Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you vote on Prop 12 (farm animal enclosures)?
Yes 11 68.75%
No 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:01 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Ok janellen et al ... more on pigs:

California sheriff's deputies use Doritos to round up loose pig

Just today, Doritos saved the bacon!

I'll see your Dorritos pig and raise you one. Careful this is kind of disgusting................fascinating, but disgusting.

https://youtu.be/RCdri14tJ50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 12:23 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I'll see your Dorritos pig and raise you one. Careful this is kind of disgusting................fascinating, but disgusting.

https://youtu.be/RCdri14tJ50
Janellen ... I was in the Navy ... by choice ... I know that pig ...

Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Janellen ... I was in the Navy ... by choice ... I know that pig ...

LMAO Ok, I give.....you win the one-upsmanship contest.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:35 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
Another yes vote!

Old 10-15-2018, 03:59 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
We voted on this and it passed in 2008 on Prop 2. Why do we have to vote on this again?

https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...Animals_(2008)

Old 10-15-2018, 04:03 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
We voted on this and it passed in 2008 on Prop 2. Why do we have to vote on this again?

I think the one in 2008 was for chickens, & not other animals, Someone can correct me, as I am not sure.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:47 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
There must be more to this proposition than it appears on the surface. Here's an excerpt from a link to a website that's against it. There look to be a LOT of people and organizations against this proposition.

Proposition 12 is an outright scam.

This measure was co-written by United Egg Producers and would explicitly legalize cruel battery cages in California until at least 2022. And it would forever confine hens inside massive factory farms that restrict hens to only one square foot floor space per bird!

No one should fall for HSUS's bogus claims that it will regulate the sale and production of veal and pork from other states. That cynical and constitutionally flawed window dressing will never survive the inevitable years of legal challenges. It was only inserted into the initiative to distract from its massive sell-out to the egg industry.

Find out why Californians Against Cruelty, Cages, and Fraud, the Humane Farming Association (HFA), Friends of Animals (FoA), People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), and many others are strongly opposing the measure. Please visit NoOnProposition12.org

https://stoptherottenegginitiative.org/

Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post

Prop 12 may legalize the cages that we voted to prohibit on Prop 2. Not good.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Default How are you voting on Prop 12 (farm animals) ?

My first thought on this proposition was - didn't we just vote on this? But, it turns out this one just fixes some problems with the one we recently passed on chickens having enough space to turn around, where the space needed to turn around - needed to be more specific.

This one also bans the sale of meat from out of state that doesn't meet California's requirements for the farms within California. This explained to me why the meat industry in CA isn't throwing any money at this proposition, opposing it, which I was trying to figure out.

So, it puts our animal farmers on a more equal footing with their competitors from out of state, who don't have the same requirements as our in-state farmers.

That just seems fair.

I had to do the math on how much space this new proposition actually worked out to, for the animals named in it. It breaks down like this:

Chickens - 1 square foot per chicken = a space 1 foot by 1 foot
and they'd have to be cage-free by 2020, which can just mean a big barn full of chickens instead of in cages

Pigs - 24 square feet per pig = a space almost 5 feet by 5 feet. This allows them to turn around.

Calves - 43 square feet per calf = a space about 6.5 feet by 6.5 feet. This allows them to turn around.

I did find some really disturbing videos online that show these animals in smaller cages that they can't turn around in, but I'm going to spare you from watching them. But, they're out there, if you want to see what they're actually like.

This proposition just also makes enforcement of the law simpler - if the dimensions are specified.

I'm all for more humane farming, and although I'm a vegan, I don't have a problem with other people eating meat. I used to raise my own pigs to eat and sell, and always treated them really well and gave them lots of room to run around and dig in the dirt. Only seems fair. And I like that this gives California farmers a more level playing field with out-of-state farmers who aren't required to be humane in their state - but would be forced to do so, if they want to sell their meat in CA.

And, as I say, there is no opposition to this proposition from CA farmers, which says a lot.

So, I'm a yes on Prop 12.

I'd welcome your opinions. I did make this poll a public poll, in case we end up with out-of-state farmers skewing the results.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:04 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
Pigs - 24 square feet per pig = a space almost 5 feet by 5 feet. This allows them to turn around.
This would also allow enough room for a K-turn and parallel parking.

I'm voting "vegetarian".
Animals deserve better treatment across the boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California