Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 11:39 AM

631 posts, read 562,552 times

Advertisements

I know this is a loaded question because these days many consider assimilation a bad thing... and that people should have the right to hold on to the culture of their national origin. BUT, it does cause concern among some people living in the U.S. that Americans are becoming balkanized because of this. Some point to California as a case in point... Is there evidence of a lack of assimilation or balkanization in California among *Hispanics* or Latinos vis-à-vis other Californians?

Old 09-28-2018, 11:48 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
i really dont care about them assimilating but everybody should speak english. speak whatever language you want in your homes.

am an immigrant myself and have to pass IELTS before they gave me my greencard.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:56 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,698,539 times
As a white American of European origin who has lived as the 1% of the non-hispanic population in many LA-area neighborhoods, and as the 98% of white nth-generation of Euro-Americans in other parts of the state and country, yes, they act like Americans. Califonia is only "Balkanized" in the minds of frightened xenophobic conspiracy-theorist snowflakes. We all get along just fine.

I have lived and worked with FOB-to-nth-generation, professional-to-blue-collar, Latin American white and non-white hispanics, and they're just like every other American. They have cultural festivals that celebrate their heritage, they may or may know a little or be fluent in a language other than English, but they are otherwise indistinguishable from our European/Asian/African/Whatever-American neighbors and friends.

As a matter of personal preference, I rank Latin-America-Americans near the upper-middle of my list of favorites; below Asian-Americans but above Italian-Americans. They throw great parties. They focus on family over education. I'm happy to have hispanic neighbors move in.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:59 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
here we go

Old 09-28-2018, 03:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Hispanics are part of the original and current culture here OP. This is ridiculous.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:26 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
EVERY culture assimilates to a degree with every succeeding generation.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:36 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
Looking at OP's list of recent posts, s/he seems to be rather focused on race, "cultural issues", etc. on multiple threads across this site. "Franco-American Culture in New England", "Why was the white race(anglo saxon) so successful?", "Was Persia conquered by an inferior civilization (the Muslim Arabs)?", "When Africans Meet African-Americans", ...

Hmmmm.

I think this will be my only post on this thread.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:51 PM

145 posts, read 104,407 times
In my observation the Hispanic are assimilating fine, at least better than Chinese. Also the assimilation goes both way. While Hispanic are becoming more American, Americans are also picking up some Hispanic cultural traits, foods being the most obvious one.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:16 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I know this is a loaded question because these days many consider assimilation a bad thing... and that people should have the right to hold on to the culture of their national origin. BUT, it does cause concern among some people living in the U.S. that Americans are becoming balkanized because of this. Some point to California as a case in point... Is there evidence of a lack of assimilation or balkanization in California among *Hispanics* or Latinos vis-à-vis other Californians?
Define "Hispanic assimilation". It's all relative. They're no more, or less, assimilated, than California's and NYC's Russian enclaves. Does anyone complain about that? no, they don't. For some reason, they only feel threatened by the thought of brown people not assimilating.

Much ado about nothing.

P.S. BTW, I live in New Mexico, a Hispanic state, with close to a 10% Native American population, as well. Here, the diversity is regarded as an asset. Life would be pretty boring, if everyone were the same, don't you think? Spare me from a white-bread, monolingual world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California