Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 06:29 PM

239 posts, read 301,749 times

Advertisements

Who here moved to California from somewhere else in the country, specifically an income-tax free state, and how did you adjust to the higher cost of living? Do you feel like living here is worth it?

My dad is originally from California (Fremont/Hayward), but left in 86' and has since lived in Washington, Nevada, and most recently Texas - all of these places are income-tax free and he has enjoyed that tremendously. Well, now he and my mom are considering moving back to California (Sacramento or San Diego) and they are excited about the prospect, but they're worried that the taxes will be too much to bare, at this point the only way my dad is justifying it is that with increasing property taxes in Texas, he feels like having the state income-tax will be equal. Is he right in his thinking or will he truly be paying more in taxes in CA?

I know that I have read some forums on here about people who moved from more expensive parts of TX to CA and they found that the taxes were about the same. I want to hear what everyone here thinks.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 08:32 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,477,246 times
As a native CA person, I don’t understand how spending a few thousand less in taxes one should settle for life in a state in which is not your first choice. Live where you want and be happy. Money should not your focus, unless you simply cannot afford the situation.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:05 PM

8,879 posts, read 11,664,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
Who here moved to California from somewhere else in the country, specifically an income-tax free state, and how did you adjust to the higher cost of living? Do you feel like living here is worth it?

My dad is originally from California (Fremont/Hayward), but left in 86' and has since lived in Washington, Nevada, and most recently Texas - all of these places are income-tax free and he has enjoyed that tremendously. Well, now he and my mom are considering moving back to California (Sacramento or San Diego) and they are excited about the prospect, but they're worried that the taxes will be too much to bare, at this point the only way my dad is justifying it is that with increasing property taxes in Texas, he feels like having the state income-tax will be equal. Is he right in his thinking or will he truly be paying more in taxes in CA?

I know that I have read some forums on here about people who moved from more expensive parts of TX to CA and they found that the taxes were about the same. I want to hear what everyone here thinks.

Thanks!
I lived in Los Angeles, then moved to Houston where I stayed for 6 years, and now live in Sacramento due to family obligation. If you make decent money and live within your means, TX makes sense financially. In my Houston neighborhood, where I bought my house for around $100K back in 2007, I had a police sergeant, a retired NYC firefighter, and a doctor for neighbors.

They are example of people living well within their means and don't buy fancy houses that comes with high property taxes. Take the doctor as an example. She makes around $200K a year and lives in a $130K house. Then there is the gas price which is a dollar higher in CA.

Speaking of high prices, things will only get worse in CA because the state is controlled by public employee unions which constantly want more money from taxpayers. If you haven't already read, they just increased car taxes and gas taxes to pay for their pensions. Next year they will probably hide under some other "We need more money for the kids" or "We need more money for public safety." BS to extract more money from taxpayers.

My short answer is: nice weather and oceans don't put food on your table. Come here only if it makes financial sense.

Last edited by davidt1; 04-27-2018 at 10:16 PM..

Old 04-27-2018, 09:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I lived in Los Angeles, then moved to Houston where I stayed for 6 years, and now live in Sacramento due to family obligation. If you make decent money and live within your means, TX makes sense financially. In my Houston neighborhood, where I bought my house for around $100K back in 2007, I had a police sergeant, a retired NYC firefighter, and a doctor for neighbors.

They are example of people living well within their means and don't buy fancy houses that comes with high property taxes. Take the doctor as an example. She makes around $200K a year and lives in a $130K house. Then there is the gas price which is a dollar higher in CA.

Speaking of high prices, things will only get worse in CA because the state is controlled by public employee unions which constantly want more money from taxpayers. If you haven't already read, they just increased car taxes and gas taxes to pay for their pensions. Next year they will probably hide under some other "We need more money for the kids" or "We need more money for public safety." BS to extract more money from taxpayers.

My short answer is: nice weather and oceans don't put food on your table. Come here only if it makes financially sense.
I just don’t get what you are saying. 12 cent a gallon tax (on top of a 40 cent oil company increase). Like anyone noticed with the greedy jump in gas prices. And please tell me about this fabled car tax increase of which you speak. Please respond. Thank you.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:01 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,746,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I just don’t get what you are saying. 12 cent a gallon tax (on top of a 40 cent oil company increase). Like anyone noticed with the greedy jump in gas prices. And please tell me about this fabled car tax increase of which you speak. Please respond. Thank you.
He’s talking about the increase in the vehicle registration fee that’s included with the 12 cents a gallon tax increase as well. The vehicle registration tax is honestly worse than the gas tax because for certain model year vehicles, you could be paying an additional $40-200 or more a year just to register your car. I know for years I only paid $89 for a 23 year old car, but this year it jumped $40 to a $129!! That seems crazy for such an old car, and that is why I’m so pissed off about this tax.

This just puts an added unnecessary financial burden on Californians. I don’t understand these politicians and why they keep drowning us in more taxes and expect everyone to sit back and take it like it’s no big deal!?

Now that the repeal measure has gathered enough signatures to qualify for this years November ballot, they (A-Hole politicians) are freaking out because they know that the tax will most likely be repealed by huge margins. This measure affects everyone, Republican and Democrats, so it doesn’t matter what party you lean towards, it hurts us all in our wallets and purses because we’ve heard this runaround many times where the state makes promises of doing this and that, and it never happens.

They think we’re all stupid and don’t know what’s going on, but we do, and what Brown did by passing this tax, goes to show that he’s corrupt for not letting the people decide for their own if they wanted this tax increase or not. He bypassed the voters and now it’s going to come back and bite him in his ass.

It will be a hard fight though, because they’ll make up lies and say how if we repeal the tax, then all these construction and infrastructure projects will be put on hold, and our roads will never get fixed, huh ya right.

Shoot, theres streets close to where I live that haven’t even been touch by a paver in over 20 years!! Actually is quite a lot of them, and even if you call the city to complain, they still never come out to repave it unless it’s considered a danger to drivers. It all comes down to the mismanagement of funds from the state, and local leaders that simply don’t care if the streets and freeways are falling apart.

How is it for a state such as CA that has the best weather in the world, have one of worst roads in the nation when we never really deal with rain or snow that degrades the asphalt?

It’s a matter of too many politicians putting infrastructure in the back of line.

Sorry for the off topic rant, but anyways if you are rich or very well off and don’t care about taxes or any of the political garbage that runs this state, then I say go for it. So true though, sunshine and beaches doesn’t put food on the table, nor is it worth it if you’re a slave to your job and you can’t enjoy the lifestyle.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:36 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,860,819 times
I lived in Florida, but moved to California while being the military so I was able to maintain Florida tax rate while living in California. Now, being a civilian I pay California taxes now, but I make so much more now even with the taxes it's hard for me to actually care.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:00 AM

10,295 posts, read 8,457,271 times
It's not rocket science, but too many people are lazy about writing out a budget on what it costs to live.
You write out all your expenses in Texas, then write them out for California. That will tell your parents where they stand.
Don't rely on people telling you what you can afford or can't afford. In the end if you make a mistake they won't be around to help you.
Simply put,do your homework and you will know.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:04 AM

10,295 posts, read 8,457,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post

Thanks!
You left out what kind of house they live in now and what their property taxes are and what they plan to buy in Ca. Also their income. W/o these no one can even give you a hint.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:04 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,469,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As a native CA person, I don’t understand how spending a few thousand less in taxes one should settle for life in a state in which is not your first choice. Live where you want and be happy. Money should not your focus, unless you simply cannot afford the situation.
Exactly.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:10 PM

239 posts, read 301,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
It's not rocket science, but too many people are lazy about writing out a budget on what it costs to live.
You write out all your expenses in Texas, then write them out for California. That will tell your parents where they stand.
Don't rely on people telling you what you can afford or can't afford. In the end if you make a mistake they won't be around to help you.
Simply put,do your homework and you will know.
They have done that, but its really just a matter of if it's worth it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California