Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:46 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm mostly floored because Paradise supposedly received over 50 inches of rain last year, which is more than most cities in the Midwest.

Shortly after the Camp Fire started, I read on a newspaper site (don't remember which one) that Paradise had had less than 1" of rain since May of this year. Even with 50 inches of rain the prior year, that fact means that everything is tinder-dry by the time the summer ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 08:01 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Shortly after the Camp Fire started, I read on a newspaper site (don't remember which one) that Paradise had had less than 1" of rain since May of this year. Even with 50 inches of rain the prior year, that fact means that everything is tinder-dry by the time the summer ends.
As already stated...that is not particularly abnormal. Many parts of California get little to no rain between May and November. There is clearly more happening to exacerbate these firestorms than lack of summer rain, because we've always had lack of summer rain and plants are always bone dry by fall.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:08 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Wow... It's incredible to go from that much rain to that little rain. Less than an inch in 6 months is definitely drought conditions, that makes a lot more sense to me now. The area must have been like a tinder box, waiting for a match.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:23 AM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
It has always been hot & dry over the summers. The rains only come in the winter months. Dense forests & too much pine straw on the ground. Plus PGE not maintaining its equipment. Our home is a total loss.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:53 AM

585 posts, read 634,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
It has always been hot & dry over the summers. The rains only come in the winter months. Dense forests & too much pine straw on the ground. Plus PGE not maintaining its equipment. Our home is a total loss.
Oh Man, evening sun, that sucks! I am so sorry you have lost so much! . It is kind and generous of you to take a few moments of your grieving time to help educate us on what happened and to share your experience here.

EDJ

Old 11-18-2018, 12:26 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Wow... It's incredible to go from that much rain to that little rain. Less than an inch in 6 months is definitely drought conditions, that makes a lot more sense to me now. The area must have been like a tinder box, waiting for a match.
Here in Southern Oregon we have had only an inch of rain since July, we could sure use a whole lot more.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:31 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Oh Man, evening sun, that sucks! I am so sorry you have lost so much! . It is kind and generous of you to take a few moments of your grieving time to help educate us on what happened and to share your experience here.

EDJ

Well sitting in a motel room is boring. Can't go for a decent walk, as it is too smoky. Being on the internet is a good distraction.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:34 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not exactly. I looked this issue up the other day, when someone first mentioned he'd vetoed that bill. He said he vetoed it, because there was already an ongoing process in place to achieve that goal, and no additional funds were necessary (funding was part of the bill, apparently). Anyway, it was more complex than him being against PG&E doing their job.
Thank you Ruth for the correction. I know that PG&E has a lot of assets through out California and the Pacific Northwest as a whole. They have a huge amount of work to maintain the power lines, however, it is their responsibility to maintain these lines to keep trees away from these lines. I thought this bill was to mandate PG&E's efforts to maintain the lines and enforced by the California Public Utilities Commission.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
An article in the LA Times has a pretty good description of the conditions that allowed the Camp Fire in Butte County to spread so quickly...

California fire: What started as a tiny brush fire became the state's deadliest wildfire. Here's how.

Quote:
A fire outpost on the Feather River recorded blasts of 52 mph — a bad omen in a national forest that hadn’t had a satisfying rain since May.....

Fifteen minutes later, McKenzie stood at the dam looking helplessly across the river canyon at a 10-acre fire on the rock slope above. He had no way to reach it....

McKenzie appealed for “early up” of the helicopters and air tankers that could attack the fire from above. He was told he’d have to wait....

Cal Fire planes don’t fly before light or if the wind is too fierce, and both the time and weather conspired with the growing fire on Camp Creek Road.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:25 PM

367 posts, read 420,804 times
Mostly, it's non-National Forest land between Pulga (supposed fire origin is somewhere around it and it's a private parcel) and Paradise. NFS land is in green.

Satellite map of Pulga (private resort): electrical transmission lines go right over their cabins, wow....much vegetation/trees is under the lines, no cleared corridor... This is matter regulated by the state and the feds. These should be 115 kV transmission lines. Pictures of resort show heavy vegetation, including right around their cabins. (fire had started away from these structures, supposedly, though)

Last edited by Usrname; 11-18-2018 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California