Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 12:24 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
And why shouldn't they? They're U.S. citizens.

Known colloquially if derisively as the "anchor baby loophole". And I also concur that it needs to be closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 01:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If it is a government contract, then call DOL & ask for a prevailing wage audit.

When we were working in San Francisco, many of the Chinese contractors bid the job at impossible rates. I believed them to use sub par materials & slave ( trafficking) labor. Everyone points the fingers at the Mexicans, but in my experience it was all the Chinese who did more damage. There were even reports of people dieing on job sites & then the bodies being disposed of. Do not get me started on the wood scaffolds. ( unsafe) We all know they use the females as sex slaves, but they also use the males as slave labor on construction sites. More enforcement of current safety laws might help.
Not government but private company's and telling anyone gets you no where.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:08 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,672,733 times
I am aware of the term "anchor baby." That has been a problem for decades, not just recent years. In order to stop that, the U.S. Constitution will have to be changed. Everyone who lives in America (with half a brain) know the problem exists. What's the solution? Call your representative in DC and tell them you won't vote for them again unless they do something about it? They don't care. If they did, we wouldn't still be talking about it in 2018.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I and others have had to shut down businesses because our competitors hired illegals. Home Depot may not, but many do. Replacing citizens at a lower pay.

What about illegals with children born in the US who are citizens. They get benefits.
What business are you talking about that get shut down because your competitors hire illegals? Heck, just call Homeland Security, if that's the case.

And to your second question, just because someone has a child who is a citizen, doesn't make them eligible for government benefits that require citizenship. If you can cite any actual laws to refute this, please provide them.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
And they tell people like you that illegal immigration is a “victimless crime “

The pandering to illegals is purely a political tactic .
In L.A the areas with the most illegal aliens are pretty run down with trash on the streets and poor air quality and high crime .. so how much do these politicians really care about illegals ? They know there are a lot of anchor babies at voting age .

They also hoped that Hillary would win and legalize them all and let them vote .
OMG, Hillary is such old news. She lost the election in November 2016 to Trump. If there are any current problems you want to complain about - it's time to blame Trump, not some candidate who lost to him 2 years ago.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:34 PM

I volunteer with ESL conversation students, and the Chinese students I've met who are pregnant or who have had babies in the U.S., ALL expect to move back to China and NOT use the fact that their child is a U.S. citizen in order to stay in the U.S. or get any kind of benefits in the U.S.

So, this idea is completely wrong, from my experience with Chinese immigrants at least in Silicon Valley. When I've emphasized to them that their child would be a U.S. citizen, they almost look afraid and tell me that no, their child will be Chinese.

So, I think you're very much misinformed.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:46 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OMG, Hillary is such old news. She lost the election in November 2016 to Trump. If there are any current problems you want to complain about - it's time to blame Trump, not some candidate who lost to him 2 years ago.
She’s fair game . She’s still politically involved and has an anti Trump PAC and keeps on making media appearances.
If she just decided to retire would be another story .

Old 09-28-2018, 09:48 PM

Mr Cox is talking to real people everyday .
Unlike the liberal elitist Newsom that hangs out with his donor friends the Getty’s etc .

Such a contrast
https://signalscv.com/2018/09/john-c...o-real-people/

Old 09-28-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
She’s fair game . She’s still politically involved and has an anti Trump PAC and keeps on making media appearances.
If she just decided to retire would be another story .
You're really going to give her that much power? She's a peripheral person making news appearances, giving her opinion, as someone who lost a presidential election - but you're going to give her the power of being someone who can take Trump down?

In my opinion, that would be a good thing. But, if that's your argument, as a Trump supporter, you are simply exposing how weak he is.

Let's put responsibility where it belongs. If anything fails during Trump's presidency, it's Trump's fault. End of story.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You're really going to give her that much power? She's a peripheral person making news appearances, giving her opinion, as someone who lost a presidential election - but you're going to give her the power of being someone who can take Trump down?

In my opinion, that would be a good thing. But, if that's your argument, as a Trump supporter, you are simply exposing how weak he is.

Let's put responsibility where it belongs. If anything fails during Trump's presidency, it's Trump's fault. End of story.
I don’t think she will bring Trump down . I believe he will finish two terms .
It’s the left that still views her as a hero .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California