Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you vote on Prop 2?
Yes 2 12.50%
No 14 87.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 04:09 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,244,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If housing is needed for "mentally ill" to live in, they should be setup in institutions like the rest of the world does it.
Agree. But, I believe it must be done by the government again, and not privatized. Care suffers when profits are involved.

And, we need to honor a mentally ill person's right to not be institutionalized against their will, unless they are a serious threat to society. They shouldn't be prisons. And we need to provide them with advocates.

We do actually have a lot of services in place now, for these types of patients. For instance, my mother is in a locked Altzheimer's facility in the Bay Area. She has social workers who check on her, and the county is her conservator and a county legal service makes sure her rights are protected and advocate for her, as well. She has a team making sure she's okay. And when her money runs out, she'll be able to get Medi-Cal to cover her housing, plus she'll still keep her other county services.

So, this is an example of how counties are already providing a lot of services for mentally ill patients. If we move that money into a pot saying it must be used only for homeless mentally ill patients, patients like my mother who is severely mentally ill, but not homeless, could lose some services.

I think the counties do a good job with what they have and know their own populations.

I'm in a different county, and I use the mental health facilities here and get decent care, too, even though they're on a shoestring. And I'm also not homeless, but need these services, too. As do autistic kids who aren't homeless, on and on.

It's a shame voters don't as a rule have time to really research propositions. They may just see something they can vote on that says it will get homeless people housing and services, but not understand that it means counties will lose funding for services they provide to everyone already - including homeless patients.

Maybe I should learn how to write propositions. Like whoever wrote Prop 13. As I recall, the entire text was something like one paragraph and easy enough for anyone to understand. I'd like to write one something like this:

"Should counties be able to keep their existing funding and any future increases to their funding so that they can continue to provide mental health services to all residents and continue to help find housing for all residents including the homeless, without any future proposition or state government action ever changing the funding amount?"

Vote yes on Proposition NoMoreSnowForMe! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Are you not safe where you're living now Snow? Were you safer in Crescent City or Redding? Do you regret moving? In what way is the security lacking?

Living where you don't feel safe is the pitts, especially when you live alone....major anxiety....I know. I live back off the road behind locked gates, and yet I've still had a ton of my stuff stolen although nothing from my house...yet. I'm waiting for the inevitable home break in.

Thanks for the proposition info. Good analysis in that post. Appreciate it.
I feel safe inside my apartment, and in the hallways during the day. Unfortunately, we have a problem with car break-ins and thefts mainly in the underground garage. It's easy for anyone to get into our building, and once they have access even into the garage, they can access all of the common areas and hallways.

I pitched a campaign to get better security, after my truck was broken into in the underground garage, and after spamming the mayor and every possible other entity that has any kind of oversight of this building, including the owner and CEO and inspectors, etc., they did finally get a security guard who walks through the building once a night - which isn't nearly enough. They refuse to put in security cameras. They are all about profit and they make enormous profits.

If you want to learn about how these investors have really rigged the system, this is a great documentary on the subject of the enormous profits there are in low-income, for-profit housing, with basically zero government oversight:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...cs-and-profit/

My building is in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood, too. Tenants have had their cars stolen parked out on the street - and even from inside the underground garage. There are homeless that roam around outside at night, especially. I just always try to be in my apartment by dark and avoid the garage until morning.

The locations of all of the low-income places I've lived in have all been in sketchy neighborhoods. I'd say the security was best in the building in Redding. They did have security cameras and the management was really good about kicking out tenants who let people inside who they shouldn't - or who had friends who visited who caused problems, etc. So, the management was much better about taking care of problems in Redding as far as security issues. The manager there was an ex-cop, though, so that's probably why.

I'll stay where I am, though, because my apartment is quiet and I now have Section 8 and a bedroom and a balcony. I know for someone in my situation, this is as good as it gets. And I just harangue the management on a regular basis, so it doesn't get any worse.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:30 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,364,377 times
Wow Snow, I feel mightily for you. No security cameras sucks. Those things are not expensive. I just bought four of them for less than $200 and they give a really clear picture. I let all the neighbors know that I have them and guess what.......no more thefts, lol. And it won't do them any good to steal or break them because the video goes to the cloud and can be retrieved at any time. I can view them on my phone or my tablet and they alert me when motion is detected.

I also have one of those emergency alert devices that you wear. It runs on the verizon network so I can pretty much go anywhere with it. Push the button and someone comes on and gives whatever assistance I might need. It's already saved my life once.

I guess if all else fails, there's always my 410 varmint eliminator What a world we now live in.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Wow Snow, I feel mightily for you. No security cameras sucks. Those things are not expensive. I just bought four of them for less than $200 and they give a really clear picture. I let all the neighbors know that I have them and guess what.......no more thefts, lol. And it won't do them any good to steal or break them because the video goes to the cloud and can be retrieved at any time. I can view them on my phone or my tablet and they alert me when motion is detected.

I also have one of those emergency alert devices that you wear. It runs on the verizon network so I can pretty much go anywhere with it. Push the button and someone comes on and gives whatever assistance I might need. It's already saved my life once.

I guess if all else fails, there's always my 410 varmint eliminator What a world we now live in.
Ha! Good for you! Yeah, it's ridiculous that they won't install security cameras here. It think it's more a matter of them not wanting to pay labor to their managers or whomever to view the recordings or spend time providing them to the police, etc. They are so squeaky about profits, it's scandalous.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:59 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,229,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Ha! Good for you! Yeah, it's ridiculous that they won't install security cameras here. It think it's more a matter of them not wanting to pay labor to their managers or whomever to view the recordings or spend time providing them to the police, etc. They are so squeaky about profits, it's scandalous.
Try writing about it to your local paper and see if they will expose it. Many love such stories and to be the first to break the news on it. Use any name you have in it of management, etc., too.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:41 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,779,448 times
Quote:
... if you look at the wording of the proposition, they have written in expensive administrative costs for the private developers.
Wait. You're saying the government wants expensive administrative costs to be borne by private developers???

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you. Round up the usual suspects.

Quote:
... And I'm just so irritated with the state legislature and the governor with the way they move funds around that were earmarked and even specifically voted on by CA residents to be used only for a certain purpose - without asking us if that's okay with us after the fact.
Respectfully, I don't think you should be irritated.

I think you should be outraged. I think you should do everything in your power to vote the incumbents out.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:50 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,779,448 times
Quote:
There is another issue.

With the explosion in security cameras, the police don't have the manpower to spend time evaluating visual evidence of a crime. They perform triage. Simple car break-ins are pretty low on the list of priorities. Now, if a bad guy injures or kills someone, that's another matter.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
There is another issue.

With the explosion in security cameras, the police don't have the manpower to spend time evaluating visual evidence of a crime. They perform triage. Simple car break-ins are pretty low on the list of priorities. Now, if a bad guy injures or kills someone, that's another matter.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California