U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 08:41 AM

21,071 posts, read 18,664,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Many people already hold a passport these days
According to this Forbes article, only 42% of Americans hold a passport (2017 data). I wonder how many of those who do even know where theirs is, or whether it's expired. So, a REAL ID becomes a necessity, since obtaining a passport for the first time is time consuming and expensive.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#2e997acd3c16
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 11:13 AM

5,693 posts, read 3,565,380 times
You can still fly with your regular CA drivers license until Oct. 2020 so I don't get why everyone is rushing to get real ID now.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:58 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,070,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
You can still fly with your regular CA drivers license until Oct. 2020 so I don't get why everyone is rushing to get real ID now.
I bet that is going to be delayed again as some states are still holding out, great for them. They should continue to do so. And this tyranny would never take over the country.

As for the other poster with the Forbes data much much more people are holding passports these days compared to prior to Canada, Mexico, somewhere between the other Americas, and Carribean travel required passports. I bet nowadays the figure would include almost 3/4 of those who travels by air on the continent so it would affect very little people who fly still don't have passports, most people who travel by air these days would travel Internationally or at least to our neighboring countries once a decade which now, unlike per 2009, requires passports. Remember not so long ago half the people on the continent probably never traveled by plane at all anywhere. Renewing an expired passport isn't a big deal and involve far less bureaucracy than a trip to the DMV which you are likely to just get a noncompliant driver license by mistake,

Old 10-06-2018, 02:16 PM

1,666 posts, read 695,270 times
Quote:

Because most people are idiots and will wait till the last minute. Just imagine how bad it will be then.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:19 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,228,026 times
My 15-year-old daughter recently finished her driver's ed course and needs to go to the DMV to take the permit test. I tried on October 1 to make her an appointment. There were no appointments at all available for the two closest offices (Laguna Hills and San Clemente). That makes no sense; how can there be no appointments available, ever?

I was finally able to get an appointment for her on January 29 at Costa Mesa. 121 DAYS away. A third of a year! Ridiculous! I guess we are just going to have her take a day off school and show up at the DMV an hour before they open on a weekday, and hope she can get in.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:14 PM

21,071 posts, read 18,664,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I was finally able to get an appointment for her on January 29 at Costa Mesa. 121 DAYS away. A third of a year! Ridiculous!
That's horrible. You wonder if some of the driver's ed schools started complaining on behalf of their teenage clients, that it might put more pressure on the DMV. No kid waiting for his/her driver's license should have to wait that long.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:37 AM

10,115 posts, read 6,228,026 times
I have to come back and add to my previous post, that if you can't get an appointment where you want when you want it, keep trying! I mentioned that the only appointment I could get for my teenage daughter was four months away at a location that was not convenient for us.

But I kept searching for an appointment at our preferred office every single day. For six days I got the same notice--"No appointments available at this location." Today I was offered an appointment for October 26! Someone must have cancelled and their slot became available. Boy, did I jump on that fast, and my daughter is thrilled that she can get her permit--provided she passes the test!--before the end of this month.

So, granted that the whole system is flawed, I would encourage people not to give up if they can't get the appointment the need the first time they try. It's a nuisance to have to go back again and again, but you just might get a better day/time/location if you are patient.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:37 PM

3,214 posts, read 1,325,976 times
Quote:
Last July I flew on Jet Blue. Their website at the time proclaimed that non Real ID identification would be invalid Oct. 2018. I'm sure a lot of Jet Blue customers jammed the works.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,070,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Last July I flew on Jet Blue. Their website at the time proclaimed that non Real ID identification would be invalid Oct. 2018. I'm sure a lot of Jet Blue customers jammed the works.
Interestingly they kept delaying the implementation date since 2008 and I would guess they would delay it again, I mean two years ago they sat the deadline at 2018 but two years before that they sat it at 2016. The whole thing is scare tactic for states to comply and violate their privacy laws to bow down to the federal government. Its security theatre at best. States only give in as newly elected politicians fear the unpopularity if their state's residents can no longer use their licenses to fly.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:42 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,325,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interestingly they kept delaying the implementation date since 2008 and I would guess they would delay it again, I mean two years ago they sat the deadline at 2018 but two years before that they sat it at 2016. The whole thing is scare tactic for states to comply and violate their privacy laws to bow down to the federal government. Its security theatre at best. States only give in as newly elected politicians fear the unpopularity if their state's residents can no longer use their licenses to fly.
Yes, there was the delay from 2018 to 2020 that I knew of. I wonder how many airlines besides Jet Blue did not post this delay on their websites, causing a premature run for the DMV. The DMV is already swamped with illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California