U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2018, 11:51 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,393,734 times

Advertisements

Toxins can be absorbed through the skin too. I would not take a shower in this water. I hope you can find some relief from the above suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 03:46 PM

69,175 posts, read 5,472,195 times
Ask for the denial of benefits in writing, then go to Fema, they may pay for some temp accommodations, but only once the insurance refuses. That insurance company is crazy, they do not have to pay for the loss of your home, yet they are nit picking a hotel/meals.

It seems to me, the water situation alone, should be enough to start the alternative living provisions, on your policy. Have you reached your limits yet?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:56 PM

1,330 posts, read 769,751 times
We have $ 4,200 expenses after six weeks, this includes motel, groceries and dining out at Denny's or at the China Doll, my favorite place in Red Bluff. Our limit is $ 106,900 for loss of use only plus a lot more for contents etc.
I called the Insurance Commission and they didn't know if lack of water makes a home unfit for occupation. The guy said I need to go the their website, download a form, print it and mail it back and they will look into it.
We barely have wi-fi, let alone a printer.
They are completely useless, our tax dollars at work.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:57 AM

87,982 posts, read 81,878,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
We have $ 4,200 expenses after six weeks, this includes motel, groceries and dining out at Denny's or at the China Doll, my favorite place in Red Bluff. Our limit is $ 106,900 for loss of use only plus a lot more for contents etc.
I called the Insurance Commission and they didn't know if lack of water makes a home unfit for occupation. The guy said I need to go the their website, download a form, print it and mail it back and they will look into it.
We barely have wi-fi, let alone a printer.
They are completely useless, our tax dollars at work.
The Chico public library will have computers and a printer.

Paperwork is what gets the ball rolling, mg. Do it; you never know what ripple effect it might have. It might help others. It could uncover a bigger issue, and snowball into something that might set a precedent. You never know. The public library is your friend.

Hugs from me, mg. Stay chipper. Fight the good fight. I know you're tired and struggling to cope, but filling out a document won't take much effort, and could bring about some good. Keep on keeping' on. Thank you for posting about these issues. Your posts point out major gaps in the system, that may seem minor to whatever officials you talk to, but have a big impact on individuals and families.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:42 PM

13,740 posts, read 11,791,645 times
Good advice about the library, Ruth. I often forget they have internet and printers.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:14 PM

Chico is a madhouse. The initial welcome for Paradise refugees is gone, and I don't blame them, the life in a small city suddenly turned upside down with the influx.
Fema planned to bring 300 trucks a day full of demolished waste to a neighborhood full of kids and family homes. Chico protested, and rightfully so. There are thousands of vacant acres of land much closer, so that was a horrendous idea which backfired on Fema.
Then they wanted to put 300 trailers in a quiet residential neighborhood, and that was also protested, again, rightfully so.

A story from Cottonwood, a family offered help to a Paradise refugee and let him move in to their own home. When things did not work out the person grabbed a chainsaw, demolished the home and set it on fire. I don't have all the details.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:40 PM

Wow, so much for good will toward man.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:29 PM

First good news in a long time. Jim Ladrini, the superintendent of Paradise Irrigation District (PID) somehow had seen my posts on Nextdoor, yes, on poor, much maligned Nextdoor, and asked for our phone number in a private e mail. I replied, he called, and treated me like an old friend from high school. The very first kind and caring words from the town leadership.

Jim Ladrini set up an appointment, at our convenience, on a Sunday morning too ! and he sent us a technician to turn on our water. It's not drinkable, but washing clothes and hands is OK.
We can live with that. Thank you, Mr. Ladrini, if we had more leaders like him our life after the fire could be much better.

By the way we learned more from posting and checking others' posts on "Nextdoor Redbud" than from any other media source.
The Paradise Post online edition was also helpful, while our local TV news is more like entertainment than serious information.

One of these days I will drink a glass of tap water. If I'll never post here again you can all guess what happened.

Last edited by mgforshort; 12-23-2018 at 08:09 PM..

Old 12-23-2018, 09:13 PM

That is good news, mgforshort. After reading your comments about how the "good will" of man has died in Chico, Mr. Ladrini restores some faith that not everyone are soulless goons. Sorry to hear the water isn't potable but, like you say, okay for laundry. Be careful about washing hands, though. Remember, skin is the largest organ of the body and if poisons like round up can soak in, so can bacteria from plain old water. Can you say, "HEY CULLIGAN MAN!" j/k Glad to know you got help.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:46 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,648,199 times
Fantastic news! The milk of human kindness does still exist. Nextdoor has been a big help down here in Roseville too. There were numerous people in my Nextdoor neighborhood who gathered and transported donations up to Paradise. We have many evacuees here - it's very hard to find rental housing due to that. The Nextdoor community has been great at gathering household supplies and furniture for those who had to rent unfurnished places.

Now, mgforshort, hopefully you can concentrate on making the next chapter of your lives take place. I looked at the real estate listings for Paradise today - there are surviving houses from the fire listed. It's so strange to see the listing photos of those houses surrounded by charred vegetation. It will be interesting to see how long those houses take to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California