Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 09:10 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times

Advertisements

Yep I laugh every day at the cost of living in CA and the congestion, traffic, high gas cost, exorbitant fees, State income tax and poor governance. Glad you agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 09:46 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post

Here we go wit the infamous "No Income Tax" Line, well not sure how much it matters when you will be paying it elsewhere in high property taxes, car, homeowners and health insurance, on top of housing to buy or rent which is very expensive.

Uh, you do know there is a calculation that is taken every year that shows overall tax burden right which includes all SALT, gas taxes, cell phone taxes, food taxes, etc?

Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

Uh, you do know there is a calculation that is taken every year that shows overall tax burden right which includes all SALT, gas taxes, cell phone taxes, food taxes, etc?

You will not make people happy doing this.

Note Fees are higher and more of them than in most areas as well.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You will not make people happy doing this.

Note Fees are higher and more of them than in most areas as well.
The truth rarely makes everyone happy.

The TRUTH in this case is that the vast majority of people only think of property tax, and income tax when considering tax burden. Everything else they consider "little" or "arbitrary". But the final aggregated costs of such "other" taxes is not arbitrary at all.

Paying 50 cents more per gallon, paying a utility rate that is 300% higher than the neighboring state, paying 200% for a carbonated beverage, a local minimum wage (which acts effectively as a tax because it socializes its costs) or even paying 10 cents for a plastic bag ALL adds up. These are forms of taxation that 99% of people simply ignore or don't consider in their tax burden calculation.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:18 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,587 times
Yes, people are leaving. But people are moving in, too, and when I was in Sacramento last Sept I noticed the growth in the mere year since I was there.

So people ARE making big $$$ elsewhere besides just in California.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:19 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,697,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
FL is not cheap living in So FL, but in general the State is better from a COL standpoint that CA. There are places in to live in CA that are less expensive than the coast, but a LOT longer drive than in FL to the places people want to visit and enjoy.
Other than a thin strip of sand where it's tolerably cool for 6 months out of the year, where do people want to "drive to and enjoy" in Florida?

Honest question. When I lived there, I didn't leave the barrier islands from April through October (unless chased off by a hurricane). Like not even to cross the river to hit up WalMart. My impression of Florida inland from the beach was that it was nothing but swamp, skeeters, and sweat.

I guess I went to Bithlo for the demolition derby, but that was at night, and doused in DEET and properly boozed up to make it tolerable.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Other than a thin strip of sand where it's tolerably cool for 6 months out of the year, where do people want to "drive to and enjoy" in Florida?

Honest question. When I lived there, I didn't leave the barrier islands from April through October (unless chased off by a hurricane). Like not even to cross the river to hit up WalMart. My impression of Florida inland from the beach was that it was nothing but swamp, skeeters, and sweat.

I guess I went to Bithlo for the demolition derby, but that was at night, and doused in DEET and properly boozed up to make it tolerable.
I agree, I like Miami (tolerably like), but the rest of Florida is butt.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

In So Fl yes a pain, further North much better. Remember more people move to FL than out and more people move out of CA than move in, from other States.

The humidity is not my favorite climate "gift", but my lips, skin and throat love it and hated the low humidity in SoCal.

To each their own, but bad mouthing a whole State, CA, Fl, TX, KS, etc shows either ignorance, arrogance or stupidity.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I agree, I like Miami (tolerably like), but the rest of Florida is butt.
Not where I live. Very much like Newport Beach in the 60's and 70's but warmer water.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:55 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I am one of these people who left the state. I loved it out there but I couldn't reasonably afford my home.

So how are you doing 49erfan , I wasn't aware that you left us in the Golden State of California , to move on to bigger and better things. I was going to leave the state of California when I retired , and guess what II retired in March 2018 , and is rethinking my decision to leave the state , well maybe 2020 or 2030.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California