Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:11 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
-If renting a car, take a trip down the 405 and from Seal Beach, take PCH down OC’s coastline through Huntington, Newport, CDM, and Laguna Beaches. It’s a beautiful drive and you can end at Laguna and shop/eat/people watch on the main beach, or go to one of the many coves and walk along the tide pools. (Always fun no matter the age!)

^If you’re going the other way, head up to Santa Barbara and spend a day doing the exact same thing there.

Have fun!
I had to laugh reading this. Yes! You too can experience the horrid traffic of which LA is famous for! Shouldn't take more than eight hours (each way) to do this drive from Pasadena. Or maybe just six hours from Santa Monica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:58 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I had to laugh reading this. Yes! You too can experience the horrid traffic of which LA is famous for! Shouldn't take more than eight hours (each way) to do this drive from Pasadena. Or maybe just six hours from Santa Monica.
Of course it would require a day trip. However, it’s never taken me that long to travel from CDM to Pasadena which I used to do 3x a week. At most, it would take me 3 hours, especially during rain. But when I cruise around for leisure I usually do so at times/days that I know traffic will be mostly light-moderate.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:19 PM

3,880 posts, read 4,533,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraLe View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I were thinking about celebrating our 1 year anniversary by visiting your beautiful state. Now I will be the first to admit, as an east coaster that I know nothing about CA other than what I see in movies.

We were thinking about either going to Los Angeles or to San Francisco in November.
In either city where would you recommend staying (I don't need actual hotels more like general areas/neighborhoods).
We are 28 years old, we like music, movies, art, sightseeing, the beach, etc...
Neither of us have ever been out there. What are some things to do, places to see that you would recommend. We honestly like everything. Traditional sightseeing information is great as is anything else you recommend. I plan on doing some research of course but I wanted to ask you guys you thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
I can only pitch for LA because I live in between LA and San Diego, and I've only been to San Francisco a couple of times very briefly. (John Muir woods north of SF is beautiful for sure!)

Keeping your interests in mind, here are a few landmarks in the Hollywood area... If you find a place to stay for a few days a lot of these places are within walking distance or a quick Uber ride.

Mega new and used record store (lots of characters milling around)
https://www.amoeba.com/

Beautiful movie theaters with landmark Cinerama Dome next door to Amoeba records
https://www.arclightcinemas.com/

Touristy Hollywood Blvd. famous Chinese Theater (where movie stars put their hands in cement)
TCL Chinese Theatres |

(plus a few hours stroll up and down Hollywood Blvd. is interesting for silly stuff like Ripley's Believe it nor not museum and Hollywood Wax Museum and of course the people watching)

About a mile walk east on Hollywood Blvd. from the Chinese Theater is our fave brewery.
Blue Palms Brewhouse

Sunset Blvd is the famous Roxy Theater for live music
https://www.theroxy.com/

About 10-15 miles west of Hollywood is the Getty Museum, beautiful place to walk around with art displays and great views and it's free except you pay for parking. (on the way you could stop by famous Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills for kicks)
J. Paul Getty Museum | The Getty

I would also check out the Griffith Observatory... also beautiful views, gorgeous Art Deco building and nothing like the "art" of space!
Official Site: Griffith Observatory Los Angeles, CA

Downtown has some of the larger venues like Nokia and Staples if a big artist is in town, but one of our fave things to do downtown is to spend time at the Grammy Museum. There's a listening table with headphones of all the musical genres of music (really addicting!) and hands on displays of recording techniques. Love that place!
https://www.grammymuseum.org/

Afterwards our favorite landmark restaurant (mostly because it's casual, delicious and serves breakfast all day!) is nearby
The ORIGINAL Pantry Cafe

For scenic, I'd start with the Santa Monica Pier and then take a leisurly trip down the coast ending up in Laguna Beach. Beautiful area and the downtown is famous for it's variety of art shops and galleries.
Visit Laguna Beach | Things to Do, Hotels & Restaurants

(Tip: Laguna Beach Hotels can be very expensive, if you're on a budget, my husband's relatives enjoy staying here, and it's only about 20 minutes away in Laguna Hills... Laguna Hills Hotels | Laguna Hills Lodge Laguna Hills CA Hotel near Irvine Spectrum)

If you have time, take a trip down to San Diego. (Avoid going on a Saturday, the traffic is the worst on that day) The La Jolla Area is the most scenic beach, but near the downtown area is the world famous San Diego Zoo and it's adjacent to the beautiful Balboa Park!
https://www.balboapark.org/

The big destinations for many visitors are of course Disneyland in Anaheim, and Sea World in San Diego. Both worth while if you want to go epic.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a few of our fave things to do and these suggestions are the tip of the iceberg to see and do in the LA/So Cal area. If you want more, go here:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

Happy Anniversary!

Old 03-12-2018, 10:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
I would recommend areas in the Bay Area. Bay Area does not solely mean San Francisco.

There is much more to the Bay Area then San Francisco!
  • Check out a concert at the Mountain Winery
  • Take a hike in Big Basin to Berry Creek Falls
  • Drive through the Santa Cruz Mountains to the Pacific Highway...take this to Montara Beach and walk this beach on a calm sunny day
  • Take in an intimate live Jazz performance at the Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society located in Half Moon Bay...not one bad seat in the house!
  • Try a food and wine paring at St. Francis Winery
  • Take a drive along the great Pacific Highway to Santa Cruz and either join in or watch the kite surfers
  • Have a great dinner at Hillstone's in San Francisco or Scoma's in Sausalito

Old 03-15-2018, 12:02 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,256,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...s-12284854.php

I don't care for theme parks, which is why LA does not appeal to me, over SF, But it is a personal choice.
Besides Disneyland, theme parks are the same everywhere. You can find them in lots of places, including the Bay Area. I wouldn't plan a CA trip around roller coasters.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I would recommend areas in the Bay Area. Bay Area does not solely mean San Francisco.

There is much more to the Bay Area then San Francisco!
  • Check out a concert at the Mountain Winery
  • Take a hike in Big Basin to Berry Creek Falls
  • Drive through the Santa Cruz Mountains to the Pacific Highway...take this to Montara Beach and walk this beach on a calm sunny day
  • Take in an intimate live Jazz performance at the Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society located in Half Moon Bay...not one bad seat in the house!
  • Try a food and wine paring at St. Francis Winery
  • Take a drive along the great Pacific Highway to Santa Cruz and either join in or watch the kite surfers
  • Have a great dinner at Hillstone's in San Francisco or Scoma's in Sausalito
I love your itinerary!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I can only pitch for LA because I live in between LA and San Diego, and I've only been to San Francisco a couple of times very briefly. (John Muir woods north of SF is beautiful for sure!)

Keeping your interests in mind, here are a few landmarks in the Hollywood area... If you find a place to stay for a few days a lot of these places are within walking distance or a quick Uber ride.

Mega new and used record store (lots of characters milling around)
https://www.amoeba.com/

Beautiful movie theaters with landmark Cinerama Dome next door to Amoeba records
https://www.arclightcinemas.com/

Touristy Hollywood Blvd. famous Chinese Theater (where movie stars put their hands in cement)
TCL Chinese Theatres |

(plus a few hours stroll up and down Hollywood Blvd. is interesting for silly stuff like Ripley's Believe it nor not museum and Hollywood Wax Museum and of course the people watching)

About a mile walk east on Hollywood Blvd. from the Chinese Theater is our fave brewery.
Blue Palms Brewhouse

Sunset Blvd is the famous Roxy Theater for live music
https://www.theroxy.com/

About 10-15 miles west of Hollywood is the Getty Museum, beautiful place to walk around with art displays and great views and it's free except you pay for parking. (on the way you could stop by famous Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills for kicks)
J. Paul Getty Museum | The Getty

I would also check out the Griffith Observatory... also beautiful views, gorgeous Art Deco building and nothing like the "art" of space!
Official Site: Griffith Observatory Los Angeles, CA

Downtown has some of the larger venues like Nokia and Staples if a big artist is in town, but one of our fave things to do downtown is to spend time at the Grammy Museum. There's a listening table with headphones of all the musical genres of music (really addicting!) and hands on displays of recording techniques. Love that place!
https://www.grammymuseum.org/

Afterwards our favorite landmark restaurant (mostly because it's casual, delicious and serves breakfast all day!) is nearby
The ORIGINAL Pantry Cafe

For scenic, I'd start with the Santa Monica Pier and then take a leisurly trip down the coast ending up in Laguna Beach. Beautiful area and the downtown is famous for it's variety of art shops and galleries.
Visit Laguna Beach | Things to Do, Hotels & Restaurants

(Tip: Laguna Beach Hotels can be very expensive, if you're on a budget, my husband's relatives enjoy staying here, and it's only about 20 minutes away in Laguna Hills... Laguna Hills Hotels | Laguna Hills Lodge Laguna Hills CA Hotel near Irvine Spectrum)

If you have time, take a trip down to San Diego. (Avoid going on a Saturday, the traffic is the worst on that day) The La Jolla Area is the most scenic beach, but near the downtown area is the world famous San Diego Zoo and it's adjacent to the beautiful Balboa Park!
https://www.balboapark.org/

The big destinations for many visitors are of course Disneyland in Anaheim, and Sea World in San Diego. Both worth while if you want to go epic.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a few of our fave things to do and these suggestions are the tip of the iceberg to see and do in the LA/So Cal area. If you want more, go here:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

Happy Anniversary!
Also a great itinerary! The OP will have to roll the dice on this one. BTW, Amoeba Records is from the Bay Area, where there are two locations even!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:55 AM

307 posts, read 241,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Picking LA just for the weather is not a great reason. LA is LA regardless of the time of year. The Bay Area is the Bay Area regardless of the time of year. Gosh, why assume the OP is gonna want to sit on a ocean beach all day?

With that said, the Bay Area offers a much more diverse experience, both natural and man made than LA.
Here we go.. I was hoping this wouldn't happen. It was only a matter of time I guess

Old 03-16-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
Here we go.. I was hoping this wouldn't happen. It was only a matter of time I guess
Hoping what wouldn't happen? I don't see what's so strange about that poster's statement. I would agree with it. With its unique topographic mix of bays, deltas, estuaries, a few rivers, beaches, mountains, views, and both cool redwood forests and hot dry valleys, the Bay Area has a much greater palette of natural diversity than LA. More flavors. Same for its man-made diversity: LA metro is primarily semi dense urban sprawl, whereas the Bay Area has the more intense density of SF, also some urban sprawl, but also tons of small, charming semi-rural towns for daytrips, along with several wine countries. Again, more flavors. What was wrong with that poster's comment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California