Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 02:03 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,748,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Action News focuses on the area involved so they have a live stream of news of what's going on. If interested in watching up to date info, you can watch it here. https://www.actionnewsnow.com/livestream/
Only 5% contained and over 70K acres burned. More fatalities expected. This is really sad.
Thank you for this link. Absolutely mind-boggling. What a terrible tragedy. I know Paradise well (or should I say "knew") and can't even fathom what the future holds for everyone who is displaced. Words truly fail me right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 02:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,303,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Thank you for this link. Absolutely mind-boggling. What a terrible tragedy. I know Paradise well (or should I say "knew") and can't even fathom what the future holds for everyone who is displaced. Words truly fail me right now.
It's going to be a struggle, particularly for housing. Sonoma County's rental market was really stressed in the aftermath of the Tubbs fire. Lots of people spent many months sleeping on friends' couches while they tried to piece back together their lives, and some of them probably still are.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:21 PM

102,110 posts, read 107,284,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
A news report from this morning. It's hard to watch
https://youtu.be/Jo9XmV8hJNY
"....Paradise is in ruins".

Old 11-09-2018, 03:12 PM

19,158 posts, read 16,566,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"....Paradise is in ruins".

Not just ruins, it's gone.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:23 PM

128,654 posts, read 11,901,697 times
Quote:
I shudder to think of the instances in the last year or two, that C-D has recommended Paradise for people looking for affordable CA locations, along with Gold Country in general. I've wondered what the wildfire risk is in those areas. I guess we just found out.

My brother's recovering from heart surgery, with lung issues as well, in Fremont. The Bay Area is socked in with smoke from this fire.

So, now....where do we recommend for people seeking relo advice? You know the kind of inquiries: "good schools, family-oriented place, affordable rent/RE..." Do we declare the whole state a potential fire zone?

The entire state of California is full of natural threats, wildfires, & earthquakes, even a volcano ( Lassen) that erupted just one hundred years ago. But we love to live here anyway.

I was living in San Francisco when we had the 89 earthquake & that took many lives too. But it did not stop the area from growing.

Floods & mudslides wrecked parts of Marin & Santa Cruz counties too,in recent years.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
The entire state of California is full of natural threats, wildfires, & earthquakes, even a volcano ( Lassen) that erupted just one hundred years ago. But we love to live here anyway.

I was living in San Francisco when we had the 89 earthquake & that took many lives too. But it did not stop the area from growing.
I still feel bad that we (collectively) may have recommended Paradise to a few people, maybe one or two of whom may have actually moved there, as a result.

But I guess it's the luck of the draw, isn't it? But still, what about all of Gold Country? We've recommended the Placerville area, Truckee, Tahoe, etc. I suppose any forested area is at risk.... IDK, I'm struggling to get my mind around this.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:46 PM

19,158 posts, read 16,566,103 times
Quote:
I still feel bad that we (collectively) may have recommended Paradise to a few people, maybe one or two of whom may have actually moved there, as a result.

But I guess it's the luck of the draw, isn't it? But still, what about all of Gold Country? We've recommended the Placerville area, Truckee, Tahoe, etc. I suppose any forested area is at risk.... IDK, I'm struggling to get my mind around this.
I can understand your concern that people may have taken the advice of people here on CD but do you really believe they didn't do their own research after the recommendation or visit the place before actually moving there?

If there's a lesson to be learned here it is, don't tell someone they should move there. Tell them to research it thoroughly before doing so. However, I'm fairly certain intelligent people know to do that. Wildfires in forest covered areas of California or areas near forest land are expected. Those who don't understand that have no business moving to such areas in the first place.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:54 PM

356 posts, read 222,777 times
Quote:

My husband took his brother up to Paradise in October 2017, scouting potential retirement homes.

When they returned, my brother in law said he thought it was a beautiful area, but he wasn’t comfortable with fire risk, so he’d keep looking.

He made a good call.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
My husband took his brother up to Paradise in October 2017, scouting potential retirement homes.

When they returned, my brother in law said he thought it was a beautiful area, but he wasn’t comfortable with fire risk, so he’d keep looking.

He made a good call.
Where did he end up?

Old 11-09-2018, 04:23 PM

367 posts, read 418,699 times
I guess a recent home buyer would have known once they'd get in touch with home insurance, which happens before purchase; as I mentioned, big insurers wouldn't issue new policies there for some time now.
There were less known companies and coverage with the State as another option.
This article had been written 3 years ago and describes insurance troubles:
https://wikirealty.com/discussion/pa...a-home-buyers/

This one is from 2 years ago, they've been dropping existing policies:
https://krcrtv.com/news/butte-county...01607142210303

I remember how my appointment to see homes in Paradise had been cancelled, because realtor had to evacuate from town ASAP because of fire threat another year...this definitely was a wake up call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California