U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 07:58 PM

11,480 posts, read 10,676,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
What's funny is I don't think a million dollar house will get you an ocean view, Heck in the bay area your lucky to get a house for a million.
I agree with your last two sentences for the OP.
You're right. Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that about a million dollar ocean view I love the ocean too but wouldn't want to live by it. Too damp for my bones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 PM

17,006 posts, read 15,980,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I get it. It's an ongoing thing around here. A good number of people are more than willing to question why you're happy when they know you shouldn't be.
So true!

Old 03-11-2018, 02:00 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,660,402 times
Leaving in "droves ". Lol. Makes me laugh. Favorite word from CA bashers.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:00 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,083,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Leaving in "droves ". Lol. Makes me laugh. Favorite word from CA bashers.
Leaving in droves is one of the bashers favorite,but also they enjoy calling California a Third World State or a Failed State.
(Me)Sure their are some people leaving California and that's normal because people come and go in every state as well,but California's out migration is not even that high compared to other states and our population is approaching 40 Million through natural and inward migration,and also this state's economy continues to grow and the unemployment rate is dropping.

Also some say your either Rich or Poor in California.
(Me)Their are many Middle Income Earners that live in The Central Valley and The Deserts who live a comfortable lifestyle.

I'm well aware of the problems we face here in California,but unfortunately the haters/bashers will always find something negative to say no matter what

Old 03-11-2018, 10:08 PM

7,446 posts, read 4,842,700 times
Quote:
You're right. Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that about a million dollar ocean view I love the ocean too but wouldn't want to live by it. Too damp for my bones.
I prefer to live a bit inland for the same reason. I moved to California for sunshine and dry weather, and so being inland just suits me better. In fact, my husband and I are thinking about buying a small place in the California desert so we can get even more heat on the old bones.

You got me curious though - is it really IMPOSSIBLE to find a home with an ocean view anywhere in California for less than a million bucks? I did a quick check of Zillow and found there actually were plenty of options along our 850 miles of coastline. So, it's quite possible to buy a home in California with ocean views for less than a million.

As I said earlier, we are lucky to live in a wonderful state AND country, both with so many choices.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:12 AM

6,371 posts, read 4,553,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I prefer to live a bit inland for the same reason. I moved to California for sunshine and dry weather, and so being inland just suits me better. In fact, my husband and I are thinking about buying a small place in the California desert so we can get even more heat on the old bones.

You got me curious though - is it really IMPOSSIBLE to find a home with an ocean view anywhere in California for less than a million bucks? I did a quick check of Zillow and found there actually were plenty of options along our 850 miles of coastline. So, it's quite possible to buy a home in California with ocean views for less than a million.

As I said earlier, we are lucky to live in a wonderful state AND country, both with so many choices.
Well of course you can buy an ocean view home in Ca for under a million. I think most of us talk about an ocean view home in a metro area or close to it like LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Monterey, etc, and other places where most of us would want to live.
I know full well that if you pick a remote location up the Ca coast going north you will find them in places like say Trinidad.
You could also make an absolute statement housing is indeed affordable in California if you want to pick a house in Alturas or remote desert areas for $25K.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:31 AM

11,480 posts, read 10,676,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

You're right, Rosie. I began to check out homes with an ocean view but stopped short when I found THE one. Just under a million and the ocean view isn't exactly on the beach but who needs it with the scenery surrounding the home. check it out .... 4100 Fairway Drive, Out Of Area Property Listing: MLS® #ML81686657 Sweet!

Good luck in your search for a little piece of the desert.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well of course you can buy an ocean view home in Ca for under a million. I think most of us talk about an ocean view home in a metro area or close to it like LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Monterey, etc, and other places where most of us would want to live.
I know full well that if you pick a remote location up the Ca coast going north you will find them in places like say Trinidad.
You could also make an absolute statement housing is indeed affordable in California if you want to pick a house in Alturas or remote desert areas for $25K.
Obviously, real estate is more expensive in the major metro areas (that is true in EVERY state, of course), but even then, there will be some options (maybe not in the Bay area, but elsewhere).

I found homes with ocean views listed for under $1 million in San Diego County, Orange County, Ventura County, and Santa Cruz County. They're not all right on the sand, of course, and some may be townhomes/condos, but there were listings in "places most of us would want to live" for ocean view homes under $1 million.

Still, I agree with you that I wouldn't recommend that anyone arrive in San Francisco, LA, or San Diego expecting to snag a beachfront home for $200,000. We can all agree that those days ended circa 1955.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:05 AM

Quote:
You're right, Rosie. I began to check out homes with an ocean view but stopped short when I found THE one. Just under a million and the ocean view isn't exactly on the beach but who needs it with the scenery surrounding the home. check it out .... 4100 Fairway Drive, Out Of Area Property Listing: MLS® #ML81686657 Sweet!

Good luck in your search for a little piece of the desert.
Oh, now that one IS pretty sweet indeed.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:12 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,002,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
A better questions is, why do they care so much about people moving from California? I wouldn't care if 10 times the amount of people moved out.
DUHHH. Because the people moving OUT are generally middle-class families, not illegal immigrants or ultra wealthy (although they're moving out too, to a degree.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or