Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:49 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times

Advertisements

I'm confused, then again I don't live in CA. Isn't the Use Tax for items purchased in states where you are not charged a sales tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 11:20 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Percenter View Post
The amount of time I spend in the state DOES matter. 10 days later and I would owe $0.
No. It doesn’t matter. What do you not understand. You purchased a car in this state and you registered it in your name. That purchase has a tax attached to it. Thats the use tax. You’re paying the tax on the purchase.

Btw you would probably be paying the tax even if you registered in the other state as it was a registration name change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I'm confused, then again I don't live in CA. Isn't the Use Tax for items purchased in states where you are not charged a sales tax?
Usually trailers automobiles boats etc. when you registervthe vehicle you pay a use tax. This stops people from going out of state to buy cars, boats, trailers and bring them back. There are some time limits etc. but that’s what it’s for.

If you buy a used car you are usually charged a use tax on the sale. This gets applied when you register the vehicle.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:34 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No. It doesn’t matter. What do you not understand. You purchased a car in this state....
Perhaps you should go back and read the first post. They did not buy the car in this state.

Your best bet is waiting 10 days and then going to register it. Go to a different DMV if you have to.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Perhaps you should go back and read the first post. They did not buy the car in this state.

Your best bet is waiting 10 days and then going to register it. Go to a different DMV if you have to.
Perhaps you should understand the laws. The calculator on the CA DMV site sucks, but somewhere between 1 and 3 years of ownership is how long before the sales tax is no longer due. I thought it was 1 year. You do get credit on the tax paid to another state, but if you paid nothing you'll owe the entire amount.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:48 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Perhaps you should understand the laws.
I'm well aware of the laws. You stated that the OP bought the car in state which they did not.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:34 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
You should have looked at how it works and adjusted the date by 10 days. Too bad so sad...

Old 11-15-2018, 07:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Percenter View Post
Can anybody suggest an actionable approach to try and get out of paying this ridiculous car use tax in CA when I bought my car in another state almost a year ago? I was in another state almost the entire year save about 10 days.

Like an honest citizen, I dated my car registration form honestly instead of fudging the date. Now I owe over $1100 when I wasn’t even in CA almost the whole year! If I had fudged the date I would owe $0! How does that make any sense?!!!

Now I am a Kafkaesque nightmare. I have about 30 days left on a temporary registration to try and find relief from paying this tax. I went to a local CDTFA office (California Department of Tax and Fee Administration). I got the expected bureaucratic response of there was no possible relief from the tax.

Anybody have any suggested actions to take? Obviously I am open to ideas since this is going to otherwise cost me $1,100.
So you learned something - do research first. It might have been an expensive lesson, but suck it up and pay. Or just call it what it is: "a less than super intelligent" tax.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:39 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
It sucks dude. Welcome to Cali, where they bed you over a 1000 different ways to squeeze every last drop of blood out of you.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:53 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
I'd skip the DMV and go to a AAA facility. Here in CA, AAA can do just about everything the DMV does when it comes to cars and trucks. They also offer advice. AAA cannot help you with your drivers license.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I'm well aware of the laws. You stated that the OP bought the car in state which they did not.
Ok you got me on that small thing. It doesn’t matter anyway. As far as the state is concerned he bought the vehicle and when he came in the state he wasn’t past the amount of time that would not of triggered a use tax fee. Since he didn’t he now owes the use tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California