U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 03:46 PM

2,785 posts, read 5,241,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I did try as far away as Ukiah... about 160 miles away to the North and every office in between to get an appointment.
How about Coalinga? Its 184 miles but no bridge tolls.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Oakl...36.1431855!3e0

I would also try Watsonville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 03:46 PM

13,646 posts, read 11,754,295 times
Quote:
DMV said it was a computer glitch... and that was all...
That's what they told me on the phone. Apparently, it was true since I did receive my tags without a problem.

I applaud you, though, for taking it so far to write your representative. I'm now at the age where I don't give a flying ****.

As for the new California ID, I'm not bothering with that, either. Since I don't travel by plane nor do I enter into federal facilities, I'm going to keep on with the way I've been doing it .... until it doesn't work anymore and then I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. It's my version of living on the edge, being a risk taker so to speak. It's my way of being a daredevil now at this age.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:49 PM

13,646 posts, read 11,754,295 times
Hey Ultra, one suggestion. If you don't have a twitter account, get one. The DMV has a page and I contacted them through it when I was going through this mess. Someone monitoring the account actually contacted me and gave me information on who to contact in the office. They also followed up with me after that. I was quite shocked that something I consider to be so frivolous (twitter) could end up being pretty valuable. Good luck. Hope you get this mess straightened out.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:06 PM

17,585 posts, read 10,050,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
8 hour drive each way to cover 365 miles...

Maybe I can collect unemployment if I am dismissed for not having a license as occasional driving is part of my job description?
I know, right?

Old 09-16-2018, 04:07 PM

27,495 posts, read 56,552,741 times
Except for City Data and a restoration web site... I have no social media... none.

But I also don't own a cell phone or live in a home with cable...

It's ironic that 5 of my colleagues at the Hospital retired this year... all cashed out and left California... 3 landed in AZ of all places... and one in Oregon and one in Nevada... we keep in touch and all said the Driver License and vehicle registration was in and out...

I'm passionate about my cars... and if something were to drive me away from California it most likely will be car related since I have 50 vehicles...

Edit... no disrespect to AZ but I can't tolerate heat well and water restrictions...

Old 09-16-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I know, right?
Never been unemployed... paid in since age 12... but there is always a first time.

I have logger friends that go on unemployment every year when the season shuts down... had school teachers that were temps and would do the same...

Several of my tenants were on it for years... every time it was to end it would be extended...

Old 09-16-2018, 04:13 PM

21,015 posts, read 18,607,157 times
Makes you wonder how these people got so lucky.
Enough with the DMV bashing

Old 09-16-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Makes you wonder how these people got so lucky.
Enough with the DMV bashing
Maybe it is a SF Bay Area problem...

I'm hundreds of miles away from Southern California.

It must work somewhere otherwise the entire state would be up in arms.

One thing I treasure is my life long AAA membership... if I buy or sell a car... the entire transaction typically takes about 15 minutes from arrival to departure...

Unfortunately, at least here, the AAA DMV office does not take thumb prints or pictures...

Which raises another question... just how many times does a person have to give prints to the DMV?

Old 09-16-2018, 05:13 PM

A smart politician would think making the DMV user friendly a priority since it is a first point of State contact for most and ongoing.

Part of my job responsibiities include Hosptial Fire Services... the DMV offices I have visited are grossly overcrowding... in other words the occupant load excedes permisable public assembly... at least if you happen to be a for profit private sector.

My 92 year old neighbor AL got his license at age 12... he lived on a farm in Alameda County and his father was injured in a farm accident... 79 years ago the Hayward Chief of Police issued his licensed at the combination city hall and police department and he has continues to drive ever since... for years he drove a fuel tanker commercially.

Renewing a Drivers License should not be an ordeal...

Old 09-16-2018, 05:20 PM

5,340 posts, read 8,875,107 times
I got my smog done on Saturday. Went home and tried to register online a few hours later but the registration was incomplete. They took money out of my CC anyway. They say they will send me new document to fill out to complete. This didn't happen to me last year.

Perhaps the smog paper didn't go through because they don't work on the weekend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California