U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2018, 12:28 PM
 
237 posts, read 361,342 times
Reputation: 567

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
There are always trade-offs wherever you live. Just because you choose Trade-off List A, doesn't meant the person who chooses Trade-off List B is dumber than you.

A little different point of view.

My wife and I left SoCal 25 years ago. Moved to Texas for a cheaper lifestyle. We have regretted it ever since. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss SoCal. Why? Well there are the hills, mountains, beach and proper desert. To be sure when compared to flat ass Texas we do miss all of it. But that is not the main reason. It’s the weather. Big Time. Until you live in Texas weather, it is really hard to describe to anyone that only knows California weather. Impossible I would say. Folks, it’s awful. Here are just a few reasons why it’s so bad.

-Humidity. It’s just terrible even in Dallas. In Houston the sickening humidity is epic.
-Rain. In Houston we averaged over 60 inches of rain per year. In DFW 45 inches. In 2015 we had 80 inches. It never stopped raining for 12 months.
-Floods and flood insurance. Texas floods..bigly. Why? FLAT. If you live in a flood zone, be prepared to pay $400-2000 extra per year for the privilege of living here. It’s mandatory if you have a mortgage.
-Lightning. In north Texas its legendary. My house was hit by lightning the first year we moved to DFW causing $10k in electronics damage.
-Hail. My car was it by Softball size hail in Rockwall 3 years ago. $3500 in damage.
-Tornados. A co-worker lost his entire house in the Rowlett (just south of Dallas) tornado 3 years ago.
-Hurricanes. We had to evacuate 3x in 12 years from Houston and our house was hit by one hurricane.

-Property taxes. My simple $350k house as of 2018 now costs my $9000/year in Property taxes. It’s horrible.

Bugs. With all the rain and humidity it is a bug freak show here. Many nights you can’t go outside without being eaten alive. I know California has some mosquitoes but I have lived both places. Here they will literally change your plans because they are so thick.

I’m not trying to be a downer here about moving out of California. I am trying to provide some context having lived in both places.

Good luck to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2018, 01:13 PM
 
Location: San Diego
37,370 posts, read 33,582,907 times
Reputation: 21723
If we want to talk the worst California has been plagued with wild fires and we all know someone who was burnt out. Then there's the drought. Just recently 20 people died in mudslides in burn areas from so much rain. We've had such a drought for so long govt agencies have had to change policies because of it.


https://abcnews.go.com/US/mudslides-...ry?id=53929805
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 02:13 PM
 
1,204 posts, read 499,384 times
Reputation: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If we want to talk the worst California has been plagued with wild fires and we all know someone who was burnt out. Then there's the drought. Just recently 20 people died in mudslides in burn areas from so much rain. We've had such a drought for so long govt agencies have had to change policies because of it.


https://abcnews.go.com/US/mudslides-...ry?id=53929805
Not to mention if we're going to talk about property taxes in Texas, we need to talk about state taxes in CA since Texas doesn't have any. There's no way you're going to do better on that equation in CA. And let's also be fair when we talk about property tax. You can get a beautiful home in many parts of Texas for $300k. Your property tax, depending on municipality can range from 2.4% to 3%. So that's taxes of $7200 to $9k. That same house would be be $800k to $1.3 million depending on which metropolitan area you live in CA (SD, LA, SF). Do the math. At 1%, you're at $8k to $13k. Then add state taxes which probably will run you from $6k-9k on a typical Middle Class family. We really need to be comparing apples to apples here. As for weather, I'd say it depends on where you live. I'd definitely give the nod to SD and LA, but no way to San Francisco. That's personal preference. Most people I know would take 3-4 months of fairly oppressive heat and 7-8 months of excellent weather over the cold in San Francisco. I know I prefer warmer weather the older I get. I'll take 75-85 any day over 55-60.

P.S. The odds of getting of someone's house being hit by lightning are ridiculously high (like 1 in 200). I also didn't hear any mention of earthquakes, which cause much more damage.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 05-04-2018 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA, USA 92509
1,377 posts, read 1,178,202 times
Reputation: 687
Well, I mean, there is always certain places in CA that are still "relatively affordable," such as Needles, Cabazon, Whitewater, Blythe, Barstow (and surrounding towns), the towns around the Salton Sea, parts of the Coachella and Imperial Valleys, numerous parts of the Central Valley, and numerous parts of the far North State (Alturas, Oroville, Weaverville, Red Bluff, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 02:35 PM
 
2,690 posts, read 4,966,518 times
Reputation: 3537
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Most people I know would take 3-4 months of fairly oppressive heat and 7-8 months of excellent weather over the cold in San Francisco. I know I prefer warmer weather the older I get. I'll take 75-85 any day over 55-60.

P.S. I also didn't hear any mention of earthquakes.
SF never gets cold. It has nearly perfect weather for 10 months of the year but Sept and parts of October get too hot. Cold weather is around 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Minneapolis gets cold.

The older I get the less tolerance I have for heat. 55 feels perfect and 75 feels too hot. I definitely prefer a nice crisp 30 degree day to burning up in 80+ degree weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 02:55 PM
 
1,204 posts, read 499,384 times
Reputation: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
SF never gets cold. It has nearly perfect weather for 10 months of the year but Sept and parts of October get too hot. Cold weather is around 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Minneapolis gets cold.

The older I get the less tolerance I have for heat. 55 feels perfect and 75 feels too hot. I definitely prefer a nice crisp 30 degree day to burning up in 80+ degree weather.
Personal preference. Hard for me to imagine anyone thinking 75 is hot. That's perfect as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Oroville, California
3,328 posts, read 4,931,260 times
Reputation: 6101
Inland California isn't that bad cost-wise and its close enough (two to three hours) for weekend trips to the coast whenever you want them. It may be hotter than the coast but its climate is way better than almost anywhere east of the Rockies. Relatively mild winters and dry heat in the summer that doesn't approach true desert heat. Plus there are always mountain communities in the Sierra if that's not your thing. No, you don't HAVE to move to Texas (or wherever) to get a lower cost of living.

I lived in Monterey and Salinas for over ten years and knew that I would never be able to afford a home on one salary. Ten years ago I moved to Oroville (where I have family) and in 2010 I was able to pay cash for a 3/2 home with the money I had been saving for a down payment on a home over on the coast. I can still get to San Francisco in three hours (or Tahoe for that matter). You just move to a place where the C.O.L. better fits your income, but that doesn't have to be half way across the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 04:14 PM
 
18,181 posts, read 11,404,657 times
Reputation: 9159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
A little different point of view.

My wife and I left SoCal 25 years ago. Moved to Texas for a cheaper lifestyle. We have regretted it ever since. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss SoCal. Why? Well there are the hills, mountains, beach and proper desert. To be sure when compared to flat ass Texas we do miss all of it. But that is not the main reason. It’s the weather. Big Time. Until you live in Texas weather, it is really hard to describe to anyone that only knows California weather. Impossible I would say. Folks, it’s awful. Here are just a few reasons why it’s so bad.

-Humidity. It’s just terrible even in Dallas. In Houston the sickening humidity is epic.
-Rain. In Houston we averaged over 60 inches of rain per year. In DFW 45 inches. In 2015 we had 80 inches. It never stopped raining for 12 months.
-Floods and flood insurance. Texas floods..bigly. Why? FLAT. If you live in a flood zone, be prepared to pay $400-2000 extra per year for the privilege of living here. It’s mandatory if you have a mortgage.
-Lightning. In north Texas its legendary. My house was hit by lightning the first year we moved to DFW causing $10k in electronics damage.
-Hail. My car was it by Softball size hail in Rockwall 3 years ago. $3500 in damage.
-Tornados. A co-worker lost his entire house in the Rowlett (just south of Dallas) tornado 3 years ago.
-Hurricanes. We had to evacuate 3x in 12 years from Houston and our house was hit by one hurricane.

-Property taxes. My simple $350k house as of 2018 now costs my $9000/year in Property taxes. It’s horrible.

Bugs. With all the rain and humidity it is a bug freak show here. Many nights you can’t go outside without being eaten alive. I know California has some mosquitoes but I have lived both places. Here they will literally change your plans because they are so thick.

I’m not trying to be a downer here about moving out of California. I am trying to provide some context having lived in both places.

Good luck to all.
I lived in TX for 5 years and the weather was not a big deal unless you lived in West TX , kinda like living in Barstow, CA.

My house on 3.5 acres, large pool, 1500 sq ft barn and 20 minutes from Dallas was bought at $115,000.00 and the taxes were ... the same as I paid in CA for a tract home on a small lot. Had hail one year and yes needed a new roof and insurance paid for it, so no big deal. Don't forget all the homes lost in CA to fires, mud slides and more just last year. If you pick a bad place, like El Paso, or even Houston, OK not as nice for sure. But TX is far bigger than CA and has a great deal of variation and .... no State Income Tax which usually more than balances property tax and on a home that is less expensive than a comparable one in CA in any event. Please where in a decent area of CA can you buy a home for $350,000.00???? Then the cost of gas is far less than in CA so you gain there.

Now that said I prefer SoCal over TX in many ways, but the COL in CA is bad by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 04:15 PM
DKM
 
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
3,422 posts, read 1,240,480 times
Reputation: 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Not to mention if we're going to talk about property taxes in Texas, we need to talk about state taxes in CA since Texas doesn't have any. There's no way you're going to do better on that equation in CA. And let's also be fair when we talk about property tax. You can get a beautiful home in many parts of Texas for $300k. Your property tax, depending on municipality can range from 2.4% to 3%. So that's taxes of $7200 to $9k. That same house would be be $800k to $1.3 million depending on which metropolitan area you live in CA (SD, LA, SF). Do the math. At 1%, you're at $8k to $13k. Then add state taxes which probably will run you from $6k-9k on a typical Middle Class family. We really need to be comparing apples to apples here.
Income taxes of 6 to 9k on a family in California means an income approaching 200k. not middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
20,175 posts, read 7,631,212 times
Reputation: 6268
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I lived in TX for 5 years and the weather was not a big deal unless you lived in West TX , kinda like living in Barstow, CA.

My house on 3.5 acres, large pool, 1500 sq ft barn and 20 minutes from Dallas was bought at $115,000.00 and the taxes were ... the same as I paid in CA for a tract home on a small lot. Had hail one year and yes needed a new roof and insurance paid for it, so no big deal. Don't forget all the homes lost in CA to fires, mud slides and more just last year. If you pick a bad place, like El Paso, or even Houston, OK not as nice for sure. But TX is far bigger than CA and has a great deal of variation and .... no State Income Tax which usually more than balances property tax and on a home that is less expensive than a comparable one in CA in any event. Please where in a decent area of CA can you buy a home for $350,000.00???? Then the cost of gas is far less than in CA so you gain there.

Now that said I prefer SoCal over TX in many ways, but the COL in CA is bad by comparison.
Solvang/Buellton area (though that is the low end)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top