Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 05:58 PM

156 posts, read 163,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Once you get away from the coastal urban areas it is not expensive. But it you want to live in LA , San Diego or the Bay Area, then yes it is expensive.

I live in a nice part of CA and houses are 25% of what you would pay in LA or the Bay Area.
Nice. How is it like living in the foothills of the Sierras? I'm very attracted to that region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 05:58 PM

390 posts, read 307,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Supply and demand - (basic economics). Stop by a public library and pick up a book on introductory economics.
Was that type of response to me really necessary?
Why do some posters seem to enjoy attacking "nice" people?

Old 07-24-2018, 06:00 PM

390 posts, read 307,006 times
How are Modesto and Fresno? Are they expensive? Crime ridden?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:29 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,005,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
Crime ridden: no, especially if you dont live in the ghetto.

Expensive: kind of! Housing is way less, but salaries are also less. If you live cheaply, you can make out like a bandit tho.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:43 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedAlpha View Post
Nice. How is it like living in the foothills of the Sierras? I'm very attracted to that region.
Slightly wonderful. We love it. If you can put up with friendly people, no traffic, low crime and top end schools, it could possibly work. But do keep in mind the area is politically red and religious, factors that we don’t mind.

Quote:
I could live in Modesto. Fresno, not so much. Turlock, Oakdale and Merced are also worth looking at.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:43 PM

156 posts, read 163,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Slightly wonderful. We love it. If you can put up with friendly people, no traffic, low crime and top end schools, it could possibly work. But do keep in mind the area is politically red and religious, factors that we don’t mind.

I could live in Modesto. Fresno, not so much. Turlock, Oakdale and Merced are also worth looking at.
Sounds great. I love the history, scenery, & charm of that whole area. Also that it's right next to the Sierras. If I may ask, what part of the region do you live?

Nevada City & Grass Valley look like great places to live.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:18 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Sounds great. I love the history, scenery, & charm of that whole area. Also that it's right next to the Sierras. If I may ask, what part of the region do you live?

Factors, factors. Nevada City and Grass Valley are somewhat citified. Liberal and a serious side effects from marijuana growing. Was in Neveds City in June. Filled with city types. For the real deal, Placerville and south to Mariposa. I don’t consider Auburn/Grass Valley/Nevada City more than high priced Sacramento extensions. With that said I do like Sacramento. If you want a genuine Sierra foothill lifestyle look to Placerville and south.

Last edited by Mr5150; 07-25-2018 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:

I looked at Nevada City. Try looking at El Dorado Hills. That was a favorite spot. Close to Sacto if you need the city and a few hours from the Bay Area.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:02 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,068,392 times
Quote:
Every where you look in California - North, South, inland, etc. is so expensive!!! Why???
Because its fabulous!!!! Grab your tin cup and your organ grinding monkey and hit the pavement.

However, lets be very clear: Stay off my corner. Your road will definitely be less traveled. Dead end ahead.

And with those prickly words I say welcome aboard.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,526 times
Well depends exactly where in California you live. In Southern California (where I am), some areas you can definitely live okay in even with a low income. The closer you get to the beach, the more expensive it gets. Also, nearly everything in Los Angeles County and Orange County will be expensive as these are glamorous spots where the rich Californians live in. You can probably make a good living in the Inland Empire though, which is region to the east of those two counties. It's more of a desert place so the weather can be quite uncomfortable there. Like around this time it gets up to 105 degrees. It's a cheap area though and you can buy a house in the Inland Empire for cheap. Plus, the cities in that region aren't far away from the beach and the other famous California spots you wanna go to. Only about an hour drive.

Don't even bother looking for houses in Los Angeles County or Orange County. Prices are way too high and the cost of living is through the roof. I bet it will make your Virginia look like a poverty state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California