Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 03:53 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times

Advertisements

Getty Museum, CA Science Center both in LA, Huntington Botanical Gardens in Pasadena

or ride in a boat in Newport Beach and see the whales
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 05:08 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Thanks guys! Any other ideas?

While I'm on this topic, one day probably when it gets warmer in the summertime, a cousin & I will spend the day together. We live on opposite ends of each other.

I have a couple of ideas:

1) She drives to my place, then I'll drive us to a mall or two in the area, maybe have lunch or some snack, then I drive us back, & she goes home.

2) She drives to my place, then I'll drive us to Knott's Berry Farm because she's never been in probably eons, then we go back home.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
This is probably a drive for you but I live in Santa Monica and would spend many a weekend day strolling Venice Beach walk with a friend...many art exhibits, many entertainers and some nice places for foods. I was a great walker all my life and we would park in Santa Monica beach parking lot and walk to the venice walk and spend the day and see the sights and suck up the sun...mostly on a nice sunny day....miss it as I don't walk well since my knee issue.

I hear a lot about Knotts lately, cheaper than Disney by miles and fun and good eats.

Getty on the hill is a great day spent.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:28 AM

Today's Easter & I already went to church a couple days ago, so once again, I'm trying to think of where to go because I don't want to stay home all day.

jaminhealth, thanks. For some odd reason, I think I noticed for the 1st time that you live in Santa Monica! I like that city, but yes, it is clear across & on the opposite end of L.A. from me. I only go there really to go to the 3rd Street Promenade, the big farmer's market they have, the Burger Lounge, and the Santa Monica Place mall across the street. I also like that Curious Palate restaurant. I've also gone to the SM pier & that Bubba Gump's restaurant out there. Do you ever go to any of those?

What else is interesting in S. Monica?

Last edited by Forever Blue; 04-01-2018 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 08:47 AM

I'd finally go to Universal Studios again today or soon since I haven't gone in a while, but their prices are generally over $100 pp these days, so if I'm going to pay that much, I'd MUCH rather just choose Disneyland!

Old 04-01-2018, 12:49 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
You might see if there are any destinations that sound fun to you on this site: https://californiathroughmylens.com/...de-attractions

Sometimes, all you need is a destination. The fun stuff happens getting there.

You don't have to be an outdoorsy type to drive through Joshua Tree National Park (https://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm). There are plenty of stops in the park that don't involve hiking, and it is beautiful! I also highly recommend the ranger led trip to Keys Ranch.
A ranger takes you to an old homestead and explains the history of the ranch and the family that lived there. You have to get tickets at the visitors center the day of the tour, and tickets are limited, but it is one of the most interesting things I've done in a national park.
No hiking involved. https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/ranchtour.htm

There are also some quirky art stops in the Joshua Tree area like Joshua Tree Outdoor Museum

Anza Borrego State Park in eastern San Diego is another beautiful desert area to drive through, and you don't have to be a hiker to appreciate it.

And, these two attractions make for interesting, quirky day road trips -- they are five minutes apart from each other:

Salvation Mountain - Official Website - Niland, California

East Jesus

The Julian area is another fun destination in San Diego County. Welcome to Julian, California

And, there's also Big Bear and Idylwild -- I like them both because they feel worlds apart from the rest of Southern California. (Palomar Mountain is another one in San Diego County that feels that way)

Old 04-01-2018, 10:21 PM

179 posts, read 272,068 times
It has many history museums but also very historical houses and various sights to see: Passport 2 History - Home Page
I have enjoyed visiting many of those places.

Also: have you visited the Mission Inn in Riverside? There are walking tours available, and I highly recommend taking one to get into certain rooms/spots you can't on your own. It's a big hotel that has interesting architecture, talking parrots, history, and lots of beauty.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:57 AM

Thanks so much guys for your help. 2 wknds this month of April, I'll be thinking about where to go as well, so perhaps I'll choose one of your ideas!

But on 2 other weekends, I know where to go...this artisan crafts faire w/ vendors selling homemade goods & other things. And on another weekend in this huge pet expo that I usually go to every 2-3 yrs even when I don't have a pet myself. If I had a pet, I'd go every 1-2 yrs. That's the kind of events I like!

Depending on what month it is, I can find things to do about 1/2 of the weekends of the month.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:33 PM

505 posts, read 502,102 times
I just recently went to the Pasadena Museum of California Art, and I thought it was a really cool little museum. I've been to most of the larger ones (I have yet to get into the Broad, but one of these days I'll finally do it!) so I like going to the smaller museums.

Admission is cheap ($7 for adults) and their current exhibition revolves around Chicano/a art (mainly Eduardo Carrillo).

It's in a busy area of Pasadena so there's plenty more to do, and a quick ride to DTLA on the Gold Line as well.

I haven't been to the Museum of Tolerance yet, is it worth a visit?

Old 04-04-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
...I haven't been to the Museum of Tolerance yet, is it worth a visit?
Thanks for the suggestion!

I know it's important to learn/know the info they show there, but it was one of the most boring places I've ever been to. I had to go for a college class assignment when I went. It examines racism and prejudices around the world with a strong focus on the history of the Holocaust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California