Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:33 PM

111 posts, read 275,619 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that virtually everyone who isnt mexo is really concerned with what these people have done to our state and our economy in the past 20 years. Why is nothing being done? What can we do? we should DO somthing. We need to get somthing organized and get some new proposition for next election. If people get organized enough i feel we could do somthing. This needs to stop, california was and still is the strongest state in the economy, if we go down, the country will go down too. As the saying goes.... as goes california, so goes the nation.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:58 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times
I bet if they were all 19 year old French girls there would not be much complaining.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:37 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
I bet if they were all 19 year old French girls there would not be much complaining.
As long as they spoke English, not French.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:09 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrobert View Post
It seems to me that virtually everyone who isnt mexo is really concerned with what these people have done to our state and our economy in the past 20 years. Why is nothing being done? What can we do? we should DO somthing. We need to get somthing organized and get some new proposition for next election. If people get organized enough i feel we could do somthing. This needs to stop, california was and still is the strongest state in the economy, if we go down, the country will go down too. As the saying goes.... as goes california, so goes the nation.
Well . . . maybe we can look to see what sort of things are already out there and post thoughts on what we see the problem(s) as being and look at what is feeding the sustained import of illegals, and brainstorm solutions. Many others are doing things and discussing nationally. Any good resource links would be helpful, so I will keep my eyes open and post them. So I have a challenge for posters. What is the problem, what is supporting the import of the illegals and keeping them here? What are their incentives and rewards? How have WE benefitted from illegals? How have we benefitted by NOT doing something about this problem? What is working as a counteractive to the import of illegals and how can we replicate in California statewide? What changes do we need to propose based on this information? Just thoughts. One last question . . . what benefits can Californians attain by dealing with this problem? What is our vision--our proposed outcome? I value diversity. I value education. I value safety. I value communities. I value the possiblity and avalibility of opportunity for all of our citizenry--not holding them up, but not placing walls there either. All should have at least one shot at success of some sort. They can chose or not to take it. These are my goals when I think of getting rid of illegals, so our time and energy and resources can go to the support and betterment of our citizens.

One thing that really surprises me is when Tancredo has gone to institutions to talk about the problem he has been physically threatened and attacked. This concerns me as this problem of being attacked by these people will only grow worse as that population and their power grows (AND IT WILL UNLESS SOMETHNG CHANGES). So how can we stop turn around as Californians and fight back to preserve California as a U.S. state?

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 12-15-2006 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Content

Old 12-15-2006, 02:16 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times
"Follow the money,, the reasons why illegals are not dealt with has completely to do with money

Old 12-15-2006, 02:22 PM

29 posts, read 181,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
"Follow the money,, the reasons why illegals are not dealt with has completely to do with money
So true!! Democrats want the illegal voters and Republicans want the cheap labor. Unfortunately when the people try to do something about it like propositions 187, 22 and the like some whacked out judge will throw it out!! In the meantime California is losing top quality people to other states, too bad.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:28 PM

Yes. I must agree with this. So whose money?

My initial lists.
1. Corporations
2. Small and Mid size businesses
3. Landlords also benefit
4. Does the U.S. government and our state government with their taxes? I am unclear about how many do and do not pay taxes.
5. Home owners that have landscaping done, but also I don't have figures, but I would like to see some of a cost benefit analysis of employing illegals versus employing regular citizens and how this impact all of our costs as Californians.
6. How does the minimum wage impact the employment of illegals or does it?
7. THE CITIZENS OF MEXICO BENEFIT HUGE FINANCIALLY!!!!
8. THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO BENEFITS IN THE BILLIONS!!!!
10. What other countries besides ours?
11. How much do the respective California city and county govenments benefit from illegals?
12. The illegals benefit.
13. How much do legal Latino family members benefit?

We need to get complete clarity, as I must agree the money is the impetus on all levels. Let's brainstorm all that benefit and how. Then we can build a base of statistics to support and also brainstorm solutions.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:30 PM

14. Oh yeah, the politicians on all levels (local, city, county, state). Which ones benefit and how do they benefit financially? Is there even more benefit then financial?

Old 12-15-2006, 02:31 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,917 times
The real solution would be to do something to help strengthen Mexico's economy as well as help end their corruption. I've said this in other threads. By deporting, reporting, jailing illegals we are just slapping a bandaid on the problem and not dealing with the core of it. It would cost far less in the long run if we could go into Mexico and help strengthen their political and economical situation much like we're wasting our time trying to do in Iraq. I am definitely NOT saying we should start a war with them or invade them, just offer our help to deal with the route of the problem.

It shouldn't be "How do we deal with the influx of illegals?" it should be "How do we make Mexicans want to stay where they are?" If things are good in their home country, they will have no reason to come here. Our military would be much better served here in the U.S. and Mexico dealing with very real problems at home rather than ones far away that are too far gone to even hope to resolve.

Hispanics are deeply intrenched in their culture of Catholicism and family which on the surface doesn't sound terrible but the underlying fact is that it is their biggest problem. The problem Catholics deal with is the lack of using protection or utilizing abortions when they are not prepared or financially stable enough to support children. It is also a problem because it takes emphasis away from education and puts it more on just "making it with family". When illegal immigrants with very little education come into the country and have their babies and are poor they are really dam*ing themselves. How can they expect to have a good life when they speak a different language, have a different culture, have no money and no education? In America, that is not a formula for success. We need to start by helping Mexico instead of just fighting the influx. I think fighting it in various ways that we can with fences, deportation, more enforcement, harsher penalties for violators etc. should be used in the short term but why not come up with a solution that would better EVERYONE involved?

There would be so much less hate and divisions if we stopped trying to fight and divide and started helping each other.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:57 PM

13 posts, read 73,807 times
Quote:
So true!! Democrats want the illegal voters and Republicans want the cheap labor.
Do you really think many illegals succeed in voting? I would doubt that. Remember, you registered to vote probably at the DMV or something. I can't remember what they checked here in Virginia to register me - at least my driver's license but it might have been my passport. And they checked my passport and soc security card to issue my driver's license.

However, I'd guess Dem officeholders probably want the cheap labor too - as do (I imagine) their wealthiest constituants, though probably not the majority of their constituants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California