Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 11:59 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Give that ban on blister packs a little time.

https://www.greenerpackage.com/regul...lifornia_trend
One can only hope ...

Old 09-23-2018, 12:06 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No. It doesn’t come down to whether you believe in personal liberty or not. It comes down to whether people have even half the brains god gave a gnat ... and they don’t ... or they wouldn’t sh*t the bed they sleep in metaphorically (as in trash our environment that supports us all).

You can “believe in personal liberty” and that “people should take responsibility for their actions” till the cows come home. I agree they are nice fantasy concepts. But truth is: 10,000 years of human civilizations since emerging from the caves has demonstrated without a doubt that people are stupid and short sighted as hell and typically do not take much responsibility for their actions as a rule.

Therefore, regretably: rights must be restricted for society to function safely and in good health. Tch.

As for stainless steel straws, I never suggested anything about them. I think the concept is hilariously stupid. Nobody needs straws to begin with (except for certain disabled folks and people who get punched in the mouth).

Funny how demanding accountability for maintaining a clean, healthy, attractive environment is negatively characterized as “virtue signaling” ... as if “virtue” is a dirty word?
Ok comrade. Let me go check with my government overload to determine the proper way to respond.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Ok comrade. Let me go check with my government overload to determine the proper way to respond.
Lol, brotherman

Funny thing is: I agree in principle with the desirability of your beliefs ... I just know it’s fantasy ... history proves it.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:43 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
I don’t hear anyone complaining about that. Same about plastic bottles.
You don't hear anyone complaining about plastic bottles? They're non grata in many, many CA locales now. No legislation, but you'll be given the stink-eye if you show up with one.

Cutting down on single-use plastic is becoming a trend. Good.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:49 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
It basically boils down to if you believe in personal liberty or not.
I do believe in it. And people should take responsibility for their actions; not have their rights restricted because of what someone else might do.
The amount of plastic in blister packaging is way higher. I don’t hear anyone complaining about that. Same about plastic bottles.
Again the amout of energy needed to make stainless straws is way higher than hundreds of plastic straws. The average life cycle of a stainless straw before lost/damaged ends up causing more pollution than single use straws. But you don’t get to virtue signal to everyone else with facts. Same is true for plastic bags.
The plastic used in plastic straws does not breakdown well, it's considered a 'single use plastic' Blister packs and bottles are far easier to recycle. But here's the thing...I was around long before plastic straws became popular and did just fine with paper straws, they work just as well and don't pollute the oceans - so why pout and stomp your feet over "your right" to have a plastic straw?

Old 09-23-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You don't hear anyone complaining about plastic bottles? They're non grata in many, many CA locales now. No legislation, but you'll be given the stink-eye if you show up with one.

Cutting down on single-use plastic is becoming a trend. Good.
Make a choice to do something is fine, I only use multi use bottles. Mandating it is not; just because I think something is a good idea doesn’t mean the power of the government at gun point should be used to enforce that idea upon everyone.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The plastic used in plastic straws does not breakdown well, it's considered a 'single use plastic' Blister packs and bottles are far easier to recycle. But here's the thing...I was around long before plastic straws became popular and did just fine with paper straws, they work just as well and don't pollute the oceans - so why pout and stomp your feet over "your right" to have a plastic straw?
Because I don’t need the government telling me what I should or shouldn’t do when I am not impacting others.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Because I don’t need the government telling me what I should or shouldn’t do when I am not impacting others.
Except single-use plastics pollution IS impacting others.

And 10,000 years of human civilization demonstrates quite clearly that we DO, in fact, need government intervention.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:28 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ever use a paper straw? They work pretty good for about 15 seconds.
Yup. Used one for the first time recently (at a restaurant in Mountain View), and it was like trying to drink from - well - PAPER!! And I need to use a straw for “medical” reasons, since my teeth are highly sensitive after having so much work done on them. I complained to the server, who agreed they aren’t ideal, and said I hope they can come up with a better alternative. I’m all for conserving the environment, but they need to give us viable substitutes before everyone will get on board.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:12 PM

So, how did humanity survive and prosper without straws of any kind for a few hundred thousand years?

Talk about “first world problems”!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California