always calm, and didn't seem like hippies, etc.
Regarding teh homeless in Santa Cruz. Much has to do with the basically good weather and social services..BUT also one must account for the economy!!! This is also a college town..so you will see many differnt people and faces in SC..The cost o fliving here is threw the roof!!!! Sad because it is a very mellow town...and as teh economy slows more crime moves in..

Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM

409 posts, read 1,826,744 times
lotsa crazies in america, poor treatment, particularly in california. homeless are often from the towns where you find them. also there are communities in west coast towns so if your scene gets old or you have legal problems in one hey maybe hoof it up the coast for a few weeks to chill in the next town.

bottom line is weather. nobody in chicago, for example, gets to say anything about "our" homeless problem because "we" are carrying theirs, too. people, including police, are relatively decent to homeless in these towns. it's not so much social services. you can get free food almost anywhere. not getting kicked every day is a difficult find.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,260,507 times
Brent,
try Berkeley and San Diego as well.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:23 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,298,628 times
I think it the weather, we took a roadtrip up the coast and noticed many homeless folks everywhere we went. i guess if your homeless you mise well live in a nice enviroment.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:53 PM

790 posts, read 4,012,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
Relative tolerance and a history of counter culture and relative allowance for those who don't play by the rules.
A friend of mine who has been homeless on and off throughout his 50 years, judges a community by the homeless scene. A community that is so intolerant and so desperate to present a "clean and tidy" image (in large part for business purposes and S.C. is now more guilty of it too) isn't necessarily the best of places.
There is a thread on this forum from about a month ago about the issue of S.C. and homeless.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:07 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,474,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
A friend of mine who has been homeless on and off throughout his 50 years, judges a community by the homeless scene.

Is this friend mentally ill? If not, why is he homeless?

A community that is so intolerant and so desperate to present a "clean and tidy" image (in large part for business purposes and S.C. is now more guilty of it too) isn't necessarily the best of places.

Best for which person, the homeless guy or the guy trying to make a living in a clean and safe environment?

When it comes right down to it 98% of people, given the choice, would rather be in an environment without homeless people than with homeless people. If someone is mentally ill, then he needs help and compassion. He still is entitled to his dignity.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,300,528 times
They're starving artists. DUH.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:46 PM

790 posts, read 4,012,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
When it comes right down to it 98% of people, given the choice, would rather be in an environment without homeless people than with homeless people. If someone is mentally ill, then he needs help and compassion. He still is entitled to his dignity.
Well i do understand what you're saying but alot of us aren't part of that "98%" and i prefer an environment where there is tolerance for all "walks of life". As someone who is semi marginalized myself, there is comfort in a community that isn't afraid of difference and that isn't afraid to be around people who don't easily fit into the conventional social mold.
Most of the folks hanging around downtown S.C. aren't bothering anyone. As a matter of fact, i've never had an experience myself of being bothered and i've never witnessed anyone else being bothered. A sign asking for a few bucks isn't harming anyone. And umbrella man is as harmless as they come unless he moonlights as someone else but i doubt it. He may be "mentally ill" (by conventional standards) but has a beautiful vibe and i'm always happy to pass by him. He's alot less scary than so many of the "upstanding" citizens that blow by you in their SUV's (with bumper stickers that say "keep santa cruz wierd"!) and could care less about anyone but their own precious selves and their own little world. They could be viewed as mentally ill in my opinion.
But street people and homeless people make many people (mostly tourists) uncomfortable and so they become the problem. As i see it the people who are afraid of them have and are the problem. So now there are all sorts of ordinances that i suppose help the store owners but that have detracted from the beautiful chaos of S.C.
People don't like chaos. I understand that. And anyone, homeless or not, that acts destructively toward other people is problematic.
And I understand that store owners are concerned about loss of business but there are larger issues here. It isn't really money that makes the world go 'round.
So that's just another perspective.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:21 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,281,043 times
To be honest, I really hate to be hassled by homeless people. Day after day, it really gets old. The last time I gave money to the homeless, I saw the guy go buy booze with it so I never did it again.

If I'm on my way to work making an honest living ... I think I have a right to walk down the street without being constantly hassled for money. So I do tend to avoid cities that indulge the homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California