Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you vote on Prop 6?
Yes 50 61.73%
No 31 38.27%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 03:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

I know there is another thread about Prop 6, but I'd like to include a poll on this one, if that's okay with the moderators.

I have really see-sawed on making my decision on how to vote for this proposition. I've done a bunch of research, and my decision is to vote no.

I really felt like voting yes at first, just because I like the idea of putting the decision to the voters whenever there is a new gas tax proposed. But, I've learned a lot about gas taxes in CA and what I learned changed my mind - even though, it still irks me to not have the choice to vote on all taxes.

I learned that our state legislature can vote in a new tax with a 2/3 majority, without asking for our permission to approve it. Yes, this can still be irritating. But, then I learned that we haven't had a state gas tax increase in over 20 years.

I also learned the reason why repairing roads in CA costs a lot more than it does in other states. So, when Cox uses the data he uses from a biased source that says the only reason our roads cost more money, is because of waste, etc., that's not actually based on facts, from what I can tell.

This article explains it pretty well - why our roads cost more:

https://calmatters.org/articles/cali...od-to-be-true/

For one reason, labor costs more here. You can't get around that. For another, we have a lot of roads that are crumbling into the sea, or are affected by mudslides and harsh weather.

And, one reason I had also never considered, is the fact that so much of our road repairs must be done during the night, so that traffic and congestion isn't horrific. That alone, apparently, increases costs by 30%.

And, the study Cox used was giving equal cost per mile - whether it was a 2-lane road in Kentucky without traffic congestion - and - a 14 lane freeway in Southern CA. They're just apples vs. oranges.

Finally, I have seen the roads being repaired like they haven't been in decades and decades all around where I drive. So, the money is not being wasted, in my opinion. Not when you can see the crews out every day and old pot holes being filled and roads being paved, etc., etc.

So, yes, I would rather be asked, and yes, I hate another tax - but - taxes that actually fix something before my eyes, I think I can live with. And, once I learned this tax hadn't been raised in over 20 years, unfortunately, it then doesn't seem so unreasonable.

So, I'm voting no. Would welcome your comments and discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 03:47 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
12 cents a gallon tax? Who notices when you’re paying $3.50+ for fuel? If you can’t afford 12 cents a gallon tax then either drive less, like 3 miles less per week or buy a car that gets 1 mpg better gas mileage.

Voting No.

IMO the feds should increase their gas tax to finance infrastuce. 5 cents. The high cost of fuel is not a tax issue. It’s an oil company issue.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:58 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I am voting Yes. I am tired of Sacramento politicians taking our money. I also object to the higher registration fees. People who don't have a car will likely push it into the No category. I know the price is not much per fill up, but I am not convinced all the money will go to road repairs, for long.

I will be voting No on most bond measures, I am still undecided on the county wide ones.

One town wide ballot measure is to extend an increase in sales tax to fund fire , police & street maintenance, I will be voting yes on that. At least the money will be kept in town, & everyone will have to pay, & benefit.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:08 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
12 cents a gallon tax? Who notices when you’re paying $3.50+ for fuel? If you can’t afford 12 cents a gallon tax then either drive less, like 3 miles less per week or buy a car that gets 1 mpg better gas mileage.

Voting No.

IMO the feds should increase their gas tax to finance infrastuce. 5 cents. The high cost of fuel is not a tax issue. It’s an oil company issue.
That's not the point of the recall. You are free to send Sacramento a check on your own. Don't force all of us to participate in the pension Ponzi scheme.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:10 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I am voting Yes. I am tired of Sacramento politicians taking our money. I also object to the higher registration fees. People who don't have a car will likely push it into the No category. I know the price is not much per fill up, but I am not convinced all the money will go to road repairs, for long.

I will be voting No on most bond measures, I am still undecided on the county wide ones.

One town wide ballot measure is to extend an increase in sales tax to fund fire , police & street maintenance, I will be voting yes on that. At least the money will be kept in town, & everyone will have to pay, & benefit.
Are you referring to Sacramento city's measure U? This is a measure sponsored by the firefighter union. Yeah right, these people really stay up at night worrying about the ghetto neighborhoods they have to work in. No, it's all about getting taxpayers to pay their benefits and pensions. Any candidate, prop, measure sponsored or endorsed by public employee unions get a NO vote from me.

Last edited by davidt1; 10-17-2018 at 04:29 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 04:15 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
No I am referring to V in Paradise

https://ballotpedia.org/Paradise,_Ca...(November_2018)

It is a small town & we are surrounded by forest, so fire protection is important.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:19 PM

3,882 posts, read 4,534,690 times
I have to do way more homework on this, but the problem I hear people grumble about is the money that was already supposed to go to roadwork gets diverted. Some claim a lot of our taxes we think are going to what we expected are used for example to fund state worker's pensions that were promised to them. I don't if this is true, but I do have a hard time handing over money to people if they aren't responsible with it.
Again, I don't really know... sometimes things "sound" nice and worthwhile, but I'm so jaded with politicians in general...

Old 10-17-2018, 04:41 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
Thank you, Snow, for the succinct analyses of the CA propositions. After reading your posts, I went back and read through the AG's synopses in the ballot book (didn't we used to get the full text of these things? There were often some real whoppers hidden in the fine print). I've decided to vote no on all of them except 11 and 12. I'm abstaining on Prop 7 (it would make sense to go to permanent DST, but this proposition will have no effect). So thank you for nudging me to reconsider a number of them.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:16 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I learned that our state legislature can vote in a new tax with a 2/3 majority, without asking for our permission to approve it. Yes, this can still be irritating. But, then I learned that we haven't had a state gas tax increase in over 20 years.
Do you not want to Know how they used your money first before you write them another check? Were 100% of infrastructure funds used to repair roads? Answer should be yes before they get another dime from us.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
That's not the point of the recall. You are free to send Sacramento a check on your own. Don't force all of us to participate in the pension Ponzi scheme.
I don’t know where you live but since the 12 cent tax was put in place I have seen a boatload of highway repairs occur. And BTW you don’t seem to know what a Ponzi scheme is. Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California