Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 12:37 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,260,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I don't know for sure if it's all about the resistance to Trump. I think it's more than that. It's a steadfast belief by a lot of Californians that the country is heading in the wrong direction. I ran across this little gem a while ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...way/ar-BBPqAZf

What's clear to me now is that liberal votes in this state outweigh conservative by nearly 3-1. I'm out of step with the rest of the state so I'll just let them do what they want and I'll focus on how well my garden is doing. For someone like me who doesn't get the whole tax and spend mentality, I'm not wasting anymore time reading election guides, marking a ballot or spending money on stamps to mail it in. I was on the winning side of three propositions this time around. Time to quit.
I agree with your sentiment. I think the media easily manipulates liberal voters (stealing children at the border, kavanaugh accusations, racism accusations, all fake).

Newsom will most likely try to pass some out of the blue legislation like ban all guns or conceal carry, at least it will force the matter to be settled once and for all. I'll have to find additional means of making more money and lowering my tax burden. I will have to raise rents on my properties again to offset new costs incurred on me. I will also tend to my garden and gray hairs.

Let me go check out that housing crash thread for the exact date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 12:43 PM

42,711 posts, read 25,867,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I don't know for sure if it's all about the resistance to Trump. I think it's more than that. It's a steadfast belief by a lot of Californians that the country is heading in the wrong direction. I ran across this little gem a while ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...way/ar-BBPqAZf

What's clear to me now is that liberal votes in this state outweigh conservative by nearly 3-1. I'm out of step with the rest of the state so I'll just let them do what they want and I'll focus on how well my garden is doing. For someone like me who doesn't get the whole tax and spend mentality, I'm not wasting anymore time reading election guides, marking a ballot or spending money on stamps to mail it in. I was on the winning side of three propositions this time around. Time to quit.
Pete Wilson pretty much guaranteed that California would never again have a Republican majority with prop 187, then Trump comes along and lets everyone know how much he hates the state. He threatens to cut off federal aid for fire fighting if state doesn't cut enough of it's forests, he's threatening to divert water to Central California farmers because that's one of the few remaining Republican strongholds in the state. He promises to allow oil drilling off our beaches but exempts Florida because he likes Rick Scott, and the SALT tax limits in the tax bill was just Trump thumbing his nose at wealthy blue states. I don't recall any past president using the power of his position to try to harm a particular state, it's ugly divisive and bizarre.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:49 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,276,622 times
Newsom spoke quite a bit about being open borders / illegal alien friendly as something that makes CA unique and special .

But I’ve never heard a great argument about why a big amount of illegal aliens is good for the average legal Californian . And never a word about how expensive it is to support the citizens and children of Mexico and other countries.
It costs many many billions.

They don’t file taxes , and they send many billions back home taking it out of the U.S economy . I see the play for the politicians ... but what about average Californians?

Old 11-07-2018, 12:50 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,992,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Pete Wilson pretty much guaranteed that California would never again have a Republican majority with prop 187
Prop 187 passed by a large margin and was supported by most of the state. But I guess Dems never miss opportunities to label people racist.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:52 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,992,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I see the play for the politicians ... but what about average Californians?
They don't care about the average Californian. They might as well be invisible.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:15 PM

19,097 posts, read 16,465,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Pete Wilson pretty much guaranteed that California would never again have a Republican majority with prop 187, then Trump comes along and lets everyone know how much he hates the state. He threatens to cut off federal aid for fire fighting if state doesn't cut enough of it's forests, he's threatening to divert water to Central California farmers because that's one of the few remaining Republican strongholds in the state. He promises to allow oil drilling off our beaches but exempts Florida because he likes Rick Scott, and the SALT tax limits in the tax bill was just Trump thumbing his nose at wealthy blue states. I don't recall any past president using the power of his position to try to harm a particular state, it's ugly divisive and bizarre.
It's not only about Prop 187 - which I didn't agree with anyway and did not vote for but it's much more than that. And bringing up Trump again isn't explaining why California is the way it is. It's been going in that direction long before Trump came on the scene. I don't like Trump either but one thing I do agree with is that the state hasn't been clearing the forest as they did in years past. Even our own state's fire service said so. But it's all so easy to blame Trump for our own shortfalls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Prop 187 passed by a large margin and was supported by most of the state. But I guess Dems never miss opportunities to label people racist.
Yeah, I know but I wasn't a fan of that Proposition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I agree with your sentiment. I think the media easily manipulates liberal voters (stealing children at the border, kavanaugh accusations, racism accusations, all fake).

Newsom will most likely try to pass some out of the blue legislation like ban all guns or conceal carry, at least it will force the matter to be settled once and for all. I'll have to find additional means of making more money and lowering my tax burden. I will have to raise rents on my properties again to offset new costs incurred on me. I will also tend to my garden and gray hairs.

Let me go check out that housing crash thread for the exact date.
I'm sure you're right about new gun laws. Or let's say newer stricter gun laws, as if they aren't strict enough. Trouble is, the ones committing the crimes with guns aren't the responsible gun owners yet they are ones who are penalized. Criminals are always going to be able to get guns.

One suggestion to making more money .... start a youtube channel. Do you have any idea what some of those people with huge followings make in a month? If you have a talent or skill you can share with the world, do it. Got any DIY suggestions for homeowners? Any gardening tricks? Automotive repair? People love that sort of stuff. Actually, had it not been for the master tile guy in Georgia, I'd have never been able to figure out the best way to tile my tub surround in the bath and make sure it was water tight. Give it a shot, you never know. You could be the next big thing on Youtube.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:24 PM

42,711 posts, read 25,867,327 times
Quote:
I didn't say racist, did I? And it's not something I dreamed up, most long time California residents know that it hurt Republicans.

Quote:
Republicans Jack Kemp and Bill Bennett even opposed Proposition 187. Their opposition was summed up by William F. Buckley Jr. thusly: “The Kemp-Bennet position says: Look, there shouldn’t be illegal immigrants in California, but it is the business of the Federal Government to keep them away. To pass such a measure as 187 situates the GOP with a strain of xenophobia which will very quickly (California will be more than 50 percent Asian/Hispanic at the turn of the century whatever happens to illegals) evolve into anti-GOP resentments by the majority of Californians. That could lead to such electoral catastrophes as pursued many GOP candidates who were slow in boarding the civil-rights crusade.” [Emphasis added] https://www.cato.org/blog/propositio...alifornia-blue
Quote:
The draconian anti-immigration initiative of 1994 helped turn the nation’s most populous state blue. California’s electoral votes had gone to the Republican candidate every presidential election between 1968 and 1988. But the tide started to turn against Republicans when they overreached on an issue that Trump has made his own: stoking nativist fears about immigration. By 2012, Democrats held a supermajority in the state legislature. By 2016, California was so solidly Democratic that commentators now speak of it as a liberal quasi-nation counterbalancing Trumpland. https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...urnout-prop187
Quote:
As Gov. Pete Wilson (R) plotted his reelection bid nearly a quarter-century ago, he turned to a secret weapon that would mobilize his core voters: a ballot measure to bar undocumented immigrants from accessing state services like non emergency healthcare and public schools. The ballot measure, Proposition 187, passed. Wilson won an unlikely reelection. It was a gambit that would have made Pyrrhus of Epirus, namesake of the Pyrrhic victory — or one that inflicts substantial damage on the winner — blush. Wilson’s short-term victory came at the long-term expense of the state Republican Party. For more than two decades, Democrats have used Proposition 187 as shorthand with California’s growing Hispanic and Asian communities, one that has marginalized the GOP in the nation’s most-populous state. In 2016, another candidate running a Wilson-like campaign with regards to immigrants and Hispanics reached a new nadir. Donald Trump won a smaller share of the vote in California than any GOP presidential nominee candidate since Alf Landon lost to Franklin Roosevelt in 1936. Now, some Republicans in the state wonder if their party is about to sink further into irrelevancy. https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...rings-familiar

Old 11-07-2018, 04:44 PM

7,663 posts, read 5,372,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Oh weird she was speaking in Spanish .
Yeah, just like George W. Bush.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:48 PM

7,663 posts, read 5,372,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_.bolden . View Post

You have just been reported to the moderator for posting your hateful nonsense, trying to make it look like I said someone needs to die.

I have never said anyone "needs to die."

No matter how many times you try to edit your hateful post, I have it screen printed.

Now SCAT!

Old 11-07-2018, 06:11 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,276,622 times
Quote:
Things would of been much better with Prop 187
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California