Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 11:07 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone has purchased land in an area they liked with the intent to build a home on it? This is something which has interested me and I know at least one person who did this. Though he built his own custom home in HI. I'm not sure if any of you have checked the nicer lots for sale. Of course one must consider proper zoning, water rights, required permits, etc... in the area selected. Some land is also further along than others in terms of access to utilities such as power and water vs further out.

I know the most difficult part in CA would be associated with the high cost of building here both in terms of labor and materials. Its crazy how much cheaper homes are built for in other states. Maybe some kind of prefab home could be more cost effective, perhaps? Anyone here bought land with the intent to build? Maybe placed an RV/trailer on it while building?

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 12:15 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
So, does this line of inquiry mean you're not moving to WA?

Old 05-13-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So, does this line of inquiry mean you're not moving to WA?
No, I'm just exploring the options in CA and the PNW. I've been looking at land in a variety nicer locations. If one could manage to get a house built/assembled there they could be really awesome spots.

I'm also researching prefabs and there are some really good looking ones out there. Here are some that can be assembled in three days.

https://inhabitat.com/12-gorgeous-pr...-days-or-less/

A few more nicer ones: https://www.sunset.com/home/architecture-design/prefab-homes#prefab-homes_8

Derek

Old 05-13-2018, 01:10 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
It's been many years, but I bought land in WA and put in utilities - electricity, road, septic, a well. I lived in a trailer during this, and planned on building a home, but ended up selling the property and moving back to CA.

Pre-fab homes are much cheaper than stick-built. You can often finance the land and a manufactured home, but sometimes they want you to buy the land first, and have some equity in the land.

If you buy raw land, the most expensive things you'll have to consider are putting in utilities and roads. If you have to put in a well, you want to talk to well-drillers about how deep wells need to be in that area, and the cost for that. Also, you'll need a pump that can pull water up from that depth, which can be really pricey, and you'll have to house the pump - usually in a well house, that you'll need to insulate from the weather, if you're somewhere cold, so your pump/pipes don't freeze.

The next most expensive thing (and can be the most expensive thing, depending) is building permits.

You'll also have to be able to wait for these things to be done, which will easily take twice as long as your worst case estimate.

You can usually live in temporary housing for a certain period of time on your land, though, while you're getting things done.

Some places are easier to build in than others, for sure. I'd heard that OK was the most lenient place to build unconventional homes on your property, but I don't have details on that. But, not every place will allow you to build a home out of hay bales that are stucco'd or a home made out of mortared wine bottles or whatever.

If you have the time, the personality for it, and the money to survive until it all gets accomplished, it can be fun. I bought 2 acres in WA and cut down some trees to pay for the well, hauled water in a big tank on a trailer behind an old Toyota Corona until the well driller could come, found local people to put in a road and septic, dug the hole for the electric pole myself, paid an electrician to hook it up. Traded labor to get a fence put up for my pigs and horse. Tore down a shed someone wanted off their property, to use to put up a shed on my own property. Got free roofing for the shed from a farmer who didn't need it anymore. All while living in an Airstream trailer on the land.

Not to say it was always wonderful, but it was a decent adventure for me. And I did make a profit on the land when I sold it.

You just need to check into building codes and the costs of any permits you might encounter.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It's been many years, but I bought land in WA and put in utilities - electricity, road, septic, a well. I lived in a trailer during this, and planned on building a home, but ended up selling the property and moving back to CA.

Pre-fab homes are much cheaper than stick-built. You can often finance the land and a manufactured home, but sometimes they want you to buy the land first, and have some equity in the land.

If you buy raw land, the most expensive things you'll have to consider are putting in utilities and roads. If you have to put in a well, you want to talk to well-drillers about how deep wells need to be in that area, and the cost for that. Also, you'll need a pump that can pull water up from that depth, which can be really pricey, and you'll have to house the pump - usually in a well house, that you'll need to insulate from the weather, if you're somewhere cold, so your pump/pipes don't freeze.

The next most expensive thing (and can be the most expensive thing, depending) is building permits.

You'll also have to be able to wait for these things to be done, which will easily take twice as long as your worst case estimate.

You can usually live in temporary housing for a certain period of time on your land, though, while you're getting things done.

Some places are easier to build in than others, for sure. I'd heard that OK was the most lenient place to build unconventional homes on your property, but I don't have details on that. But, not every place will allow you to build a home out of hay bales that are stucco'd or a home made out of mortared wine bottles or whatever.

If you have the time, the personality for it, and the money to survive until it all gets accomplished, it can be fun. I bought 2 acres in WA and cut down some trees to pay for the well, hauled water in a big tank on a trailer behind an old Toyota Corona until the well driller could come, found local people to put in a road and septic, dug the hole for the electric pole myself, paid an electrician to hook it up. Traded labor to get a fence put up for my pigs and horse. Tore down a shed someone wanted off their property, to use to put up a shed on my own property. Got free roofing for the shed from a farmer who didn't need it anymore. All while living in an Airstream trailer on the land.

Not to say it was always wonderful, but it was a decent adventure for me. And I did make a profit on the land when I sold it.

You just need to check into building codes and the costs of any permits you might encounter.
Wow, NoMoreSnow!!! I had no idea you had that kind of a go for it attitude and that much self-determination. It sounds like quite an adventure indeed. I'm impressed.

I can see how it could taking longer than expected. The Airstream probably wasn't such a bad place to stay while doing the work.

Derek

Old 05-13-2018, 01:53 AM

665 posts, read 613,398 times
It all depends on where you want to build. Some jurisdictions (cities and counties in CA) are easier to build and develop than others. Take your time and call around before you buy somewhere where it's standard practice to stonewall private development of homes and the like.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
It all depends on where you want to build. Some jurisdictions (cities and counties in CA) are easier to build and develop than others. Take your time and call around before you buy somewhere where it's standard practice to stonewall private development of homes and the like.
Yes, I could imagine this being much tougher in certain areas like Carmel or Pebble Beach vs. unincorporated parts of Monterey or Santa Cruz Counties where I've looked so far. Then other states may be even easier when it comes to getting building permits, etc... which I've heard can get very expensive.

You can also buy developed lots that are closer to being fully ready to build on which takes out some of those other time/risk factors.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-13-2018 at 02:05 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 02:16 AM

665 posts, read 613,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, I could imagine this being much tougher in certain areas like Carmel or Pebble Beach vs. unincorporated parts of Monterey or Santa Cruz Counties where I've looked so far. Then other states may be even easier when it comes to getting building permits, etc... which I've heard can get very expensive.

Derek
From my research and prior knowledge, depending on where you want to build in California, the cities can have more restrictions but allow for more density because their governance is closer than the counties to address problems and complaints (city councils vs board of supervisors). They may matter to you or not, since you're probably looking to build a private, custom home for yourself and you family. Typically, County governance is not set up for a quick response like City governance. County standards are more relaxed than City standards because it serves a larger unless community standards are adopted in certain communities.

Some of the benefits of living in unincorporated areas in California is the fact that property taxes are lower and property transfer taxes than cities. So if you going to live in an unincorporated area do your research about that area and how conditions are and how complaints are dealt with. Right now, I live in the unincorporated area. The only problem is that it's further away from shopping and retail outlets. Other than that, it's good for me.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Wow, NoMoreSnow!!! I had no idea you had that kind of a go for it attitude and that much self-determination. It sounds like quite an adventure indeed. I'm impressed.

I can see how it could taking longer than expected. The Airstream probably wasn't such a bad place to stay while doing the work.

Derek
Thanks lol. Well, there were upsides and downsides. The good news about lots of snow, is that snow will insulate your Airstream trailer, like a little igloo. So, the more snow, the warmer it would stay inside.

The major down side was that the condensation inside was awful, so anything stored into the storage cubbies of the Airstream trailer, was subject to mold or mildew (not sure which is which). I had some favorite leather cowboy boots that were wrecked because they were stored in a cubby, and they ended up moldering and weren't salvagable.

The other down side for me, was mice. Mice could get into the trailer, and they'd make nests in drawers, etc. They were a constant challenge.

The county that my property was in in WA, actually wanted more camp sites for tourists. So, I had plans drawn for my 2 acre place to become a small campground with a home for me on it. The county streamlined those plans for me. When I sold the place, I also sold the engineer's drawings of how to incorporate camp sites, etc., on that property.

These are the kinds of things you should look for when looking at places to buy. Call the building or planning commissions or departments, and ask them if there are any incentives for camp grounds or B&Bs, etc. You may be able to get a better deal on approvals, and find a side business at the same time.

I wish you and your family the very best life has to offer.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:55 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times
Quote:
No, I'm just exploring the options in CA and the PNW. I've been looking at land in a variety nicer locations. If one could manage to get a house built/assembled there they could be really awesome spots.

I'm also researching prefabs and there are some really good looking ones out there. Here are some that can be assembled in three days.

https://inhabitat.com/12-gorgeous-pr...-days-or-less/

A few more nicer ones: https://www.sunset.com/home/architecture-design/prefab-homes#prefab-homes_8

Derek
Thanks for this thread and for these links. At some point I'll inherit some land and I've been exploring options for building on it. Prefabs really interest me right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California