Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 10:34 AM

5,751 posts, read 2,756,430 times

Advertisements

I just spoke with our Chico office and I fear there is going to be much more sadness to come before the end of this. The winds caused the fire to grow so incredibly fast that it grew from 10 acres to 18,000 acres in about 4 hours. It also happened while people were sleeping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 10:36 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,264,267 times
Our friends are just outside the evacuation area in Chico, and I'm very hopeful that the fire can be contained before it breaches the city proper. Chico is an important regional resource. Even its partial loss to wildfire would be a horrible hardship for Northern California. I've read that Chico State is now closed. I assume that everyone in the city is on tenterhooks right now waiting to see what the future holds for the fire. I appreciate those who are keeping those of us who are following this fire's progress updated. You'll not be far from my thoughts today.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-09-2018 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 11:22 AM

19,108 posts, read 16,492,516 times
A news report from this morning. It's hard to watch
https://youtu.be/Jo9XmV8hJNY

Old 11-09-2018, 11:40 AM

5,662 posts, read 11,211,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks for your kind thoughts and yes, we all need to pray for those in an around Paradise. My father and step mom lived there for about 30 years after dad retired. I loved to visit them and always though, if we returned to Ca to live, Paradise would be our choice of locations. Now, our family have all gone on to a better life,so we are not directly affected by the fires, but it still breaks my heart to think about those who are
My mother & step father lived in Paradise in the 1980s & 1990s after both were retired. They lived under the huge pine trees not far from Pence Rd, not far from the hospital. That looks like the area that has been completely burned. When I lived in the SF bay area, I went to visit them on weekends, about once every six weeks or so. I got to know the area pretty well in all of those visits. I always thought about the danger from a wildfire, and wondered what would happen if a bad fire ever took off in the Feather River canyon. This is far worse than what I ever imagined would happen.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:54 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Our friends are just outside the evacuation area in Chico, and I'm very hopeful that the fire can be contained before it breaches the city proper. Chico is an important regional resource. Even its partial loss to wildfire would be a horrible hardship for Northern California. I've read that Chico State is now closed. I assume that everyone in the city is on tenterhooks right now waiting to see what the future holds for the fire. I appreciate those who are keeping those of us who are following this fire's progress updated. You'll not be far from my thoughts today.
My parents are buried in Chico.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,264,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My parents are buried in Chico.
In the main cemetery? Our family friends live not far from there near Bidwell Park. As an aside, my former house in Sonoma County just barely escaped the last terrifying series of wildfires. It seems ridiculous that it never dawned on me at the time how vulnerable we were. I never thought to prepare go bags for wildfire. Oh, the naivete of youth!

Last edited by randomparent; 11-09-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 11-09-2018, 12:19 PM

271 posts, read 245,116 times
I went to Chico State and still have friends there. Keeping everyone in our thoughts and prayers here in NY.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM

102,076 posts, read 106,933,722 times
I shudder to think of the instances in the last year or two, that C-D has recommended Paradise for people looking for affordable CA locations, along with Gold Country in general. I've wondered what the wildfire risk is in those areas. I guess we just found out.

My brother's recovering from heart surgery, with lung issues as well, in Fremont. The Bay Area is socked in with smoke from this fire.

So, now....where do we recommend for people seeking relo advice? You know the kind of inquiries: "good schools, family-oriented place, affordable rent/RE..." Do we declare the whole state a potential fire zone?

Old 11-09-2018, 12:23 PM

367 posts, read 417,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
The winds caused the fire to grow so incredibly fast that it grew from 10 acres to 18,000 acres in about 4 hours. It also happened while people were sleeping.
Wow...this is insane. Paradise is such a beautiful down, whenever I'd been there I wished I ended up living there (had spent a couple of months staying in-town). Had been there again this spring and it was just out of this world beautiful and cozy town, with all the tall pine trees among the houses. Wanted to buy a house there a couple of years ago, but when driving in on outskirts of town: always got scary vibe that everything was ready to burn, like a match box, very dried out and ended up not buying... Major insurers had been refusing to insure in-town for some time. I'm hoping it won't get to Magalia and also the nature park near Paradise lake, with all the old-growth huge trees that are there, these trees are irreplaceable.

I wonder what started it. It seems to have started in the town of Pulga. That "town" (was a ghost town earlier) was purchased by some people 2.5 years ago who turned it into a private resort/art commune, built many small cabins and structures which look like possibly unpermitted construction, I wonder if there was any unorthodox/homemade wiring...also hosted big hipster gatherings including camp outs, could be a campfire or a cigarette thrown by a guest. They don't know the cause of fire yet.

Last edited by Usrname; 11-09-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-09-2018, 12:25 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
In the main cemetery? Our family friends live not far from there near Bidwell Park.
yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California