Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2007, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 15,110 times

Advertisements

My husband grew up in Southern California in San Diego. I, the wife, grew up in Omaha, Nebraska. We lived in California with 3 children and we couldn't afford any houses in the San Diego area. We looked into Temecula and my husband got laid off from his job and it forced us out of California. We have had 3-4 families living together in our neighborhood. My family do not want to share our place with other families. We want privacy. So we moved to South Dakota and it worked very well for us. I do not miss California's traffic jams. I will not forget how long it took us to get to Laughlin from San Diego a day after Christmas. It was supposed to take 4 and half hours and it took 9 and half hours instead! We were like in a parade all the way to Laughlin. I didn't notice anything about S. Ca before I moved to Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls in South Dakota is VERY clean. Over Christmas, I saw a lot of litter trash all over California and neglected market carts everywhere. While I lived in San Diego and got tired of the traffic, I'd start counting market carts. I never seen that in Omaha where I grew up in. Yes, the weather is nice in Southern California. Sometimes the stability of the weather makes life boring. So I'd go to Mt. Julian if I miss the sight of SNOW. We almost considered moving back to California and live in Temecula; a more affordable place to live by San Diego. BUT I got mixed feelings after visiting California during the holidays. I told my husband, "I am thinking twice." So now, we are aheaded to the Burbs of Chicago. I just cannot BEAR California's traffic -- I have NO patience! Time is precious and I don't want to waste most of my life jammed in TRAFFIC. I'd rather use the precious time with my children where TRAFFIC is not as bad. California has become overpopulated with foreigners from Mexico, China, Japan, etc). Too bad that California is not large enough to hold all of non-Americans and Americans. I like a ROOMY atomsphere. California is not for me BUT I can visit it any time I like. I am able to enjoy California as a visitor than a resident -- I have more MONEY because it's cheaper to live in the Midwest than it is in California. In Ca., a lot ppl stay at home and cannot afford to go out because their house payments r too high. Those who have moved into San Diego years ago in the 70's are lucky than those in the 2000's. They didn't have to pay so much for housing. My in-laws told my husband not to move back to California unless he earns 150,000 or more to be comfortable in California. Sioux Falls is highly recommended a place to live for families, not singles. Sioux Falls is a family-centered town. It's very safe, too. We will miss the environment in Sioux Falls. My husband got transferred to Chicago and that's why we are leaving Sioux Falls, South Dakota. :c( Without a job in Sioux Falls, we'll have ZIP. Gotta go where the job takes us. That's the REALITY we live in; L I F E.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:26 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I found some very affordable acreage land 60-90 miles south of LA, probably not far from San Diego or some other medium to large city where you can work. It doesnt have to be rural, but rural is even cheaper. Speaking of Yuba city, I know a friend whos parents cashed in on their tiny house near Santa Clarita(silicon valley) and bought a house three times the size for half of what they sold their tiny house for! Do you know of any non-desert areas of CA that allow mobile homes?
You need a map NAH!!! lol Santa Clarita is NOT in Silicon Valley!!!

Old 01-19-2007, 05:29 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
60-90 miles south of LA is San Diego. I assume you are talking about property in the desert.

Property in the desert is always cheap and you can usually put a mobile home on it. The problem with desert property (especially in San Diego/Imperial County) is that it is very isolated. There is no easy way in and out of the desert without taking treacherous windy roads over high passes. This rules out anything truly commutable. If the lots do not have water, electric and phone, they are essentially unbuildable. You can't just dig a well in the desert.

There are a few brave souls who try to commute in and out of SD on the 8 fwy from Imperial County. The wear and tear on your car, tires, gas expense, not to mention the 2hr commute kills a lot of those dreams.

NAH, I strongly advise you to *visit* San Diego, especially these rural areas. You seem to be basing a lot of your knowledge on information gleaned from the internet, which offers you very little context.

Theres some good deals 50 miles east of LA in San Bernardino County. Youd be supprised how cheap some of those lots are, I could easily afford it! The setting, judging by the pictures appears to be mostly grass with some bushes and palm/pine/oak trees. Id say its semi rural but a short, easy commute to the heart of San Bernardino and near other towns and cities. Looks like a nice quiet lot in the country but near the city ammenities.
I probably would prefer to live in north CA even if its the same price for lots(cheap is cheap either way) because north CA has less crime, less pollution, less traffic, less illegals and the scinery is beautiful

Not interested in living in the desert or in the middle of nowhere. Some of those good deals are in towns, small cities or suburbs, one of them which even has ocean views(ill PM you the details) I sometimes wonder if those Californians could simply relocate to different areas of CA. Thats a huge state and to say CA sucks is generalizing, surely theres some desirable parts of CA without much of the problems! Yes im gonna defend CA!

Old 01-19-2007, 05:54 PM

11 posts, read 47,878 times
Thumbs down Why people are leaving Southern California

There are several reasons that I can think of
1) It is very expensive to live in Southern California.
2) Overcrowding and crabby people - everyone is in such a hurry here and because they are they can be very rude.
3) Illegal aliens are a huge problem in Southern California. It's as if the Mexicans are taking over the state. A great deal of things are in Spanish and they shouldn't be.
4) Gang violence.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:56 PM

28 posts, read 98,702 times
Reading through these posts seems like listening to a bunch of grumpy bitter people who can't afford a better quality of life and are blaming it on everything else but themselves.

Truth is -- you work hard enough and get yourself enough education, you can get a better job or even better create your own business. Guess what comes with that? The ability to have flexibility in where and how you live.

I am almost positive that many of you who are bashing CA would be the main ones bragging on the state if you made more than your average salaries. I'm sorry to sound so critical, but really you need to be honest with yourselves.

I moved from CA to CT 6 years ago and have regretted that move from Day 1. We bought a house in a community that touts the best school district in the state and guess what -- we are faced with people who have no diversity, who don't respect each other and who have no experience outside of this little community. Guess what else, the weather sucks 7-8 months out of the year and the other days you are so grumpy from the seasonal affective depression that you can't even enjoy them. We have lived in our home for 4 years and hate our neighbors -- we don't speak to them and in fact, find our friends in CA to be much nicer.

Those of you who are leaving, more power to you. I for one just accepted a job, found a house that is very large (2800 sq ft) and in a very safe coastal community and plan to be happy with my wonderful sunset views. Our taxes will be the same as taxes for our much cheaper home here and we won't have to deal with an average of $600 heating bills in the LONG winter or $400 air conditioning bills in the SHORT but HUMID summer. We'll just open our windows in CA and enjoy the wonderful breezes.

Good luck to all of you and I hope you enjoy your decisions whether it means living in CA or NC or SD or wherever.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:08 AM

38,880 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Default SoCal vs. Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandeenikole75 View Post
My husband grew up in Southern California in San Diego. I, the wife, grew up in Omaha, Nebraska. . . While I lived in San Diego and got tired of the traffic, I'd start counting market carts. I never seen that in Omaha where I grew up in. . .I have more MONEY because it's cheaper to live in the Midwest than it is in California.
I have a friend who lives in Omaha with his wife and kids. I met him when he moved out here and got a job at the company I worked in at the time. He kept telling me how he couldn't believe how crowded and expensive California was---not to mention how he felt people here were so unfriendly compared with the Midwest.

A year later, he moved back to Omaha and hasn't looked back. I've been there a number of times to visit, and am generally impressed with the area, except for the weather. I've also read in the Nebraska forum how high property taxes are there, even though housing is less expensive compared with California.

Yes, life is different here on the West Coast. I'm glad you're finding a better life in Illinois. I have to give your husband credit for adapting to the weather back there, considering he's a San Diego native. I'm not so sure if I could do that!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:49 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,130 times
[quote=myito;292613]
I am almost positive that many of you who are bashing CA would be the main ones bragging on the state if you made more than your average salaries. I'm sorry to sound so critical, but really you need to be honest with yourselves.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

Wrong!! Some of us make more than the average salaries and don't find the homes in California to be worth the price tag they are currently going for. Some of us want to retire early......I will have my home in Texas paid off by the time I'm 44. I am debt free because I left California. How many Californians can say that?? For us it's a quality of life issue....crowded schools??? No thanks!! Long commutes in traffic? No thanks!! Living around people who are ready to snap because they have no money in savings and are strapped to a house payment (of ungodly proportions) until they are 70??? No thanks!! There's more to life than the weather....there really is. (born and raised in San Diego by the way)

Old 01-21-2007, 09:00 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times
I can say that Shannon94, We have been Debt free for 2 years know. I am 40 and it is thanks to California. I live in a over a Million Dollor house here in Texas. Can you say that? You moved to Texas to soon. You should of stayed in California and bought a home in 1997 then cashed out in 1994. Instead of moving to Texas in 1997 in a crummy old house that you said you had to fix up for under $200,00. The city you live in is not desirable. Get real. You said you are going to be debt free but you will not be living large. You said earlier you are going to stay in that old home. Some peoples standard are alot higher then yours. Alot. You can have that crummy house in that crummy town. Yuck!

Old 01-21-2007, 09:28 AM

28 posts, read 98,702 times
Shannon,

I respect your response and agree that many people are looking for cheaper homes to reduce debt. Fact is though, you can have debt no matter where you go and if you don't manage it you can run into the same problems even in TX.

Texas is a lovely state so I wish you well.

For me, the equity I have from a condo I bought in West LA 10 years ago and my home here in the NE is more than enough to help me purchase in OC and a home that has ocean views. For me, there is nothing better than being able to enjoy the tranquility that will bring. Debt will always need to be managed, but happiness is priceless.

Best to you and your family in TX.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:43 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times
Myito, That is exactly what we are doing. We are looking in Orange County for a ocean view home. We are looking at Laguna Niguel, Dana Point and San Clemente. We used to live ocean front 2 years ago but cashed out and moved to Texas. We miss California and the ocean, the people (yes the people) but not the illegals, well that is another issue, the weather the scenery ect. It is like you said, alot of people move out for cheaper homes because to live in California in a nice beautiful community cost alot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California