Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 09:18 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post

People saying "good riddance" and moving away? Most of them regret it sooner than later, realize the "grass is NOT greener", life and environment in AZ, TX and FL sucks in comparison. Sure there's many cheaper places to live in the country, but they are cheap for a reason.
At least they don't have to deal with overcrowding and commuting to work in clogged highways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 01:13 AM

276 posts, read 221,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
At least they don't have to deal with overcrowding and commuting to work in clogged highways
True, the traffic in many parts of SoCAL is bad, real bad. But, use your mobile device and sigalert.com to plan alternates! Not overcrowded at all compared to say NY or Tokyo! Except for a few select high density areas, vast majority of LA is one big sleepy suburb with broad, quiet streets

Old 06-24-2018, 01:42 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post

Oh? I moved to LA from Phoenix and in my first apartment there it took me 45 minutes to drive 6 miles to work (mostly freeway). In my last apartment there, about 20 minutes to drive 2 miles (streets only). While I'm not familiar with Florida, I'm familiar with Arizona and Texas, and will gladly take the "overcrowding" in LA compared to whatever the hell you want to call it in those two states; both are like sprawling trailer parks. I felt like Phoenix/Arizona is a place you go to die, when you've given up on trying and just want to throw away the rest of your life in bland, cheap tract housing in an endless sea of super suburb. In my experience, in AZ and TX you'll also hear a lot of asinine justification as to why they need to remind themselves why they settle to live there ("at least I can buy a big house," "it's a dry heat," "this is real America," etc.) As I always say, you can't go to the bowels of America and not expect to be mired in s***.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:48 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Why puzzling about the high COL in CA? The answer is simple, because coastal CA is the best place to live in the US. Here's a short list of why....
Not quite. The fact that California has been underbuilding for 30 years now has a lot to do with high prices.

Even the New York Times said it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...ng-crisis.html

..the churning economy has run up against 30 years of resistance to the kind of development experts say is urgently needed. California has always been a desirable place to live and over the decades has gone through periodic spasms of high housing costs, but officials say the combination of a booming economy and the lack of construction of homes and apartments have combined to make this the worst housing crisis here in memory.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I felt like Phoenix/Arizona is a place you go to die.
Oh you'll certainly pass to the other side in that "nice dry" 120 degree Phoenix summer...

Old 06-24-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Not quite. The fact that California has been underbuilding for 30 years now has a lot to do with high prices.
That's certainly true too. But, thanks to Coastal Commission, the development is kept reasonable to preserve quality of life. Filling SoCal with skyscrapers full of people, would destroy that quality totally. The infrastructure, highways, are already strained to the limit with the current population, no way can you just build out to infinity, and have anything remaining of a pleasant life!

Old 06-24-2018, 02:00 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
Quote:
Oh you'll certainly pass to the other side in that "nice dry" 120 degree Phoenix summer...

Oddly, people there justify living in that godawful climate with all kinds of mantras ("it's a dry heat," "if you think it's bad here, live in XXX," "you can't shovel sunshine," etc.), but they certainly seem to spend a lot of time indoors April through October when triple digits hit. Granted climate wasn't a factor for why I left, but rather everything else that makes "cities" (using that term VERY loosely) like that what they are, but I certainly don't miss it being in triple digits after midnight.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:37 AM

1,203 posts, read 835,762 times
Quote:
People saying "good riddance" and moving away? Most of them regret it sooner than later, realize the "grass is NOT greener", life and environment in AZ, TX and FL sucks in comparison. Sure there's many cheaper places to live in the country, but they are cheap for a reason.
Do you have any stats to support your viewpoint? And since we both know that answer is "no", I'll chalk it up to purely a subjective opinion.

I happen to think retirement has some bearing on quality of life also. So does living in a beautiful and spacious house instead of a box. I always find it ironic how people can spend 80-85% of their lives at work or home and yet downgrade the importance of a dwelling and commutes to work in massive traffic. Or having to skimp in their retirement years rather than travel and really enjoy life with the money people are able to save in lower cost of living areas.

If money isn't a concern, than I think people should live wherever they like best. But I'll never be one to casually brush aside financial security for theme parks and beaches I would never go to (haven't been to one in over a decade). The diversity thing is hogwash. I know San Francisco is predominately White and Asian. There are also plenty of scenic areas all over the country (you really should get out more). Of course, it's hard to recognize these things when one has a "holier than thou" attitude in respect to where they live.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 06-24-2018 at 06:49 AM..

Old 06-24-2018, 09:12 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Do you have any stats to support your viewpoint? And since we both know that answer is "no", I'll chalk it up to purely a subjective opinion.

I happen to think retirement has some bearing on quality of life also. So does living in a beautiful and spacious house instead of a box. I always find it ironic how people can spend 80-85% of their lives at work or home and yet downgrade the importance of a dwelling and commutes to work in massive traffic. Or having to skimp in their retirement years rather than travel and really enjoy life with the money people are able to save in lower cost of living areas.

If money isn't a concern, than I think people should live wherever they like best. But I'll never be one to casually brush aside financial security for theme parks and beaches I would never go to (haven't been to one in over a decade). The diversity thing is hogwash. I know San Francisco is predominately White and Asian. There are also plenty of scenic areas all over the country (you really should get out more). Of course, it's hard to recognize these things when one has a "holier than thou" attitude in respect to where they live.
Those posters are obviously young and in stupid party mode. Hopefully someday they'll see the light and get smart. And not pick a place to live because it has 6 flags magic mountain

Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 AM

160 posts, read 155,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Oh? I moved to LA from Phoenix and in my first apartment there it took me 45 minutes to drive 6 miles to work (mostly freeway). In my last apartment there, about 20 minutes to drive 2 miles (streets only). While I'm not familiar with Florida, I'm familiar with Arizona and Texas, and will gladly take the "overcrowding" in LA compared to whatever the hell you want to call it in those two states; both are like sprawling trailer parks. I felt like Phoenix/Arizona is a place you go to die, when you've given up on trying and just want to throw away the rest of your life in bland, cheap tract housing in an endless sea of super suburb. In my experience, in AZ and TX you'll also hear a lot of asinine justification as to why they need to remind themselves why they settle to live there ("at least I can buy a big house," "it's a dry heat," "this is real America," etc.) As I always say, you can't go to the bowels of America and not expect to be mired in s***.

There is TONS of traffic in Florida, Texas, and Arizona......Phoenix, Dallas, Miami, Tampa, Houston......all have traffic at least as bad or worst than the places people are trying to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California