U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:08 PM

14,531 posts, read 17,000,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Your SMOG cert has to be transmitted by the Smog station to BAR, who then transmit it to DMV. Unless the Smog station keyed in something wrong, it generally is done within 1 to 3 days. But right after the appointment--unlikely.
ditto
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Ok, people. I've been reading all the DMV threads.

I'm the one that usually comes on here to answer DMV questions, and direct people what best to do.

But this thing with Real ID? I got nothing.

DMV has known about this since like 2004 or 2005. They knew exactly how many people would be involved and could take a reasonable guess on how many would want to rush in.

I really thought there would be mass temporary hiring to handle the influx of customers. Or unlimited overtime. Or something to make this happen.

I don't have a clue who's idea this was to "business as usual" this. I don't know if the Legislature didn't come through with enough money for advance hiring or what.

But this whole thing has been a fiasco that seriously didn't need to happen like this.

That's all I got.
Most people won't care about RealID. And we still have almost 2 years to comply if we wish to use our CDL as RealID.

I'm pretty sure my passport booklet or passport card will suffice, but I'd rather have it on my CDL.

Again: we got about 2 years before we have to care. And most of us won't care.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I reached out to my elected representative and was told it has been a hot issue all summer...

The best they could recommend is to simply show up at the office and wait it out...

He did not have an answer as to why my renewal states in bold I am required to complete online application and when I do... it says to renew by mail as I am not eligible...

As to Real ID which doesn't apply to my situation... it is almost as if California and the Washington at at odds and the taxpayer is caught in the middle.. at least this is the impression I'm getting.
Being told to simply show up at the office and wait it out is IMO almost as insensitive as to recommend to a woman if she is getting raped to just sit back and enjoy the sex.

The DMV situation is not that bad, but it's disgraceful that your representative could come up with nothing better than this.

I translate your rep's comment as, "If you think it's that bad, elect somebody other than me in the next election."

We don't need representatives who don't represent. Elect their competitiors the next election and see if they do better. (Probably not. The system is entrenched. DMV has been dismal for at least a half century.)

Old 09-17-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
WOW just for grins I went to the DMV website in my neck of the woods to set up an appointment to renew my DL and the next date available is:

The first available appointment for this office is on:

Monday, December 24, 2018 at 10:00 AM

I suggest anyone who has a DL renewal coming up within the next 6 months to try and schedule now.
Have a merry Xmas eve!

Yeah, I would surely rather stand in line at DMV Christmas eve than shop for presents or toast the holiday with friends and family.

They should close the damned DMV office on Xmas eve.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I went ahead with the RealID even though I have no intention of flying anywhere, going on a military base, or into a federal building. I just figured I'd do it since I was there anyway. It occurred to me that maybe RealID will eventually apply to public transportation like BART or Amtrak. So I'm covered in any case.

The only glitch was that I took my Roseville utility bill as proof of residence. PG&E would have been better. Roseville doesn't put "Roseville" on the line with my street address - it's above it in the masthead. DMV wouldn't accept it! So I trotted out to the car and got my car registration. That worked. Just a word to the wise . . . they're incredibly picky. I also took my birth certificate and SS card - those were fine.
Like me I took way too much docco to my passport appointment. IMO you should explore the whole list of acceptable docco and bring multiple backups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Does anyone know why everyone is in such a hurry to get RealID? I was under the impression that it doesn't go into effect until October 2020. Is there something I don't know?
Many like me just feel that as long as it's going to be the law we might as well just get it now.

My own reason is that I am planning a lot of international travel in the next several years, and it seems to me that having too much ID is better than having too little ID.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I did and was told it is just the way things are right now...
'Runner, I have focused on your topic because I sympathize so much with you. I have been reading your posts (and liking them) for years, which is why we are friends. You are one of the best information sources in CA and I've benefited much from your advice.

You are so crazy profitable and sage in rentals, I'm nonplussed to see you brought down by CA DMV.

This is just f*****g insane!

If you, one of our most knowledgeable resources (and moderators) are taken down, then what does that mean for our ordinary, average intelligence members?

California is f*****g we citizens over, and not even kissing us afterwards. If I get f*****d at least I expect to get kissed after.

This is the worst CA DMV abuse topic I have ever seen.

ETA:

Please excuse my multiple replies. This subject outrages me. I started my focus before dinner, cooked dinner, had a call from a GF, finished dinner, and now I've updated the topic.

We have to find a way to fix DMV. DMV has always been horrible, but this situation that you can't make an appointment and must line around the block to renew your CDL is just absolutely unreasonable.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:01 PM

27,494 posts, read 56,541,715 times
Just venting for now... have another approach I may take... will see how it works out.

On a separate note... I have seriously considered getting an occupational license... it would eliminate the need for individual registration fees, etc... there are Dealer, Transporter, etc...

Know someone that did this and said it was well worth it... buys and sells a little on the side and enjoys that too... zoning is the drawback I would need to overcome.

My real beef with the Driver License is DMV senda out a notice 11 weeks ahead and should "Know" there are no appointment slots available anywhere within a 150 miles... along with the couple of online hours I wasted to enter in each office location looking for next available slot and finding all after the due date...

Old 09-17-2018, 11:11 PM

'Runner, I rarely see you start topics! You usually fix topics, particularly in real estate and renting sections (where we are both landlords).

I don't know anybody with even a fraction of your cars. The closest I can get is "S" who owns about 6-7 vehicles, and he's into building engines, body work, shooting paint. (A retired man.)

You have ... 5 dozen cars? ... I would think your application as "occupational license" would be accepted pro forma and I guess you would just be automatically accepted. My only question would be if the new license paperwork turns out to be worse than standing in line for you CDL.

Remember, we can all bypass DMV for all but the very rarest vehicle registration problems. Most of it can be done online (DMV) or via AAA, except for our bone of contention: drivers licenses.

I don't see ow your occupational license solves anything for you. I think all your vehicle registrations can be handled online other than smog inspections.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:21 PM

27,494 posts, read 56,541,715 times
Occupational License has special DMV window for most services but a Dealer plate or similar means registration is not required to operate the vehicle and the same for smog... so it would save a bundle in registration fees...

It would do nothing for the drivers license... just being able to operate all the vehicles by moving one license plate from car to car... excluding the two modern that are daily drivers.

I have 27 vehicles insured... so quite a few... oldest is 1905 Curved Dash Oldsmobile, and at least one from every decade going forward.

If I still kept them all registered... the annual reg fees would be over 4k... so most are Non-Op now...

Old 09-18-2018, 07:37 AM

21,009 posts, read 18,599,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Most people won't care about RealID. And we still have almost 2 years to comply
Anyone who travels by plane frequently cares, and we'll have to hop to it if we aren't able to get a DMV appointment for months.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...alid/realidfaq
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California