Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:52 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times

Advertisements

Fresno wins over anything in Nevada or Arizona just because of it's proximity to Yosemite, Bass Lake, Kings Canyon, the High Sierras and, of course, a 2.5 hour drive to the central coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 12:49 PM

187 posts, read 206,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Nah. That park bench doubled in price.
Damn, already priced out of the SF park bench market! If those NIMBYs would stop blocking the installation of new park benches, we'd all be able to afford them!

Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Nah. That park bench doubled in price.
Roger that, especially if it has a Bay view. Then its triple the price!

Old 05-22-2018, 07:32 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
From that list I'd choose Fresno just to stay in California. I lived there for two years in the early 90s and have been around it all my life because of family. Its fine. Yeah, the air quality could be better, but its no worse than the LA basin where millions upon millions live and people rarely say anything about anymore in that regard.

People are nice, commuting is easy, restaurants are cheap and quite varied and its close to a lot of great places for weekend trips.
BeauCharles, since you now live in Oroville which is in a relatively affordable area of the state, would you say you prefer that part of CA over Fresno when given the choice? I've heard good things about Chico, Paradise, Oroville, etc... So I'm curious to hear your thoughts on additional affordable CA options.

Derek

Old 05-22-2018, 08:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
BeauCharles, since you now live in Oroville which is in a relatively affordable area of the state, would you say you prefer that part of CA over Fresno when given the choice? I've heard good things about Chico, Paradise, Oroville, etc... So I'm curious to hear your thoughts on additional affordable CA options.

Derek
Well I can give my opinion. Yes! I'd prefer your mentioned areas over Fresno. I am familiar with the areas you mentioned. I noticed you are thinking about relocating. There is a ton of nice affordable areas in CA once you get away from the coastal urban areas. I live in the Gold Country, one such area. We have a lot of retired folks from the Bay Area here who sold their homes and bought the same or better here for a quarter of what they sold their BA home.

We have some nice country nearby.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:49 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Thank you Donnie Downer. I lived in Fresno for 25 years before moving to LA.
The crime rate at that time was high and at one point was the car theft capital of the US.
Property crime would not deter me from the clean air and fantastic scenery of Tucson.
I left Fresno for a better Job, not the crime rate. Always have to be aware of your surroundings no
matter where you are.

The crime rate in Fresno is about the same as Sacramento, both of which are below San Francisco's. Clovis's crime rate is below the national average.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:02 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
13 Cities Where You Can Live Comfortably On Less Than $60,000 A Year

The is an interesting list of options. I wasn't expecting to see CA in it. Although we do have more affordable areas in certain parts of the state.

If you had $60K to live on which would you pick? Or would it be somewhere else?

Columbus, OH
Fresno, CA
San Antonio, TX
Indianapolis, IN
Tulsa, OK
Memphis, TN
Louisville, KY
Las Vegas, NV
Tucson, AZ
Wichita, KS
Albuquerque, NM
Detroit, MI
El Paso, TX

Granted folks who bought homes a long time ago or have no mortgage can probably live somewhere nicer, perhaps.

Derek
Fresno is okay it's located near the second tallest mountain in the United States of America. Fresno is near California National Parks and National Forests.

Any surrounding towns at a higher elevation above the smogline would be a attractive place to live.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:51 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:

Derek
That's a tough one. The Sacramento Valley is definitely more scenic than the San Joaquin. I think I'd choose here over Fresno, but I'd probably choose Eastern Madera County or Mariposa County over Butte. I lived in my teens and 20s in Mariposa County so I'm partial to it.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:37 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:

If you had $60K to live on which would you pick?

Columbus, OH
Fresno, CA
San Antonio, TX
Indianapolis, IN
Tulsa, OK
Memphis, TN
Louisville, KY
Las Vegas, NV
Tucson, AZ
Wichita, KS
Albuquerque, NM
Detroit, MI
El Paso, TX
From this list Columbus is the obvious top choice and a great college town.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/...ege-city-in-us

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...e-u-s-for.html

Columbus is the number one opportunity city according to Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erincar.../#a629bb34c709

Indianapolis might be another good choice since its a low priced city with both NBA and NFL teams. However Indianapolis has worse crime stats than Chicago.

Louisville might be a great choice but I don't know enough about it.

I might like San Antonio,Tucson,Las Vegas and Albuquerque EXCEPT they are too hot and dry. I could not stand living in any of them during the summer. El Paso is also too hot and too close to a very high crime city across the border. I have been to Memphis and enjoyed my trip but the online crime stats are too high.

Fresno is on the bottom of this list. Its too hot,high crime,highly polluted and in high tax California. It has all the disadvantages of California without the advantage of mild coastal weather.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:24 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
From this list Columbus is the obvious top choice and a great college town.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/...ege-city-in-us

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...e-u-s-for.html

Columbus is the number one opportunity city according to Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erincar.../#a629bb34c709

Indianapolis might be another good choice since its a low priced city with both NBA and NFL teams. However Indianapolis has worse crime stats than Chicago.

Louisville might be a great choice but I don't know enough about it.

I might like San Antonio,Tucson,Las Vegas and Albuquerque EXCEPT they are too hot and dry. I could not stand living in any of them during the summer. El Paso is also too hot and too close to a very high crime city across the border. I have been to Memphis and enjoyed my trip but the online crime stats are too high.

Fresno is on the bottom of this list. Its too hot,high crime,highly polluted and in high tax California. It has all the disadvantages of California without the advantage of mild coastal weather.
San Antonio is actually humid and gets 30 inches of rain per year. Don't let the name and the fact that it's in Texas deceive you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California