Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,503,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is "visibly" better, but still bad. Many of the cities are over 2 times as bad as the national average, which itself is bad.

An example is say Newport beach right on the coast with good sea breezes which should make it good and whiule not as bad as many cities in CA, it is still bad.

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 129. This is significantly worse than average.
City:129U.S.:75

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Newpor...#ixzz5D4LkLw4g

Laguna Beach:

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 109. This is significantly worse than average.
City:109U.S.:75

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Laguna...#ixzz5D4M6EiN3

Malibu:

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 127. This is significantly worse than average.
City:127U.S.:75

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Malibu...#ixzz5D4MPAW1K

So that everyone knows anything above 50 is not good and above 100 is even worse.

I grew up there and it is NOT good now.
Did you miss the bit where he said it was the worst air pollution on the planet. THE PLANET. It isn't. Think Mexico City, or Beijing or for that matter any large city in China or India. The Los Angeles Basin or San Joaquin Valley is nothing compared to much of the developing world. And again, emissions are drastically lower than they were just 25 years ago. I have family in North Hollywood, Torrance and Stanton and remember the yellow-brown cloud of smog hanging over the region in the 60s and 70s when we'd go down to visit. It's positively pristine now by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 10:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,461,419 times
That is really funny, in a sad kind of way. What on earth are they supposed to do with all of those tumbleweeds? I guess rent a wood chipper? Can't burn them.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:59 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,374,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Did you miss the bit where he said it was the worst air pollution on the planet. THE PLANET. It isn't. Think Mexico City, or Beijing or for that matter any large city in China or India. The Los Angeles Basin or San Joaquin Valley is nothing compared to much of the developing world. And again, emissions are drastically lower than they were just 25 years ago. I have family in North Hollywood, Torrance and Stanton and remember the yellow-brown cloud of smog hanging over the region in the 60s and 70s when we'd go down to visit. It's positively pristine now by comparison.
You are missing the point. While other places are bad, CA is still bad air quality wise in virtually every aspect of air quality. What happens in Beijing, Mexico City, etc is meaningless to CA. CA has bad air almost all the time. The claim is that it is better than years ago, and if you go back 40 or 50 years that is true. But it ain't good at all, it is bad just not quite as bad. It is like saying I had stage 4 cancer years ago and now it is at stage 3, Woopy I am cancer free.

It is about .... CA and it's problems, though I will admit tumbleweeds are not as bad.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:50 AM

1,297 posts, read 1,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
LOL. I know. I don't think anyone who commented even looked at either of the articles. I thought it was wild to see how many tumbleweeds over took that entire neighborhood! Hard to imagine someone not being able to get out of their house because the tumbleweeds were piled so high and deep. I've never seen anything like that -- The pictures are amazing.
Right? The photos look like they could be from the opening scene of a sci fi film. First they cocoon the houses and morph into
humanity threatening creatures that then feed on humans. Or, maybe smog cause I want to acknowledge the posters that hijacked your thread.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:57 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,374,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Right? The photos look like they could be from the opening scene of a sci fi film. First they cocoon the houses and morph into
humanity threatening creatures that then feed on humans. Or, maybe smog cause I want to acknowledge the posters that hijacked your thread.
When I was a kid they would blow through our neighborhood in OC and were kind of fun.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:38 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,503,673 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. While other places are bad, CA is still bad air quality wise in virtually every aspect of air quality. What happens in Beijing, Mexico City, etc is meaningless to CA. CA has bad air almost all the time. The claim is that it is better than years ago, and if you go back 40 or 50 years that is true. But it ain't good at all, it is bad just not quite as bad. It is like saying I had stage 4 cancer years ago and now it is at stage 3, Woopy I am cancer free.

It is about .... CA and it's problems, though I will admit tumbleweeds are not as bad.
HE SAID WORST ON THE PLANET! ITS NOT! You seem to be missing the point. If I could use smaller words to explain why I called him on it I would. Maybe it would help. Do you disagree with the statement that California's air pollution is NOT the worst on the planet. If so please explain why.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:08 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,631,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
That is really funny, in a sad kind of way. What on earth are they supposed to do with all of those tumbleweeds? I guess rent a wood chipper? Can't burn them.
Looked like the city workers were hauling them away in dump trucks. Of course, where ever they dumped them, they'll just blow around in the wind some more, so my hunch is they had to cover them up with dirt to prevent that. We have a few tumbleweeds where I live, but nothing like that! It almost was like the tumbleweeds were taking over the houses. It must have been crazy to be inside the houses looking out and seeing nothing but tumbleweeds.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:09 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,631,431 times
Quote:
When I was a kid they would blow through our neighborhood in OC and were kind of fun.
Yeah, my kids always liked to see them roll through when they were little too. But, they're no fun to hit with your car (especially the big ones). I once had one fly up on my windshield while I was driving on the 125 in San Diego County and I literally couldn't see for a moment. And, I don't know what I'd do if I found them piled up to my second story. I guess that is just one of those times to get out the pitchfork.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:12 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,741,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
Yeah, not one Tumbleweed at our house in the Victor Valley (we're in the middle of a well manicured community), but I'd take tumbleweeds and occassional windstorms over living down the hill in the worst air pollution on the planet

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ies/524815002/

The only problem is we're still in Klownifornia, which is why we'll be relocating shortly...
Why don't you tell us how it compares to the air in China? You were so clever in pointing that out some time ago...

And it has nothing to do with tumbleweeds. We did have a few rolling around over here. It's usually a strong off shore breeze that brings them around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California