Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 04:29 PM

86 posts, read 74,336 times

Advertisements

I proposed this theory in a different thread: it's not that millennials are far poorer than previous generations, it's that the wealth is less evenly distributed. There are two Engineers/Doctors/Lawyers & FANG/crypto investor millenials that are killing it for every twenty working retail and/or living with their parents.

No data, just a gut feeling....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 04:33 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
Buy an RV and then you can live wherever you want. Get bored with the place? Move.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:37 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Buy an RV and then you can live wherever you want. Get bored with the place? Move.
Serious petroleum dependence!

Old 08-04-2018, 04:37 PM

86 posts, read 74,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
$240k and you can’t save for a down payment? Party much? How do you like the 2018 BMW 7 series you just bought?

My guess with a little effort you could put $60K aside per year for a down payment.

The millennials are buying Teslas not BMWs

Old 08-04-2018, 04:47 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iExtrapolate View Post
The millennials are buying Teslas not BMWs
OP says he's car-free. Way to go, OP!

Old 08-04-2018, 06:02 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
While you are young, invest, invest, invest. For some people their home equity is the only the thing that saves their bacon during retirement. But it certainly isn't the only way to invest well during your working years. You might find other low-maintenance, lucrative business opportunities. I would say you should be able to easily save ~ 50% of your income. Now imagine that over 10 years with some kind of decent ROI. Within 10 years you'll have $1m+ saved. Eventually you can then 'decide' how long you want to continue working before retiring 'early' or not. It will be totally up to you.

Regrading RE investment in Oceanside, yes, a condo is a great place to look and start. But it doesn't have to be. You could, as someone else stated, invest in a decent home inland a bit and lease it out. Have them pay for the bulk of your mortgage. It doesn't have to be LA or some place you don't like.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-04-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 08-04-2018, 06:14 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Here's a few you could most likely afford:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...42_rect/14_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...42_rect/14_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...84_rect/14_zm/

Here's a house a bit inland:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...91_rect/14_zm/

Derek

Old 08-05-2018, 09:19 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're car free? So save 1/2 your paycheck annually, & in about 3 years, you'll be able to pay cash, too. Or find a condo that doesn't have cash buyers; there can't be THAT many foreigners buying up all the condos. Where did you say you live, again?

OP, you're oddly helpless in this realm, for a pro anesthesiologist making bank. You could call a RE agent to ask all your questions...

Oh, wait, I get it people; the OP is trying to pay off mongo student loans ASAP, that's what must be going on. That's smart, OP. Still, you could be (and probably are, I hope??) stashing some of your great paycheck, away for the future.
Is he car free? He says he likes being close to the freeway to escape to other places.
Student loans.,. Good call Ruth.
Op might be a bit disingenuous about his situation based on what seems obvious to all of us .

Old 08-05-2018, 01:26 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Is he car free? He says he likes being close to the freeway to escape to other places.
Student loans.,. Good call Ruth.
Op might be a bit disingenuous about his situation based on what seems obvious to all of us .
That was my first thought. Anyone making $240K a year knows they can easily qualify for well over $1M, more like $1.2-1.3M, more than enough to afford something in Oceanside. Even if there’s high student loan debt, that can be restructured to lower payments over a longer term to help qualify high. A minimum down payment of 5% should easily be met in under a year, especially if renting in Oceanside.

Most high earners I know, even at his age, had a better grasp on reality than this kid. Sorry, but something ain’t jiving. If I am wrong, and he’s being honest and really looking for advice, I do apologize.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:43 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
That was my first thought. Anyone making $240K a year knows they can easily qualify for well over $1M, more like $1.2-1.3M, more than enough to afford something in Oceanside. Even if there’s high student loan debt, that can be restructured to lower payments over a longer term to help qualify high. A minimum down payment of 5% should easily be met in under a year, especially if renting in Oceanside.

Most high earners I know, even at his age, had a better grasp on reality than this kid. Sorry, but something ain’t jiving. If I am wrong, and he’s being honest and really looking for advice, I do apologize.
I didn’t want to say what you just did. So, now you have: anyone smart enough to attain the education, credentials, and starting salary stated at such a young age - doesn’t seem a likely prospect for such basic personal economics naiveté. But, who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California