Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 10:02 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times

Advertisements

The gas tax wouldn’t have been such a big deal if the state just left the vehicle registration fees out of it.

At the same time, it’s the point that the leaders didn’t allow the voters to vote on the measure.

California is a shady state when it comes to how our tax dollars are being spent. We have one of the worst infrastructure in the nation, with our roads being rated in poor condition in many metro areas, yet we have the best weather in the country so that means less environmental stress and damage to the asphalt and concrete therefore the upkeep shouldn’t be that hard nor expensive even with all the traffic jams, and insane amount of vehicles.

But because of the nice weather, the attention and urgency to maintain our roads has been put on the back burner way too long, and I honestly don’t think the political culture will ever change at the state capital any time soon as long as we continue to keep voting in career politicians that don’t give a damn about the people, and our quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 10:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I would be curious would this be another failed ballot measure like many in California before i.e SB270 aka prop 67 where the only people who vote are the strong pro tax groups. Though its true that the gas tax has not be adjusted for inflation for many years. I guess California would not want Baja California to beat them in gas prices which was shortly the case back in 2017 when Mexico deregulated gas prices but before the new CA gas tax kicked in. Otherwise we will have more Baja residents from south of the border clogging our streets and causing wear and tear without paying for it.

While I don't like new taxes in already overtaxed California I would be curious of the consequences should the ballot measure worked and repealed the tax. Seeing how California works I would bet they would quickly think of a new way to screw the residents of their hard earned money and in worse ways than the gas tax.
I'm not sure where people get the idea that taxpayers are entitled to vote on every fee and tax increase. My federal tax burden will go up because of the changes that were made in the tax bill, I don't recall being able to vote on that one.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:57 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure where people get the idea that taxpayers are entitled to vote on every fee and tax increase. My federal tax burden will go up because of the changes that were made in the tax bill, I don't recall being able to vote on that one.
Asinine that you you don't question our local government, especially when it's known that they terrible at handling money. I can understand your position though, being that you have a direct vested interest in keeping these tax hikes.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:26 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Asinine that you you don't question our local government, especially when it's known that they terrible at handling money. I can understand your position though, being that you have a direct vested interest in keeping these tax hikes.
What is my vested interest in keeping these tax hikes, I'm retired I don't have a job doing road repair. And why did you dodge my question about the feds raising taxes without us voting on them, from what I've seen they are worse at managing their money than California is, at least California has a budget surplus

Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Only my opinion but I think the reason people want the right to vote on these type of taxes is because they question where the money will go and when previous taxes weren't used as they promised, we are now subjected to more tax for the very same thing. I don't believe people are against taxes altogether, they just want to see the money used wisely. As for the federal government, when they make changes, it affects the entire country so essentially we (citizens) are all equal in the tax burden they are levying on us but with each state, it's different. Seeing that California is such an expensive state to live in, we (voters) would like to see our money be used as they said it would and not siphoned into other areas.

As for the gas tax specifically, it's a contentious subject because we have one of the (if not THE most) highest tax rates in the country. Another reason is that most people don't realize we actually pay the state twice on gas tax; a primary excise and a secondary excise tax.

How much you'll REALLY pay in gasoline tax in California (Hint: It's probably more than you think) - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Compared to other states and the condition of some of our roads and bridges, we don't seem to getting that much bang for our buck.

Last edited by JGC97; 02-15-2022 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-10-2018, 09:35 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Only my opinion but I think the reason people want the right to vote on these type of taxes is because they question where the money will go and when previous taxes weren't used as they promised, we are now subjected to more tax for the very same thing. I don't believe people are against taxes altogether, they just want to see the money used wisely. As for the federal government, when they make changes, it affects the entire country so essentially we (citizens) are all equal in the tax burden they are levying on us but with each state, it's different. Seeing that California is such an expensive state to live in, we (voters) would like to see our money be used as they said it would and not siphoned into other areas.

As for the gas tax specifically, it's a contentious subject because we have one of the (if not THE most) highest tax rates in the country. Another reason is that most people don't realize we actually pay the state twice on gas tax; a primary excise and a secondary excise tax.

How much you'll REALLY pay in gasoline tax in California (Hint: It's probably more than you think) - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Compared to other states and the condition of some of our roads and bridges, we don't seem to getting that much bang for our buck.
We pay the highest tax in the country and one of the highest gas prices. This gas tax was forced on us because they knew it would never pass. If we don't fight this what's to keep Newsome from doing this again and again?? This is supposed to be a democracy for Petes sake!! No wonder the lower and middle class is giving up and leaving the state.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:58 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
What is my vested interest in keeping these tax hikes, I'm retired I don't have a job doing road repair. And why did you dodge my question about the feds raising taxes without us voting on them, from what I've seen they are worse at managing their money than California is, at least California has a budget surplus
I think you know what Max is talking about. Since we have a surplus when can I expect my refund check??

Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
California is a shady state when it comes to how our tax dollars are being spent.
Voters just passed Prop 69 on an 89-19 vote. It requires that every penny of gas tax goes to roads and a strict accounting of it. There is no shadiness.

And because of this "lockbox" on gas taxes I am much more inclined to vote to keep the new gas tax.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:29 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Voters just passed Prop 69 on an 89-19 vote. It requires that every penny of gas tax goes to roads and a strict accounting of it. There is no shadiness.

And because of this "lockbox" on gas taxes I am much more inclined to vote to keep the new gas tax.
It does not seem to cover the whole of the gas tax, just the new tax increase? If so they will spend the previous tax % as they wish. It does not require the other gas tax money collected to be spent that way.

A "yes" vote supported this amendment to:
  • require that revenue from the diesel sales tax and Transportation Improvement Fee enacted by Senate Bill 1 (SB 1) be used for transportation-related purposes; and

Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Notice "transportation purposes" is a broad statement and allows all sorts of things that have no direct impact on ... roads. they can even give money to Universities to study the problem as I believe they have been doing for years with no real benefit or no studies would be needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California