Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:36 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times

Advertisements

Toughie. I always loved it around Tahoe, but I'd rather be on the Nevada side anyway. Bay Area is where I was born and raised...maybe Napa Valley, or perhaps out in the Delta. I haven't seen much of SoCal unfortunately, but perhaps also something in San Diego, or one out in the desert. There's so many places in the state, it's hard to pick just one, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 12:53 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Montecito. Anything else would be a distant second...maybe somewhere near Mill Valley in Marin County.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:58 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,207 times
Disneyland. So clean...no gangs. I'm talking inside Disneyland

Izzy

Old 12-19-2006, 07:36 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Disneyland. So clean...no gangs. I'm talking inside Disneyland

That is soooo funny; I've always had a secret desire to live in the Swiss Family Robinson tree house!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:26 AM

149 posts, read 1,022,666 times
So hard to choose! Carmel, Los Altos Hills, Big Sur, would be a nice start.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:32 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Hollywood Hills midcentury
or
Venice Beach Contemporary
or
Malibu Beachfront
or
Pasadena Mansion

Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 AM

59 posts, read 649,449 times
Hmmm, I still like San Diego so I would stay here and get a house in Rancho Santa Fe or Santa Luz. Then buy a vacation house along the central coast around Cambria just for the piece and quite and beautiful open land, maybe buy Hearst Castle...LOL

Time to buy a lotto ticket!

Old 12-19-2006, 12:34 PM

128 posts, read 638,513 times
Default California Dreamin In Trimesters

A life in California as an adult (hetero) with money as no object:

First Trimester:

age 18-30 UCLA or USC or UCSD? Couldn't be better, more fun, more
opportunity, more future business connections, more
gorgeous guys/girls, more parties, more vitality, better tan

Second Trimester:

age 30 - 50 Getting married? Kids are an issue in Ca. But when money is
not: you think.....better family values, slower normal pace, nice quaint small town feeling with intimate friends and lots to do with them, beautiful sunny weather, an overwhelming sense of safe, fresh, and clean every time you walk out your door, and a lid on your kids lives....these things will take center stage.
It's:
Montecito, Montecito, and Montecito. Or,
Corona Del Mar, Corona Del Mar, Corona Del Mar.

Third Trimester:

age 50 - 65+ :

Retire in Montecito. Join the Yacht Club, or Country Club. Ride horses, sail, cruise, golf, you name it. Never have to drive anywhere else.. Not in the middle of a massive Freeway system like anywhere in OC.....but everything is there for you to enjoy. Walking, biking, theatre, beach, mountains, isolated nature walks, privacy, or lots of people...you choose. Go to the Biltmore for lunch with your buds, play some golf, give some money to the Zoo so you can take your grandkids there and have a bench with your name on it, and go home and kiss the ground you are walking on because you have lived one hell of a storybook life.

The California Plan is a simple one. You just need the Cash

Old 12-19-2006, 02:49 PM

144 posts, read 935,676 times
This would be a dream come true.

I would have multiple homes. My main residence would be in Rancho Santa Fe. 10+ Acres, soraing Eucluptyus trees everywhere + palm trees and other tropical plants galore with the required orange tree field. The house would be either a Mediteranian or a Spanish Colonial Revival style with around 9000 SqFt. Tennis court, guest house, pool house, all the goodies for ideal RSF living.

Actually, my dream home can be found at www.theultimateestate.com (broken link)

My beach house would be in La Jolla Farms, with a gondala from the bluff to the beach. 6000Sqft, 5 acres.

My other houses would include a 5000sqft historic spanish home high in the hills above monticito/Santa Barbara with the stunning view on 15+ acres.

Some more include a 2000Sqft cabin in Big Sur, hidden in the hills somewhere with that truly breathtaking view. 10 acres with a lot of trees.

A historic mansion in Pacific Heights with the view of the bay and bridge. 6-7K sqft. There was a house in AD that fits this discription exactly. Huge underground garage for all the toys (top down in a Ferrari on a crisp clear SF day anyone?)

To top it off, I would have a penthouse at the top of the Harbor Club in San Diego with the amazing view. 5,000 Sqft.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:57 PM

13 posts, read 72,472 times
Default You're making me homesick!

I moved from California to Idaho....
California is still my dream location. Its just so hard to stay when property taxes are about 1,000 dollars a year for the same house that in California would be 9,000 a year. Not only that, I can get 10 times more house and land up in Idaho. But I guess with all the money I will be saving here, I can fly down a few times a year - but its still not the same as living the California lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California