Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 11:23 AM

925 posts, read 1,065,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Cost of Living is unbelievably low. People are friendly. I've never seen anyone call a tent home (not to mention human feces on the sidewalk) We still respect the police and we have no state income tax. We also still have a say in our election process as we are not overrun with illegals

You should visit sometime

No need to get jealous. California is cool in its on way
Get real. Memphis and Nashville have more than their fare share of people living on the street. I can’t believe people seem to think of problems as only on CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 01:02 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is a feel good figure. "Look at me, I live in CA with the 5th largest economy in the world". Mind you it does not make them any better off, just emotionally high. CA as a geographic area is fantastic, as to QOL and COL, be rich or struggle.
Being humans having an emotional appreciation for where you live does add to a much happier life.

No matter what situation you find yourself in you can literally just walk outside to feel better.

To outsiders in cheaper parts of the country the COL is a big turn off, but to many people that live here it's just more motivation to work harder, and it's a constant reminder that in order to get what you want you have to work hard for it!!

it's also refreshing knowing that it doesn't get more expensive than this so when I move I'll be ore immune to higher prices elsewhere.

California has 25 million less people, and still has a larger gdp that's insane!! California The Great!!!

Old 05-06-2018, 01:08 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Get real. Memphis and Nashville have more than their fare share of people living on the street. I can’t believe people seem to think of problems as only on CA.
if I was homeless i would rather live I California too. lol

I don't know why people don't realize that the reasons some of these places don't have huge homeless populations is because even the homeless don't want to live there.

California is literally the best place to be homeless in this country.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:12 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
California's achievement is amazing despite the problems we do face here,and yup on a yearly basis their is always an article about California's demise

California is a strong state....Even though the haters/bashers attack it,this state will continue to keep moving forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
High taxes, too many laws, higher minimum wage, Democrats, etc, etc. We've heard it all on this forum. The gloom-and-doom club forecasting the demise of California due to a myriad of causes.

Oh well, sorry to disappoint, but apparently someone is doing something right.

Congrats to a great state!

California Surpasses U.K. to Claim World’s 5th Largest Economy | KTLA

Old 05-06-2018, 04:16 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
In my entire life I've never seen anyone living in a tent on the side of the road. Especially camped out in front of someone's home. That wouldn't last 30 minutes in Tennessee

We do have homeless, but we don't consider them sacred animals like y'all do

[]

Old 05-06-2018, 05:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Lol, y'all can keep your blue state. Never again.

I love living in a state that's 48/50 in total tax burden on top of an already low COL, not to mention you don't have to be rich to own a (nice) home.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:42 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Blah, blah, blah.

If California's economy does well, it's people, in general do well. Despite the whining and complaining over personal trivial issues, the fact remains that there is some degree of prosperity here.

Homelessness exists all over this country, it is not a unique California, or Los Angeles problem.

As has been repeatedly demonstrated and proven, Red states use the greatest amount of Federal social service monies.

A good measure of economic problems in a state is income inequality, as demonstrated by the Gini coefficient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ni_coefficient

Surprise, surprise: While the usual suspects like California and New York are on the list, so are many of the "lovely" Southern states used as examples in this thread and forum as economic utopias. (Don't forget to check out where Tennesse is on the list.)

Once in a while, let's allow some facts to creep in here.

I get it, many of you hate California and Los Angeles. What I don't get, is why so many of those folks still live here. I hated New York. I moved. Now, I like where I live. It's real easy. I don't waste my time on the New York forum complaining about a place I don't live in.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
In my entire life I've never seen anyone living in a tent on the side of the road. Especially camped out in front of someone's home. That wouldn't last 30 minutes in Tennessee

We do have homeless, but we don't consider them sacred animals like y'all do

[]
Please. I grew up in that part of the world. There are places in the Kentucky and Tennessee hill country where a tent along side the freeway would be a major improvement. And defecating in the woods in that part of the world is a well established custom. The upper class dig a hole and cover it over...the lower class not so much.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:51 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Please. I grew up in that part of the world. There are places in the Kentucky and Tennessee hill country where a tent along side the freeway would be a major improvement. And defecating in the woods in that part of the world is a well established custom. The upper class dig a hole and cover it over...the lower class not so much.
Your equally comparing pooping in a hole in the forest to pooping on the sidewalk in a city???? I can't...

Old 05-06-2018, 09:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Your equally comparing pooping in a hole in the forest to pooping on the sidewalk in a city???? I can't...
Nope. Just pointing out that all the poop in Tennessee does not go down the toilet. I found San Francisco unacceptable 20 years ago. I expect it has gotten worse. Then again I left the KY/TN area 60 years ago and have set foot in the two states only once since. Again appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California