Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 01:30 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,182 times

Advertisements

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...n-12553616.php

Quote:
San Francisco is on track to open its first two safe injection sites this July, a milestone that will likely make the city the first in the country to embrace the controversial model of allowing drug users to shoot up under supervision.

Other cities — including Seattle, Baltimore and Philadelphia — are talking about opening their own safe injection facilities, but San Francisco could get there first. Facilities already exist in Canada, Australia and Europe.
Progressives leading the way!

Old 02-06-2018, 01:32 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Can the DEA agents camp outside those sites like the ICE agents and court houses?

Old 02-06-2018, 02:10 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Leading the way into hell...what a pit San Francisco is. Poop on - and in the stairs of Bart -; people beating the crap out of each other on Oakland Bart. Perversion. Over the top high rents. What a dump...

Old 02-06-2018, 03:26 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,492 times
This is a good thing. Hopefully it prevents overdoses and cut down on the spread of disease by not sharing dirty needles. Additionally, counselors will have a chance to talk to users about seeking help with their addiction.
So many people are in a hurry to discard drug users rather than try to help them, which of course, is a huge challenge.
A program in Portugal, while not perfect, has seen success in the treatment of drug users and not demonizing them.
Give the program a chance people as the so-called war on drugs isn't working.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:28 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
It's about time.

Another topic CaliRestoration clearly knows nothing about ... should be fun.
Lol! repped.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:39 PM

30,317 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Can the DEA agents camp outside those sites like the ICE agents and court houses?
Yeah, because throwing drug addicts in jail (where even MORE drugs are readily available) is the way to solve this problem... c'mon people, have we learned NOTHING in the last 100 or so years?

And for those who oppose these safe injection sites, I would like to hear your reasons why. In fact, I'd like to see if you even understand what they provide. Believe it or not, they are a good thing.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:41 PM

30,317 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Progressives leading the way!
We sure do! Thanks for noticing.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:54 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, because throwing drug addicts in jail (where even MORE drugs are readily available) is the way to solve this problem... c'mon people, have we learned NOTHING in the last 100 or so years?

And for those who oppose these safe injection sites, I would like to hear your reasons why. In fact, I'd like to see if you even understand what they provide. Believe it or not, they are a good thing.
Either we have led or we don’t.

If we are to have “safe injection sights” which are “law free zones” one might as well just make drugs legal.

Should I be punished to do the same thing a junkie is doing in a “safe injection site” when doing it in my home safely and responsibly?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:03 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times
The term "harm reduction" needs to be deconstructed. I think if you really get down to the nitty-gritty, it will turn out less to be about compassion for drug addicts than about dinero - the reason it is being promoted has to do with money - not sure of particulars - hope someone fleshes it out.

It is SICK to ENABLE drug addicts with easy access to their paraphernalia!

Drugs are toxic!

Most heroin is laced with Fentanol (sp.?) - which is SUPER DEADLY.

All of the alleged do-gooders pro free needles and injection sites . . . do they realize drugs are DEADLY?

What are people supposed to do after they shoot up in government facilities? Lay around and nod off?

This is beyond stupid.

Maybe if natural consequences were taught, then people would realize "Hey, this is a really dumb way to live" and WANT to get off drugs.

This is the government sanctioning drug use, sickness, and homelessness.

How long do these street junkies tend to live? Are there numbers on that, I wonder? I would think it would be a really rough life and that they would not live long.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
It's called harm reduction, not just a liberal idea however. It accomplishes a number of things; reduces overdoses, keeps people from discarding syringes on the streets and cuts down on people sharing needles and spreading disease. Some things we can't fix, like drug addiction but we can do things that make it safer for the rest of us and less of a financial drain on our health care systems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California