U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How will you vote on Prop 6?
Yes 50 61.73%
No 31 38.27%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2018, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
38,073 posts, read 17,913,505 times
Reputation: 27973

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wth does your hatred of Trump have to do with anything in this thread about State taxes? Deflect much? You've already bragged on and on about your "State Pension". Start a thread in P O C if you want to smash your head against the wall about your love/hate relationship with our POTUS. Which is pretty entertaining btw. Keep it coming.
I will start a thread anywhere I want thank you. I don't give a hoot about what you think about my posts but if they bother you, you have the ability to ignore them, if you need help with that function contact a moderator.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2018, 10:22 PM
 
Location: SoCal
3,877 posts, read 3,026,571 times
Reputation: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Classic answer. So when you have problems with accountability caused by politicians, the best thing to do is ignore it. Yeah, don't think so. How about you starve the beast until they can show some accountability and transparency. And if they refuse, vote them out and find someone that will. I think my car can handle the roads in the meantime, but of course, Californians would never get rid of the people they voted in to make these problems. Besides, we have a budget surplus, remember?

Check it out man, we're rich! They don't need no stinkin' taxes.

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2018/0...t-to-help-poor
Starve the beast after the roads are paved!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 12:16 AM
 
1,204 posts, read 587,792 times
Reputation: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Starve the beast after the roads are paved!!
You've got $9 billion. Have at it. And while the state is spending that, we can starve that beast now and start prioritizing that spending. We may have to explain to many of the people in this state that Santa Claus doesn't exist and to quote a Rolling Stones song..."you can't always get what you want....but if you try sometime you find, you get what you need. Some of us would like to surround ourselves with people that understand the difference (as opposed to the cult like, group thinkers that are prevalent in the state and think the answers to all problems is to throw money at it without regards to waste and corruption).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 01:53 AM
 
5,550 posts, read 2,414,033 times
Reputation: 3440
The only reason I want to vote yes is because the gas tax was passed without putting it to a vote for the citizens. I'm wondering if that is a good enough reason?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 07:28 AM
 
5,338 posts, read 8,869,999 times
Reputation: 7656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
The only reason I want to vote yes is because the gas tax was passed without putting it to a vote for the citizens. I'm wondering if that is a good enough reason?
That is the best reason, but if you are not sure, do more research (and I don't mean reading newspaper opinion articles) and vote with the clarity, conviction and confidence of someone who can think independently.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
38,073 posts, read 17,913,505 times
Reputation: 27973
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
You've got $9 billion. Have at it. And while the state is spending that, we can starve that beast now and start prioritizing that spending. We may have to explain to many of the people in this state that Santa Claus doesn't exist and to quote a Rolling Stones song..."you can't always get what you want....but if you try sometime you find, you get what you need. Some of us would like to surround ourselves with people that understand the difference (as opposed to the cult like, group thinkers that are prevalent in the state and think the answers to all problems is to throw money at it without regards to waste and corruption).
Great idea, use the surplus for road repairs then if we have a recession the state can just borrow money and pay it back over the next 20 years like Schwarzenegger did.

The bill would have provided 5.1 billion a year for infrastructure, using the surplus will fund infrastructure repairs for less than 2 years, what do we do after that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 08:16 AM
 
1,204 posts, read 587,792 times
Reputation: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Great idea, use the surplus for road repairs then if we have a recession the state can just borrow money and pay it back over the next 20 years like Schwarzenegger did.

The bill would have provided 5.1 billion a year for infrastructure, using the surplus will fund infrastructure repairs for less than 2 years, what do we do after that?
Sounds like you better get moving on deciding which projects to defund and putting systems in place to stop all the waste. Then prioritize that money to the roads. There you go. You're lucky you have 2 years. Where's Dave when you need him?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
38,073 posts, read 17,913,505 times
Reputation: 27973
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Sounds like you better get moving on deciding which projects to defund and putting systems in place to stop all the waste. Then prioritize that money to the roads. There you go. You're lucky you have 2 years.
very mature and well thought out response
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 08:29 AM
 
1,204 posts, read 587,792 times
Reputation: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
very mature and well thought out response
Glad you enjoyed it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Paranoid State
13,045 posts, read 11,672,152 times
Reputation: 15769
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
For one reason, labor costs more here. You can't get around that.
Yes, you can get around that. Public works projects including roads, by statute, are not staffed at labor rates determined by the market wage. In practice California's "prevailing wage" law requires contractors to pay the maximum wage found and prevents contractors from using even moderately priced labor let alone low-cost labor.

If California scrapped its stupid prevailing wage law, then it would cost less to build & repair roads.

A better proposition would be one that requires an INCREASED allocation of EXISTING tax revenue to road repair. It should be prioritized above the mindless bureaucracy of state government. The first dollars into the state coffers should go to road repair.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top