Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times

Advertisements

Dear California,

What can I say? It's been a long journey. From a young man barely making ends meet, to a guy who is older, wiser, and much more wealthy and has a choice to go anywhere he wants now.

Since early Spring I've been listing every real estate holding I have in California. This week my last two rental properties went into escrow and represented the last of my business assets left in the state. It's been a long process, I moved my original business (a SAAS software company) out of the state years ago along with 70+ jobs, but kept the real estate because the getting was good.

I have a lot of memories of California, mostly good, despite what I've written above. But it's time to move on, for me. To those who stay, I wish you all the best (I really do). I hope you guys figure out a way to bring moderation to the forefront of the polices of the state. I'll admit with Newsom taking office next year as expected, that's probably a slim hope and I figure a lot of you are about to get taxed to the titts, but you guys will figure it out. It no longer concerns me politically, or monetarily.

Good bye California.

Best regards,

CaliRestoration

+10 Points to those who can point out where this is.
+20 Points to those who can identify the restaurant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
It’s Surf City, near the pier.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It’s Surf City, near the pier.
You the man.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Good luck with your move.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Good luck with your move.
Thanks man. I'll be back every once in a while, you know what they say about Hotel California.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 AM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
As a lifelong Californian and a small business owner, I completely understand your sentiment.

I've thought about leaving also, but the situation hasn't gotten bad enough for me yet. We'll see next year.

Curious where you're moving to. Whenever we start searching out potential places to move to, the weather issue also negates it.

Huntington Beach is classic SoCal. I love Lemonade.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 AM

I just noticed my wife is on the stairs looking at the view in that picture.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Dear California,

What can I say? It's been a long journey. From a young man barely making ends meet, to a guy who is older, wiser, and much more wealthy and has a choice to go anywhere he wants now.

Since early Spring I've been listing every real estate holding I have in California. This week my last two rental properties went into escrow and represented the last of my business assets left in the state. It's been a long process, I moved my original business (a SAAS software company) out of the state years ago along with 70+ jobs, but kept the real estate because the getting was good.

I have a lot of memories of California, mostly good, despite what I've written above. But it's time to move on, for me. To those who stay, I wish you all the best (I really do). I hope you guys figure out a way to bring moderation to the forefront of the polices of the state. I'll admit with Newsom taking office next year as expected, that's probably a slim hope and I figure a lot of you are about to get taxed to the titts, but you guys will figure it out. It no longer concerns me politically, or monetarily.

Good bye California.

Best regards,

CaliRestoration

+10 Points to those who can point out where this is.
+20 Points to those who can identify the restaurant
Got to be Huntington Beach and Zimmzys right next to it? Was there this summer and looks very familiar.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:51 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Good Luck amigo, and congrats on the success! Don't forget where you came from. lol

Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
As a lifelong Californian and a small business owner, I completely understand your sentiment.

I've thought about leaving also, but the situation hasn't gotten bad enough for me yet. We'll see next year.

Curious where you're moving to. Whenever we start searching out potential places to move to, the weather issue also negates it.

Huntington Beach is classic SoCal. I love Lemonade.
I wish you all the best in your venture. I hope Newsom and the super majority dem legislature try to help people like you. California needs more like you, more than they realize.

California isn't that bad, it was never "bad" for me. Sure the taxes were high, but the state has a lot of positives. It's just that there were far better places for a person like me, and you can't buy years of life back, no matter how rich you become. Why waste time in a state that is less than optimal for you when you can spend your limited years in a place that is "best" for you? That was my logic anyway.

I'll be spending time between South Carolina, and Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California