Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 05:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
What you say does not contradict anything I say. My post mentioned that California drains people to other states and has done so for a couple of decades, note that I say "was always seen" not "is seen". And I did not mention immigrants from other countries as that's not really the topic here.

But obviously this was not always the case. California had less than 1.5 million people in 1900. By 1950 it was 10.7 million, by 1990 it was 30 million. Some of that growth came via immigrants, but a whole lot of it came from people out of state moving there.

Almost every "anglo" (i.e. white or black) person born in the state of California has a story of at least a parent, grandparent or great-grandparent who came to California from elsewhere in the country...which makes sense given there weren't all that many Anglos in California before the 1920s.

California was one of the main domestic destinations for people elsewhere in the U.S. for much of the 20th century. The idea of 'going to California' is deeply embedded in modern American culture. The fact that this trend reversed in the 90s has only slowly entered the public consciousness if at all. There's still a whole lot of portrayals in movies and TV of people who moved to California to 'make it' and very few portrayals of "ex-Californians". And of course, thats because for a certain, well-educated and well-connected part of the population the dream of moving to California is still very much a thing while the population groups that are leaving California tend to be not very interesting to the media.
Yes for most of the 20th Century it was a place to move to. I was born and raised in CA and saw it go that way and then change and I have lived in LA, OC, SD Counties and the I.E. Now it is going the other way.

Most of the kids I knew in school and have some contact with or know about, have left CA and many could easily afford to stay.

The well educated and well connected are some of the ones moving to CA, but again many highly educated and well connected have left. Many well educated and well connected do not want to waste their money in CA

The middle class is slowly shrinking. The growth is not Citizens moving in, rather birth and foreign immigrants. V

Still my favorite State as a location, but the quality of life there is going down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 05:29 PM

661 posts, read 691,293 times
Hahah there's no other state forum on City-Data that has to put up with this BS. People aren't creating regular threads in the Texas forum listing out reasons why Texas sucks and encouraging Texans to move out of their state. It's amazing what people spend their energy on. Why aren't these threads locked on sight? They're obviously disingenuous.

Hate us cause you ain't us

Old 10-29-2018, 05:47 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There's good reason to believe that since 2000 over a million Californians have moved to Texas. (It was 600,000 between 2004 and 2013 according to the Sacramento Bee).

Of course in the same time span a good number of Texans have also moved to California, but according to the California state legislature itself the period between 2007 and 2016 saw a net loss of nearly 300,000 between California and Texas i.e. 300,000 more Californians moved to Texas than vice versa.

... etc etc etc ..
Why is this a problem for you? Why is it even of interest to you? Why should California keep adding more and more people ... or even keep all the too many it has? Why does it need to be “NUMBER 1!” in so many peoples’ minds?

Many people - probably most people - who live in Nebraska really like their home state. It’s not number 1 in anything ... except maybe hog farming? Who cares?

Old 10-29-2018, 05:54 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Why is this a problem for you? Why is it even of interest to you? Why should California keep adding more and more people ... or even keep all the too many it has? Why does it need to be “NUMBER 1!” in so many peoples’ minds?

Many people - probably most people - who live in Nebraska really like their home state. It’s not number 1 in anything ... except maybe hog farming? Who cares?
That would be Iowa. Nebraska's a bit further down that list.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:29 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,990 times
California is like Disneyland. On a day without a lot of crowds, it's magical.

On a crowded day it is hell.

I was born there and watched 1.5 million people move into my county in my lifetime.

Anybody who says they like traffic and inconveniently large crowds is probably profiting from it in some way.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:38 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
That would be Iowa. Nebraska's a bit further down that list.
Ok. Lots of hogs but not #1!

Let’s see ...
Aha! “UNL was rated top university for tailgating!” Whoo-hoo!!!
Also: “Nebraska is the number 1 state for cattle feeding!”

We’re ramping up!

“Nebraska has more underground water reserves than any other!”
“Nebraska has #1 rated zoo in the country!”

Ok! So we see that even Nebraska is a #1 kinda place.

If you took away the tailgating, the cattle feeding, and the zoo ...
I’m betting Nebraskans would still love their state.

So, is it ok for some of us Californians to love California even if we lose a bunch of folks? Like maybe 20 million or so? Which is about how many came here since I did.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:40 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
The funny thing with threads like these is that if they were in another state forum like WA, the locals would be agreeing and telling people to leave or simply not bother coming at all. Yes, its terrible. Stay where you are, please! lol There's a stark contrast in overall tone. Here's one of quite a few examples: If you're thinking of moving to Bellingham, don't!

Basically, Washingtonians are tired of Californians, Texans, et al flooding into their state and they're not shy about saying so. Whereas in CA, we are so used to being a melting pot and world destination that it's actually normal and expected that more people want to move here. It's apart of our DNA and US history. And yes, let's face it, most locals truly believe there is no better state when considering all things combined: weather, geographic diversity, seemingly endless outdoor activities, beaches, mountains, deserts, redwood forests, international cuisine, technological innovation, professional opportunities, etc... But it really is ok if some want to leave and move to TX, FL, AR, OK, et al. Maybe that will be their new shangri la for those looking for a new start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEN0BBFBVYk

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-29-2018 at 08:01 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 08:04 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
But it really is ok if some want to leave and move to TX, FL, AR or OK. Maybe that will be their new shangri la for those looking for a new start?
We'd LOVE it if they moved! What we DON'T love is people posting about how much they hate our state while they live here or after they've moved somewhere else.

Just go. We don't need to hear about how angry they are in the process. They can take it somewhere else....the psychology forum, perhaps?

Old 10-29-2018, 08:24 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
We'd LOVE it if they moved! What we DON'T love is people posting about how much they hate our state while they live here or after they've moved somewhere else.

Just go. We don't need to hear about how angry they are in the process. They can take it somewhere else....the psychology forum, perhaps?
Yep, I totally agree with you there. It's like some have to leave and make a Big Stink on their way out flipping the bird to CA and all those crazy liberals that voted the losers into office, yada, yada, yada. It's seems like sour grapes and bad form whether they like their new home or not. Why so bitter?

Does California have real problems? Of course it does. No one will deny that. But so does every other state in the nation. That being said, I don't think all threads discussing potential reasons to move are a bad thing. They can actually be healthy. One does have to count the cost among other factors when making a decision. Though quite a few can devolve into a rag session on the state when certain individuals get on their hobby horses (same ole' song and dance). Many of those are politically motivated and also belong in another forum vs. hiding their agenda within an honest question being asked.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-29-2018 at 08:32 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 09:29 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes for most of the 20th Century it was a place to move to. I was born and raised in CA and saw it go that way and then change and I have lived in LA, OC, SD Counties and the I.E. Now it is going the other way.

Most of the kids I knew in school and have some contact with or know about, have left CA and many could easily afford to stay.

The well educated and well connected are some of the ones moving to CA, but again many highly educated and well connected have left. Many well educated and well connected do not want to waste their money in CA

The middle class is slowly shrinking. The growth is not Citizens moving in, rather birth and foreign immigrants. V

Still my favorite State as a location, but the quality of life there is going down.
Seeing where you lived inCA I can understand why you think the quality of life in “CA” has gone downhill. The other 95% of CA has not gone downhill. If LA and the other places you mentioned were all that CA was I would have left too.

Edit: A thought hit me. I see people from LA on this board saying they can’t wait to leave CA. But why don’t we see people from Bakersfield or Modesto or the Gold Country saying the same. Now why is that?

Last edited by Mr5150; 10-29-2018 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California