Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 09:38 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I'm retired in CA too!

My husband and I have taken a gander at many other places for possible relocation. We've been all over Washington, Oregon, Idaho, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Texas, North Carolina, Colorado, New York, Michigan, and a few other states as well.

After our visits, we always come home, look around, and decide that we like where we are just fine. Don't get me wrong - those other places are all beautiful in their own rights, but just not beautiful enough to make us start packing our bags and start all over.

In our case, we have a good set up here in inland San Diego County, with acreage, a house that's been tailored to our preferences over the years, no close neighbors, yet shopping and doctors just down the road. We bought out here because it was less expensive than the rest of San Diego (it still is) but we still had to stretch quite a bit at the time to make it work. Things got easier financially for us as we advanced in our careers. But, we never felt the need to acquire a "bigger, better, flashier" house.

Our family is close by (our oldest just bought a house near us) and so are our friends -- and our entire lives.

Maybe we just haven't found the right "miracle" place yet, but we haven't found an area where we could recreate what we have right now - in Southern California - and come out with enough cash to make starting over in an entirely different place a "must do" for us.

We're far from wealthy. But we have always lived very thriftily and saved for retirement using California as our baseline, so we're not in any desperate need of lowering our cost of living. We'll be fine here for the duration.

So, this is probably where they'll plant me, and I'm good with that. I love it here. A lot. This is my home.

But, every person and family has to make their own decisions in life. And, really, it is silly to live somewhere if you are miserable there. We live in a great big WONDERFUL Country, where there is a place for everyone. So, I don't feel any need to belittle other people who have made choices different than mine.

Do what's best for you and your family. I wish everyone a happy life --like I've found-- whereever you end up living.

But you still have to acknowledge that this is one of the worst states to be a retiree; its not just high COL, but also taxes/fees/regulations that will only become more burdensome and make living on a fixed income harder. I think a lot of elderly/retired folks will be very disappointed if they live too long.
Just out of curiosity - how does your financial projection hold up with 25K/year in medical expenses and property tax based on last year assessed value (at same rates)? And increases in all other categories of taxes and fees.
Have you done that contingency plan? Because that's what I would be including in my "worst case scenario".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yep. “THAT” place. And no thanks for me either.

You are right to correct my hasty, top-of-head math ... the correct % is 7.5% of California households are millionaire status. I don't find any breakout for $5 mil +, so suffice to say it is far less at that level which was proposed by our esteemed colleague CaliRestoration as as floor level for “getting by” in California. Which is laughable.

As for the rest of your qualification - that lots more have homes worth over a million - um, sure. But that makes no difference in considering the ridiculousness of CR's suggestion. How many of those homes are paid off + other assets totaling $5 million? He said “net worth: $5 million. Any way you'd care to frame the numbers you won't get even 10% of California “getting by” in CR's claim.

I repeat: in spite of all the kvetching on this forum by dozens and dozens of unhappy people out of 38 million, 90% aren't even remotely failing to survive and enjoy life here.
I'd characterize it as the threshold for a comfort level of financial security here.
Lots of people don't tie their happiness to financial matters. And that's healthy. But I think to feel like you don't have to struggle, or are no longer just kind of treading water...I think he's pretty spot on with the 5M net worth figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 09:49 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I'd characterize it as the threshold for a comfort level of financial security here.
Lots of people don't tie their happiness to financial matters. And that's healthy. But I think to feel like you don't have to struggle, or are no longer just kind of treading water...I think he's pretty spot on with the 5M net worth figure.
Sorry but that's just a ridiculous supposition and figure. Don't need much, or any, net worth at all. So many ways to skin a cat. I'm just going to keep right on laughing ...

Old 01-31-2018, 10:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Apparently you have never been to Texas, or around too many Texans.

Californians pale in comparison to Texans, never seen anything like it.

FYI, it's always the newcomers especially the current generation. They move from Nebraska to Southern CA having watched "Entourage" and "90210" and in order to be trendy put on airs. As a native you should know this.
I grew up in Canoga Park, right in the middle of the San Fernando Valley (which I still call 'the Valley'. Our house had 2 to 3 bedrooms, one used for a small den, and we had a big yard and lots of grass to which we added a doughboy pool. Dad had a hate/love relationship with the yard and all that grass. We also had mature walnut trees and got to have our fill of fresh walnuts. Until highschool, when Dad got a new job near the ocean, we lived in our smallish house not even thinking its was smallish.

Our new house had a mostly not useful decorative living room. The dining room with its big table was the place you did whatever with large pieces, including cutting sewing patterns. The small family room next to the kitchen was sort of crowded, but we spend most of out time in there, with the kitchen and bathroom and backyard near.

We didn't go to the beach in the summer as it was too crowded, even if we could walk there. I'd walk down when it was cooler just because it was nice and quiet. But I didn't do sun bathing anymore.

Mom died there. Dad missed her so much he mostly lost himself, with blood flow problems which sped things up. We'd lived next to the power plant, and in addition to Dad I had a bad anti immune condition. The whole area was full of contamination.

I've had ups and downs, but go with the flow, and feel like I lost Mom and Dad too soon. I've got a small house in a small town states away from California. I'm happy just keeping occupied and peaceful. But I miss some good friends left in California. And am quite okay with my four legged kids and my little house, and much peaceful time. In a way I feel like now, over any other time, I can comfortably just relax and be me.

I also believe in reincarnation, and that this life was one of learning, and growing away from the mistakes and I'll be much better prepared to be a part of the next life. The one before was one of great hurt and anger, and this one shared some of it. But I've learned to let go of those things for they will own you until you choose that they no longer can. I feel as if I have done in this life what completes me and can see life in greater balance now.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:19 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
I agree with you that a lot of people don’t tie their happiness to financial matters, and that healthy.

I couldn’t disagree more that you need a $5M net worth not to struggle, that’s insane!

I learned a long time ago that some people aren’t happy no matter what they have, while some are happy with what they have.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Interesting. I've found totally the opposite to be true. Guess it depends on the lens you're looking through.
No lens, just the facts.

Even here in CA I have run in to it from transplanted Texans to visitors from Texas.

One example was when I attended the TCM Film Festival in Hollywood a couple of years back, got into a conversation with two women from Austin, not too far into it one says out of the blue "well it's not all that here"...WTF? Had nothing to do with the topic, just a put down on CA.

Go to Texas and they just go on and on about the state, I find it pretty ugly for the most flat and not a lot of trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Oh geez. Been to Texas. You are so right.

As to CA being expensive, sure. If you live in the urban coastal areas or Monterrey. I live in a desirable retirement area where home prices are 25% of the Bay Area or LA. I’m Retired in CA!
Thank you, I will add in I went to college in New Mexico in the 80s, lot of students from TX, same drill. in fact many in NM can't stand Texans, they come to ski because you can't do that in TX.

Personally I think it is one of the ugliest states in the US.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
That's because people want to make it out like California is the best when in reality it's not at all. I left last month and I got my first paycheck today here in NC. I am making the same I made in Pasadena with a much lower COL, paying less in rent in a much bigger house not a apartment.
You left out the part that you moved to CA with a few kids and wife who didn't work(even though your kids were all in school) and two car notes. NC isn't that cheap, cheaper than CA yes, but I remember well your comments and a lot of your financial difficulties you brought on yourself, but of course much easier to blame CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Actually I have been to Waco, San Antonio and Austin. SA and Waco the residents couldn't be nicer. Austin they were nice but don't think they're thrilled with Californians there... maybe independent can chime in here with his opinion. Texas is state proud but I didn't find them elitist they just have Texas stars and flags everywhere.
Yes, they can be nice, they're also quite full of themselves.

BTW, by saying what you said about Austin just proves my point....LOL. They're not thrilled with pretty much anyone who isn't from TX.

Before I even lived in CA I got a real eye opener from 4 years of college in New Mexico, not all but many were stuck up and thought being from TX made them better, New Mexicans who are pretty down to earth weren't thrilled with them.

In fact a local joke was "Why is New Mexico so windy?", "Because Texas sucks".

There were others, but you get the idea.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:37 AM

882 posts, read 688,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No lens, just the facts.

Even here in CA I have run in to it from transplanted Texans to visitors from Texas.

One example was when I attended the TCM Film Festival in Hollywood a couple of years back, got into a conversation with two women from Austin, not too far into it one says out of the blue "well it's not all that here"...WTF? Had nothing to do with the topic, just a put down on CA.

Go to Texas and they just go on and on about the state, I find it pretty ugly for the most flat and not a lot of trees.

Thank you, I will add in I went to college in New Mexico in the 80s, lot of students from TX, same drill. in fact many in NM can't stand Texans, they come to ski because you can't do that in TX.

Personally I think it is one of the ugliest states in the US.
It's your subjective opinion, but it's certainly not a fact. Your experience is simply different than mine. I've seen nothing of the sort.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:15 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Washington is physically beautiful, but, like the apples it grows, it is pretty on the outside, but frequently rotten on the inside.
This is a surprise. I have several friends who went to college in the Pacific Northwest--we all grew up in southern California--and never came back. They're mostly settled in the Seattle area. They all love it there, and even with families here, they say that they won't ever return. It IS beautiful, although I could not deal with the weather in the winter.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:30 AM

689 posts, read 2,582,143 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity - how does your financial projection hold up with 25K/year in medical expenses and property tax based on last year assessed value (at same rates)? And increases in all other categories of taxes and fees.
Have you done that contingency plan? Because that's what I would be including in my "worst case scenario".
Prop 13 is not going away for residential properties, especially for retired folks who have owned for a long time.

It is possible that the current folks running the show in Washington could screw up Medicare, even then I'm not sure where that $25K/year for medical expenses comes from.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:48 AM

882 posts, read 688,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
Prop 13 is not going away for residential properties, especially for retired folks who have owned for a long time.

It is possible that the current folks running the show in Washington could screw up Medicare, even then I'm not sure where that $25K/year for medical expenses comes from.
Well, going quite a bit off on a tangent now. But I find it necessary to chime in on this one. That $25k would come from some that are not covered by a corporate plan (that 10% of the population). My wife and I are currently covered by her ex-company's plan on a subsidized basis until April (she received a package when she left). On her company plan, we averaged $5k a year for Med/Dental/Vision. A very good plan as your typical corporate plan for health coverage from the Kaiser Foundation estimate for end of 2016 was $5277 (I'm guessing that's only Medical). To find an equivalent plan to ours on Covered CA, I recall us having to pay between $22k-$24k (needless to say, we made too much to be subsidized). I went into this into detail on another thread and was greeted with pages and pages of argument (which I'm not going to waste my time with). I looked up comparables, and that's what I got for us (if anyone finds the need to call me a liar, feel free...it really doesn't matter to me as I know what I saw and I'm not going to waste my time with anyone that tells me it isn't so just because they're so caught up on the political BS).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California