U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 12:44 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,926,244 times

Advertisements

San Luis Obispo County is the nicest one on the entire coast in my opinion. Its like a little remnant of what coastal California used to be like. Better get in on it before its ruined too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 02:00 PM

9,809 posts, read 8,106,659 times
SLO is gorgeous in terms of natural beauty but a bit too far from civilization to be a realistic destination for many people. Also, the beach areas in some of the cities e.g. Morro Bay and most points south, feels a bit gritty and a bit uninspiring (unless you are driving in from the Central Valley and are anxious to cool off). There is a definate rural/rancher/blue collar feel that pervades the atmosphere -- not all bad mind you, just an observation. It can feel like Oceanside/Vista and even Oxnard.

(Guadalupe and Santa Maria are almost entirely agricultural and rural/suburban and not very inspiring at all.)

In my opinion, the northern portions of SLO are best. In addition, the inland ranches are also nice.

There is also the San Andreas fault which is very close by...

Santa Barbara is simply closer to civilization and is equally gorgeous.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 05-20-2018 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-20-2018, 03:41 PM

8,774 posts, read 9,561,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Living in rural CA, I have to laugh when people refer to towns the size of SB or SLO as "secluded".
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
SLO is gorgeous in terms of natural beauty but a bit too far from civilization to be a realistic destination for many people.
Santa Barbara is simply closer to civilization and is equally gorgeous.
The population of SLO county is nearly 300,000. I guess for some the thinking is you need to be in an area with 6,000,000 to be in civilization or not secluded.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:55 PM

5,811 posts, read 12,738,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The population of SLO county is nearly 300,000. I guess for some the thinking is you need to be in an area with 6,000,000 to be in civilization or not secluded.
For me there are plenty of people in that region. The main trade-off for us would be the drive to major airports. That said, one must consider that there are trade-offs *everywhere* one lives. And SLO has so many other positives to outweigh the negatives if someone can find work and build a life there. I would pick it over SB. Personally, we like Monterey more. But SLO housing is slightly more affordable especially in the outskirt communities like Atascadero.

The OP said he wanted a semi-rural area which there seems to a lot of in both Northern SB county as well SLO county.

The beautiful rural rolling hills of northern SB county around Los Olivos / Solvang are really nice. Though that area seems more secluded than SLO. In the spring after rains its really amazing.

SLO gets really colorful as well.

Derek

Old 05-20-2018, 05:23 PM

9,809 posts, read 8,106,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
For me there are plenty of people in that region. The main trade-off for us would be the drive to major airports. That said, one must consider that there are trade-offs *everywhere* one lives. And SLO has so many other positives to outweigh the negatives if someone can find work and build a life there. I would pick it over SB. Personally, we like Monterey more. But SLO housing is slightly more affordable especially in the outskirt communities like Atascadero.

The OP said he wanted a semi-rural area which there seems to a lot of in both Northern SB county as well SLO county.

The beautiful rural rolling hills of northern SB county around Los Olivos / Solvang are really nice. Though that area seems more secluded than SLO. In the spring after rains its really amazing.

SLO gets really colorful as well.

Derek
Airports and wide availability of specilized medical care are my two big issues. There are "enough" people in SLO, but it is lacking in having the variety of restaurants, venues/shows, etc. The first two are the big ones with the others being secondary.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 AM

2,830 posts, read 1,993,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
what is the worst thing about living in this Zone?

Thanks!!
The worst thing, IMO, is that everyone else likes it too.

But that's just me.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:08 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,211,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
The worst thing, IMO, is that everyone else likes it too.

But that's just me.
IMO too. I first moved to Shell Beach in '78. It had less than half the current population. Same for SLO and S.B. counties. Place is loved to death now.
Only reason I'm here is wife loves the place. For me no mortgage, rental income and happy wife happy something. I'm a triple dipper pensioner, life is good. Plus I travel, a lot LOL. Not beating my chest just saying.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 PM

2,872 posts, read 10,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Clearly this area has some of the best weather in the nation... besides the obvious (costs of living)...
Wildfires for me is the worst. Even if you're not directly threatened by the flames themselves, the air quality becomes atrocious. If it's also hot weather, and you live near the coast without air conditioning, it's doubly unbearable. Mudslides is a close second, but they tend to be more local in their occurrence. Wildfires and the smoke from them affect huge swaths of the area.

Actually, on second thought about mudslides, perhaps flooding is a bigger negative.

Other than those things, SB-SLO region is nice.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:50 AM

798 posts, read 410,529 times
Wow thanks for the detailed and well-thought-out replies is there any area in that zone that is a little more affordable for the rule type of living??? Also not to keep harping but any particular spot that is extremely prone to natural disaster? In South Florida you can look for a particular species of tree in areas that are prone to flooding... I am a science professional but I know nothing about that area so I'm always looking for scientific indications of problems. I noticed affordable land is often times on a severe grade does this make it unbuildable do to codes?

Old 05-31-2018, 01:46 PM

2,038 posts, read 2,076,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I think both SLO and SB are great small to mid-sized towns. I personally prefer SB as it has a little more to offer, but SLO has a very nice college town feel. I also like the wineries around the Santa Ynez Valley and Paso Robles.

I don't LOVE the other communities in the area, as the beach communities north of Pt. Concepcion are too chilly for my taste and places like Santa Maria just aren't nice.

As far as SLO or SB goes, I don't think I could live there as there isn't much to offer in terms of job opportunities, yet both are very pricey, especially SB. Probably would be great places to retire or live if you have old money.
I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone said something negative about Santa Maria. It took just three posts.

I live in Santa Maria and I love it here. For the money, you can't get a better deal on a house anywhere in the Central Coast. There are some very nice neighborhoods in Santa Maria as well, especially near Robin Ventura Park.

Back to the main topic, our Central Coast is one of the best places in the country to live. No doubt about it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or