U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:52 PM

1,828 posts, read 1,661,087 times

Advertisements

Ai yi yi! That's the longest wait I've heard of. I made my appointment two months in advance of my license's expiration date and was lucky - got an appointment for three days before it actually would expire. And at my town's DMV location. Two friends of mine, whose license expiration dates were within the same week as mine, made their appointments at the same time I did and couldn't get one until three weeks after the license's expiration. So one went to Chico and the other went to Yuba City. We're all in Roseville. They had no problem getting timely appointments there and the drive was worth it.

My appointment was the first one (8AM) on a Saturday. I was in and out of the building (test taking included) in 40 minutes. But I got there at 7:15AM and stood in line, just in case. They separated those of us with appointments from those without and that made it easier.

I went ahead with the RealID even though I have no intention of flying anywhere, going on a military base, or into a federal building. I just figured I'd do it since I was there anyway. It occurred to me that maybe RealID will eventually apply to public transportation like BART or Amtrak. So I'm covered in any case.

The only glitch was that I took my Roseville utility bill as proof of residence. PG&E would have been better. Roseville doesn't put "Roseville" on the line with my street address - it's above it in the masthead. DMV wouldn't accept it! So I trotted out to the car and got my car registration. That worked. Just a word to the wise . . . they're incredibly picky. I also took my birth certificate and SS card - those were fine.

Does anyone know why everyone is in such a hurry to get RealID? I was under the impression that it doesn't go into effect until October 2020. Is there something I don't know?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 02:55 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,491,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Does anyone know why everyone is in such a hurry to get RealID? I was under the impression that it doesn't go into effect until October 2020. Is there something I don't know?
probably they dont have a passport and only the DL is their legit identification?

Old 09-17-2018, 04:20 PM

1,828 posts, read 1,661,087 times
Yeah, that was my first thought. But they have two years to get it done unless there's something we're missing.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:51 PM

13,848 posts, read 11,830,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
WOW just for grins I went to the DMV website in my neck of the woods to set up an appointment to renew my DL and the next date available is:

The first available appointment for this office is on:

Monday, December 24, 2018 at 10:00 AM

I suggest anyone who has a DL renewal coming up within the next 6 months to try and schedule now.
I took your advice. Thanks. I'm registered on the DMV site. Have been for years and always renewed there. This time around, I logged in and found a message telling me I was not eligible to renew online. Sort of like the same problem I incurred about the vehicle registration in August. It did say I could do it by mail or in person but I didn't want to take the chance of having to wait weeks after my renewal date for an appointment. Although, it does say that you can renew up to 90 days after the date without penalty. Still, not taking any chances.

I filled out the application for renewal, printed and signed it, wrote the check and will be sending it off today even though I'm not due to renew til January. If I encounter any problems, I'd rather have a few months to get it fixed than scrambling at the last minute.

Thanks for the tip Matadora. Much appreciated.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:02 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,491,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I took your advice. Thanks. I'm registered on the DMV site. Have been for years and always renewed there. This time around, I logged in and found a message telling me I was not eligible to renew online. Sort of like the same problem I incurred about the vehicle registration in August. It did say I could do it by mail or in person but I didn't want to take the chance of having to wait weeks after my renewal date for an appointment. Although, it does say that you can renew up to 90 days after the date without penalty. Still, not taking any chances.

I filled out the application for renewal, printed and signed it, wrote the check and will be sending it off today even though I'm not due to renew til January. If I encounter any problems, I'd rather have a few months to get it fixed than scrambling at the last minute.

Thanks for the tip Matadora. Much appreciated.
you can renew probably but they wont give you the federally mandated DL.you have to appear there and bring some IDs.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:28 PM

27,572 posts, read 56,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
WOW just for grins I went to the DMV website in my neck of the woods to set up an appointment to renew my DL and the next date available is:

The first available appointment for this office is on:

Monday, December 24, 2018 at 10:00 AM

I suggest anyone who has a DL renewal coming up within the next 6 months to try and schedule now.
Thank you... I'm not typically a ranting idiot... but this thing got under my skin... most say just figure on spending a day in line at the DMV and hope you don't have to come back...

I own about 50 vehicles and DMV was never what it has become... added up all the DMV stuff I do and expense and I can see myself heading for a car friendly State... one where antique cars are registered once for $40 or so and done...

Oregon has no sales tax so moving the collection there is a no brainer... no sales tax and lifetime registration for a one time fee... and no smog checks for 99% of the fleet...

The real problem is I remember a time in California when I was not a DMV unpaid gopher...

Old 09-17-2018, 05:31 PM

27,572 posts, read 56,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Ai yi yi! That's the longest wait I've heard of. I made my appointment two months in advance of my license's expiration date and was lucky - got an appointment for three days before it actually would expire. And at my town's DMV location. Two friends of mine, whose license expiration dates were within the same week as mine, made their appointments at the same time I did and couldn't get one until three weeks after the license's expiration. So one went to Chico and the other went to Yuba City. We're all in Roseville. They had no problem getting timely appointments there and the drive was worth it.

My appointment was the first one (8AM) on a Saturday. I was in and out of the building (test taking included) in 40 minutes. But I got there at 7:15AM and stood in line, just in case. They separated those of us with appointments from those without and that made it easier.

I went ahead with the RealID even though I have no intention of flying anywhere, going on a military base, or into a federal building. I just figured I'd do it since I was there anyway. It occurred to me that maybe RealID will eventually apply to public transportation like BART or Amtrak. So I'm covered in any case.

The only glitch was that I took my Roseville utility bill as proof of residence. PG&E would have been better. Roseville doesn't put "Roseville" on the line with my street address - it's above it in the masthead. DMV wouldn't accept it! So I trotted out to the car and got my car registration. That worked. Just a word to the wise . . . they're incredibly picky. I also took my birth certificate and SS card - those were fine.

They are incredibly picky... my 85 year old neighbor was in tears... she said the Hell with It and asked me to drive her home... she has no current ID and said it is someone else's problem... she said "Young Lady, do you know what an imposition it was just to get here... I brought everything and now you tell me my Social Security card is worn out and to get a new one?

Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 PM

11,757 posts, read 5,764,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
you can renew probably but they wont give you the federally mandated DL.you have to appear there and bring some IDs.
This is what a CHP officer told me as well.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
I knew that about the ID card. As I said in a previous post, I have no need for one so that doesn't bother me. I was more concerned about my regular license and seeing how I wasn't able to renew online (as I had in previous years) I'm glad I took Matadora's advice.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
They are incredibly picky... my 85 year old neighbor was in tears... she said the Hell with It and asked me to drive her home... she has no current ID and said it is someone else's problem... she said "Young Lady, do you know what an imposition it was just to get here... I brought everything and now you tell me my Social Security card is worn out and to get a new one?
Unbelievable! And these government offices wonder why people are upset with them. At 85, your neighbor must be completely disgusted with what's happened to the state. I know I would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California