Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:34 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,420,301 times

Advertisements

Didnt the homeless situation in California begin to get bad when Governor Reagan cut the Mental Health budget many years ago? I am quite sure that alot of Mentally ill ended up on the streets with a months worth of meds and no place to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 AM

9,520 posts, read 30,344,392 times
as was mentioned a long history of counter-culture, relative tolerance, and great weather make CA cities attractive to the homeless. SF bay area in particular is considered very attractive to homeless / runaways, the city governments practially welcome the homeless.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 PM

790 posts, read 4,011,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
To be honest, I really hate to be hassled by homeless people. Day after day, it really gets old. The last time I gave money to the homeless, I saw the guy go buy booze with it so I never did it again.

If I'm on my way to work making an honest living ... I think I have a right to walk down the street without being constantly hassled for money. So I do tend to avoid cities that indulge the homeless.
Day after day of being on the streets without a room of your own, a bed, a bathroom, a kitchen with food in it and every other thing that people tend to take for granted probably gets pretty old too. To be "hassled' for a few bucks is hardly a hardship.
I'm not sure what an "honest" living is. I'm not meaning to diss you and if you were being hurt (as opposed to being annoyed) then i would have some sympathy for you.
And i guess i see cities that don't come down so hard on those that aren't mainstream as tolerant (and maybe even compassionate) not "indulgent".

Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM

9,520 posts, read 30,344,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
To be "hassled' for a few bucks is hardly a hardship.
In many cases it is downright life-threatening, especially when the person is drunk/drugged out. When I am with my pregnant wife we cross the street to avoid the homeless.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:44 PM

790 posts, read 4,011,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
In many cases it is downright life-threatening, especially when the person is drunk/drugged out. When I am with my pregnant wife we cross the street to avoid the homeless.
I understand .... if anyone is doing harm to anyone else, it's a big no-no.
I was only saying that being hassled is not a hardship. Being assaulted is for sure.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,190 times
Most of CA. has military, and people here forget there is a 'stand down' process 4 times a year. That means that as long as a veteran is willing to 'get sober' they will find him a home, and give him showers, and food. If a guy or gal is homeless here it more than likely means they have blown out all their chances or have felonies. So, I would say that a little personal social assessment as citizens is in order as per each individual situation.

Why just look at 'all homeless' as the same social factor. Maybe they just don't understand how to get help. It never killed anyone to give someone else well intentioned advice that I know about. Maybe I am naive, but why not tell them where a mission is? If they are too drunk to listen then leave a note.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:23 PM

221 posts, read 518,168 times
My teenage nephew from the east coast was out here this month visiting California for the first time while on his spring break. The homeless people didn't phase him as he frequents New York City back home. On the contrary, Santa Cruz was his favorite among all of the stops on his Northern California vacation and not just for all of the great skateboarding he so loved.

You can find the homeless population just about anywhere in San Francisco. As long as not overly pushy, they really don't bother me. On some occasions, they can be belligerent in areas like Haight-Ashbury. Still can't forget a snotty twentysomething girl with piercings galore and badly in need of a shower jumping in our face two years ago and asking us for $6,000.00.

Homeless people can also be found in the smaller cities all over the peninsula, including our residence in Palo Alto. The numbers are definitely on the rise.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 PM

15 posts, read 41,306 times
Default homless dudes

Quite a few of these "homeless dudes" have houses better than you.
How the US deals with mental problems is a total screw up.
Remember this is the free world love it or not.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:46 AM

18 posts, read 128,539 times
What you saw are people from all over the country who were attracted to the SF Bay Area and Santa Cruz. The answer is simple, there is a wealth of social services available especially in San Francisco. Free food, needles, affordable meds, etc. Also, the climate isn't too hot or too cold like where I currently live, Hawaii. We also have a lot of homeless from all over the country for these same reasons: services offered and temperate climate.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
Day after day of being on the streets without a room of your own, a bed, a bathroom, a kitchen with food in it and every other thing that people tend to take for granted probably gets pretty old too.
Then go out and get a job. People don't take it for granted, they get up every day and work for those things. I have to work for those things, why shouldn't they?

Sorry but that's the way I feel about it. We've become a society of excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California