Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 11:33 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,372,628 times

Advertisements

Lake Isabella has a lot of horsey people, oops, I mean people with horses and mules. There's a group of folks who work at the base that live in that area. They have a car pool over to the base. One of my mule friends lives in Onyx which is east of Lake Isabella. Her husband works at China Lake or Edwards, I forget which, and he's in that car pool. They usually go to Bakersfield for their major shopping. It's about a 30 min trip down the Kern River Canyon. They have some beautiful mules and are great people. You can contact them for information about anything equestrian in the area.

Spring Canyon Mule Makers - Home | Facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 10:44 PM

8,384 posts, read 7,603,684 times
Make sure you get rattlesnake vaccines for your dogs. They're available at all vets here.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,260,188 times
The mules look awesome. I have some mule friends!

Rattlesnake vaccines? Yikes. My dogs are elderly couch potatoes. I'll have to look into that! Never woulda thunk it!

Old 08-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Default Almost there!

I should be there Tuesday. I'm going to get a room for a week and hopefully get into a place after that.

Does anyone know anything about La Mirage Condos? I saw the reviews. I think I could be okay there.

Until I sell the place in CT I'll be paying that mortgage so I want to go as cheap as possible.

Okay, true confession, I help my son pay rent every month. But that's because I pushed him into the place he's in. I had to get him out of my house because of the hostility of my... other half/ex/roommate. I don't mind. He's doing really well. He pays most of it and covers all his other bills.

Anyway, I'm on the road with the two dogs. La Mirage is pet friendly, too. I just need a small place.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:31 AM

17,620 posts, read 22,578,454 times
Drive Safely.

Enjoy the beauty of the scenery on your trip. Take photos when you can.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:31 AM

3,843 posts, read 4,509,711 times
Yup Ridgecrest is California desert alright, hot! Budget for air conditioning, and a pool would be nice. Wear sunscreen and a hat. Winters are probably nice and I would imagine outside of any city lights, the stargazing would be amazing! 👍
You'll also be close to one of my favorite roads... hwy 395! The Eastern Sierras, one of our favorite road trippin roads!! Love it through there! So many interesting spots and gorgeous scenery for sure.
Lone Pine, the Alabama Hills, the Western Movie Museum, Mount Whitney, Manzanar historic site, Bishop and the Buttermilks where people all over the world come to climb the boulders. Mammoth mountain and June Lake, (do you ski?) Mono Lake, Bodie Ghost Town, Twin Lakes outside of Bridgeport. Take a long weekend you could take it all the way up to Lake Tahoe.
Las Vegas is less than 4 hours east, and Death Valley is facinating. Otherworldly beauty... keep your ears out for when the wildflowers bloom in late winter early spring! Beautiful!

Ah heck, I just might have talked myself into moving to Ridgecrest too! 😁

Old 08-19-2018, 08:41 AM

I wanted to update.
Supposed to be 108° today. I just smile and remember Kuwait at 130°. Certainly prepared me for this!
I've decided on the La Mirage "Condos". They are former base housing and seem comfortable and affordable. 2br, garage, yard. I'm hopefully signing the lease tomorrow. Right now we're in Motel 6, which I believe 2 notches down from Motel 8.
Small town feel. Apparently, at one time (70s) there was nothing here but the base. I've kind of been all around. I looked at a couple of places but the "nice" places are fairly intermingled with the not-as-nice and they all sit on the same dirt. The people who have cultivated yards and trees are slaves to irrigation.
So I see all the dirt and think "no way do I want to buy property and dig in here". Then I see them. Those mountains. Seems no matter where I go they are always beckoning me.
I spoke to a couple who said they've been here 60 years after moving "for 2 years". eek!
ETA: I start work tomorrow. If I love the job I'll really be in trouble! Actually I already know I'll love the job.
(I can use the pool on base!)

Old 08-22-2018, 04:26 PM

I'm pleased you found some Condos you & the pups can be happy in...

do you know the former name for Ridgecrest, is Crumville? .....

Thar' be some Gold still in the mountains around RC.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.JSYi3qQTmdk

I had some online friends who enjoyed camping, exploring, prospecting in the mountains there, on weekends. They worked at China Lake.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:21 PM

Thanks Hawk! If I strike it rich I'll give you a cut!

Old 08-22-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Thanks Hawk! If I strike it rich I'll give you a cut!

Sounds fair.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California