Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,372 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I come across these page and read many good information about cities in California.

I´m Matthias from Germany. My girlfriend want to travel through California. She is really anxious. So she feels a bit uncomfortable.

I really love USA and until now I visit it twice but only the east coast.

Please, can you say me sth. about our waypoints. (How safe the place is?)

1. Night: Cedar Lodge in El Portal near the Yosemite Park
2. Night: Holiday Inn in Visalia
3/4. Night: Luxor in Las Vegas (I think it´s safe)
5. Night: Yavapai Lodge East near Grand Canyon
6/7.Night: Best Western Hollywood Hills Hotel in Hollywood 6141 FranklinAve 8. Night: Best Western Shore Cliff Lodge in Pismo Beach
8/9/10 Night: Best Western Americania in San Francisco in South of the Market Street

Thank you very much.

Matthias
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
most of them should be good enough, but i dont know too much about some of those areas. generally though the best westerns are at least in decent enough areas.

the Luxor is fine. it's on the las vegas strip, which is the safe touristy area and the Luxor has a nice nightlife itself

Old 03-27-2008, 04:10 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias64 View Post
Hello,

I come across these page and read many good information about cities in California.

I´m Matthias from Germany. My girlfriend want to travel through California. She is really anxious. So she feels a bit uncomfortable.

Please, can you say me sth. about our waypoints. (How safe the place is?)

1. Night: Cedar Lodge in El Portal near the Yosemite Park
2. Night: Holiday Inn in Visalia
3/4. Night: Luxor in Las Vegas (I think it´s safe)
5. Night: Yavapai Lodge East near Grand Canyon
6/7.Night: Best Western Hollywood Hills Hotel in Hollywood 6141 FranklinAve 8. Night: Best Western Shore Cliff Lodge in Pismo Beach
8/9/10 Night: Best Western Americania in San Francisco in South of the Market Street

Thank you very much.

Matthias
You might want to consider the Curry Village cabins when you go to Yosemite. That's where i stay if i'm not camping.
You'll be right in the heart of the valley, will be able to walk everywhere and the cabins are relatively inexpensive and you'll feel safe there as well.
If you could afford it the Ahwahnee is an incredibly beautiful lodge. Even if you can't stay there, it's worth walking over there just to see it.

Yosemite Accommodations - Accommodation in Yosemite : Yosemite Park

When i travel, i always stay at the Holiday Inn Express. They are all over the United States. There are Holiday Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses. I recommend the Holiday Inn Express if it's in the right location. They are similar to Best Westerns in terms of price but they tend to be newer and are usually kept up better than the Best Westerns and are just a bit nicer. But the Best Westerns are fine too so if you can't change your reservations or if the location of the Holiday Inn Expresses don't suit you, don't worry about it.
Happy Trails

Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I know you will have a wonderful time...

Just remember the usual tourist/travel stuff. It's what I do when I travel in Italy...

Do not leave any valuables in plain sight no matter where you are... I would hate for your Holiday to be ruined by someone breaking into your rental car... Also, watch your baggage at the Airport.

Don't keep all your cash in one place... in fact... I advise everyone from Europe to bring a Credit Card and to use it. You can use a credit card just about everywhere in the States... unlike Europe.

Have a great time and enjoy your visit...

Now is the perfect time for anyone with Euro's to make a Holiday in the States... Everything you see will be cheaper than home... including gas for your rental car!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
I can only speak to your Yosemite choice and it's just fine.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:12 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
You are going to be busy with that schedule!

Enjoy it, you should be fine!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
All those hotels & the areas are perfectly safe & really fun.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,372 times
Firstly thank you for all the answers.

Now, i´m really looking forward to our trip.

And yes, we are going to be busy :-)
But USA is so amazing.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:22 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
I'm no expert on this area, and perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the area in San Francisco, South of Market Street (also called "SoMa") is a bit on the grittier side. Just to make sure about this, you may want to post a specific question in the San Francisco forum about that particular area and hotel. There are probably locals on the San Francisco forum who haven't seen your question who could give you more help.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:56 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias64 View Post
The various regions of the U.S. can differ quite a lot from each other in many ways. I believe you will find that the west coast is a lot different than the east coast both socially and landscape wise. CA, OR, WA and BC, Canada are my favorite areas in all of North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California