Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 17,960 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are most likely going to be moving to the San Luis Obispo area in early 2019.

My job's going to be in tiny Santa Margarita, so I want to minimize my commute obviously, but I guess I'm just looking for overall advice: where to live, what to do, what to watch out for when buying/renting, etc.

I've got 2 dogs (40 and 90 lbs), so obviously that complicates rental options somewhat.

One question: I've noticed that a lot of listings say they don't have air conditioning--how much of a necessity is that out there? (I grew up in Houston, where it's almost as important as water, so I'm reluctant to give it up.)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 04:59 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
First off, it gets very hot there in the summer. I'd definitely want A/C. Think high 90's and triple digits.
Second, You're north of the Cuesta Grade in Santa Margarita. There's no way I'd want to climb that thing every morning.
If you have a muscle car that can handle it, fine. If you have a Toyota Corolla, just toss that idea aside or get used to inching up the hill in the right lane.
"Dogs and apartments in CA" makes finding a place to live infinitely more challenging. Only a small percentage of people will even consider you. Luckily, you have time to research places to live in SLO County, so that will help a little.
Beautiful area with lots to see, do, and explore. Hope it works out well for you!

Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 17,960 times
Thanks!

Old 08-16-2018, 09:20 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,637,830 times
I know a lot of people here have recommended Morro Bay to other posters in the area. Your commute from there will be 30 mins according to Google Maps. What is your budget

Old 08-16-2018, 09:44 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Are you wanting to NOT live in the town where you will work? It does get hot in summers ... though average highs are mostly mid-80’s, it does experience higher heat waves, as Snort pointed out. SLO rarely hits 90’s. So a bit cooler on average. The Cuesta Grade for commuting? Yeah, it’s a factor for an old car I guess. Not too bad imo. But it’s a climb, yep.

Living out on the coast in Morro Bay or Cayucos is delightful with a couple caveats:
1. They are further drives - and winding roads (but really lovely)
2. MUCH cooler, and subject to fog and stiff breezes that can be quite chilly ... so good news/bad news depending on your tastes

If you don’t mind the extra drive and prefer the cooler micro-climate, Los Osos is the more affordable, and really nicely situated for recreation up against Montana d’oro state park as well as being on the south bayshore. Not a lot of rental venues in Los Osos, though.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:41 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
If you can find a place in Santa Margarita go for it. If not, Atascadero is literally right next to Santa Margarita so look at living there. Bigger town (28,000 people) and easier to find rentals. The further west in Atascadero you go, the cooler the temperatures will be. You will have a/c in most places. The no a/c places are San Luis Obispo and the towns on the coast. It is so easy to get around here. From Atascadero you can be in SLO in 20 minutes, Paso Robles in 20, and the coast in 20. When it's hot inland you can head to the coast and cool off in 60 degree temps. And it doesn't stay hot here like it does in Texas and it always cools off at night.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:01 PM

545 posts, read 513,304 times
Firestone Grill downtown

Excellent BBQ

Old 08-16-2018, 12:06 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
If you are younger than say 60 years old, then definitely live in SLO. Otherwise you will be bored to death.

All the surrounding towns around SLO are tiny, and full of retirees.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:37 PM

54 posts, read 95,974 times
At least there are some great dog-friendly beaches in SLO County so your dogs can cool off. https://www.slocal.com/blog/post/dog...in-slo-county/

Old 08-17-2018, 12:27 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
If you are younger than say 60 years old, then definitely live in SLO. Otherwise you will be bored to death.

All the surrounding towns around SLO are tiny, and full of retirees.
Oh, sort of. But it only takes 15 minutes or less to get into SLO from Moro Bay or Los Osos. Add another 5 from Cayucos. Meanwhile, you live in the cooler temps by the beaches. If you like hiking and surfing and kayaking among the Bay wildlife and birdlife- and many young do as well as older folks - the small towns are about perfect. 15 minutes to the college city is nothing. Never any traffic.

And dog friendly beaches, as mentioned. Plus nice dog park at El Chorro Regional Park right halfway between MB and SLO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California