Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 06:37 PM

367 posts, read 420,905 times

Advertisements

Even if mill completely shuts down it always can be purchased and started in another incarnation. Unless the property is re-zoned from heavy industrial, there's always a risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 11:24 AM

For those who're looking for a place to relocate out-of-state, there's nationwide Natural Hazards Housing Risk Heat Map, showing data for all individual counties.
One can view info by each hazard selecting radio buttons (for wildfire, tornado, hurricane, hail, flood, earthquake or select "all hazards"), and by clicking on each county can see real estate data (home appreciation/"HPA", % of homes underwater, median price). I see they don't list volcano risk (not sure if tsunami inundation is included into "flood"). Pretty nice map. Can start with the countywide info and then pull detailed local map from FEMA, state fire department, etc.

https://www.attomdata.com/news/marke...ng-risk-index/

Last edited by Usrname; 11-12-2018 at 11:41 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 11:30 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Usrname, that's a really interesting map. Poor California. There isn't one place that isn't listed as high risk.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Usrname, that's a really interesting map. Poor California. There isn't one place that isn't listed as high risk.
Yes, and this is mainly because of earthquake hazard, "wildfire" view is milder overall for CA. I wish they made by-zip code map available.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:44 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
A map by zip code would really narrow it down. There must be one that insurance companies use to set rates as the cost varies area to area.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
For those who're looking for a place to relocate out-of-state, there's nationwide Natural Hazards Housing Risk Heat Map, showing data for all individual counties.
One can view info by each hazard selecting radio buttons (for wildfire, tornado, hurricane, hail, flood, earthquake or select "all hazards"), and by clicking on each county can see real estate data (home appreciation/"HPA", % of homes underwater, median price). I see they don't list volcano risk (not sure if tsunami inundation is included into "flood"). Pretty nice map. Can start with the countywide info and then pull detailed local map from FEMA, state fire department, etc.

https://www.attomdata.com/news/marke...ng-risk-index/
This is fascinating. I checked Del Norte County, which includes Crescent City, which was devastated by a tsunami back in the 1960's and is very high risk for tsunamis, and it only checked as high risk when I clicked on the earthquake button - not the flood button. So, it looks like they're considering tsunamis to be under "earthquake" risk. The tsunami that wiped out the downtown area in the 1960's was caused by an earthquake in Alaska.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This is fascinating. I checked Del Norte County, which includes Crescent City, which was devastated by a tsunami back in the 1960's and is very high risk for tsunamis, and it only checked as high risk when I clicked on the earthquake button - not the flood button. So, it looks like they're considering tsunamis to be under "earthquake" risk. The tsunami that wiped out the downtown area in the 1960's was caused by an earthquake in Alaska.
Yes, they might have put it under earthquakes, because tsunamis are caused by them. I've seen a tsunami inundation risk map of Crescent City before...seems like only a part of town is shown as being in danger, and most of the current town area seems to be off the hook, at least according to the map.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:41 PM

987 posts, read 779,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
As we all know CA has been devastated by fires especially within the past several years when combined with our drought conditions. There's no easy solution to the problem which is tragic on multiple levels.

With these most recent tragedies in mind, how much of the state would you consider fire prone when in drought conditions? Secondly, do you think its hard to give relocation advice to those thinking of relocating knowing the potential danger?

When I think about the state's current condition after driving through the foothills and mountains recently, it seems like we are still just experiencing the tip of the iceberg. Much of it appears to be a tinder box which the smallest spark could easily ignite. Given that, it's pretty hard to know where the next big devastating fire could break out. Where will the next Paradise be? It seems pretty obvious that it's not so much a question of 'if' anymore but rather where and when. These will certainly not be the last destructive fires to hit our state.

There also seems to be false hope given to homeowners if they simply clear some brush and make a defensible barrier they should be safe/ok. Unfortunately, with these huge firestorms, no barrier will stop them ravaging a neighborhood or even a town like Paradise or Santa Rosa. My aunt and uncle lost their home in Santa Rosa last year and nearly their lives while escaping the quickly moving blaze by the skin of their teeth. If they had not woken up in the middle of the night, answered their phone and quickly got out they would have died in their home.

Derek
The only thing that I can add is there has to be new ways to fight these fires. It really is very simple. This is a Multi Million dead president question moving into a New industry

The blocks and masonry that halt fire. We need this technology. As well as the Mortar and hurricane speed retardant masonry Blocks The Tech guy is already there. I cannot find my links right now but google Google to death and its there. I think it was either based out of AZ or NV the masonry blocks that withstand hurricanes as well as wildfire heat

Old 11-14-2018, 09:42 PM

987 posts, read 779,462 times
And ad far as fighting these massive CA wildfires

I remember when the fire fighters used to do "Controlled Burns" Does anyone remember that?

ANd Fire fighting needs to be more in the home owners hands to not just trim the trees but to take more steps. I myself like a few and I want to be a less fire retardant property owner. There really should be more rebates or free help for weed abatement and tree and shrub abatement DUH Lets prevent the fires from SPREADING FROM OVER GROWN TREES AND FOILAGE THAT YOU LOVE BUT WILL BURN YOU IN THE END

Last edited by lostsoul359; 11-14-2018 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 06:29 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
There are all kinds of notions about what it actually takes to keep fire out of one's home. Unfortunately, as several of these last fires have proven no one is immune when they move through that fast.
Yes, and apparently residents of Paradise are determined to re-build there. Amazing.

Paradise vows to rebuild even as death toll and number of missing rises - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California